Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2137272 times)

Lehmusjoki

Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2009, 08:11:54 am »

Collapsing a sky floor I had given up on, only to see it fall through my fortress, smashing its way down, before hitting a high pressure water pipe, flooding everything. Also, it destroyed the only bridge out.
AMEN!

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 22, 2009, 01:47:01 pm »

At one point in my fortress, I had ~50 cats in one cage, and I had to rebuild it somewhere else to make room for a workshop.

To make a long story short, all of them escaped, half got chucked down a very tall staircase to a splatty doom, and my best carpenter ended up with four kittens following him around.

At least they weren't on fire this time.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 22, 2009, 03:14:49 pm »

Collapsing a sky floor I had given up on, only to see it fall through my fortress, smashing its way down, before hitting a high pressure water pipe, flooding everything. Also, it destroyed the only bridge out.

Sigged
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Agnostic Paladin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 22, 2009, 09:47:44 pm »

And Shift + Enter to select the first however many stones in a group of stones.

I don't have to hit Enter 30 times (or a 100 times) when making floors and roads?

Well Damn.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 22, 2009, 09:53:05 pm »

I don't have to hit Enter 30 times (or a 100 times) when making floors and roads?

Well Damn.

I remember when I didn't know that, ha.  It was brutal.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #260 on: June 23, 2009, 12:18:16 am »

Well Damn.

I remember when I didn't know that, ha.  It was brutal.

On a similar note, discovering that you can use the arrow keys to move walls/roads/etc around before locking them down for construction. I don't have to get them in exactly the right place first try!?
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

ktstyle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 23, 2009, 01:48:34 am »

On my third fortress, at the ocean shore:

"Oh, i killed my first fire imp, must be valuable, I'll butcher it."

2 minutes later: "Smoke in my food store? Fu... The booze is on fire!"

20 minutes and some useless efforts to save the situation later: the last tantrum-crippled dwarf dies of thirst

*sigh*
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 04:06:57 am by ktstyle »

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 23, 2009, 07:32:11 am »

Yeah, I built a 16-z-level dome before I figured out the shift-enter thing...

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 23, 2009, 07:54:48 am »

lol pretty much all the building related problems can be solved by reading the menues
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 23, 2009, 09:39:59 am »

j->m->q

...and realizing that "Manager" wasn't a pointless position.

It wouldn't be much of a facepalm, if it weren't that I'd scanned that list a few dozen times over many forts before realizing what it was for.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 23, 2009, 10:11:43 am »

j->m->q

...and realizing that "Manager" wasn't a pointless position.

It wouldn't be much of a facepalm, if it weren't that I'd scanned that list a few dozen times over many forts before realizing what it was for.

If your manager isn't stuck in bed with a broken arm, it is much easier to fulfill mandates.  You just figure out what you need for the mandate(be it some more metal bars, or just some stuff milled out), and then go tell the manager to manage.  I love managers.  :)
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 23, 2009, 10:16:17 am »

I am working on a megaproject involving casting lots of obsidian, including in some ... hard to reach places. I set up a long pipe to pump magma through, partly dug through the mountain, partly some walls above ground. I set up about 100 lever-operated doors that'll open to mix the magma and the water, walled off a chamber to fill with water from the aquifer, you get the idea. Tons of preparation.

Then I turned on the pumps. The water filled nicely. The magma was moving more slowly. I figured this was due to it being thicker than water. I waited for a few more "cancels pump, exhausted" cycles, and checked the magma again. It hasn't moved.

A freaking tree grew in my pipe.

Now I've got 7/7 magma filling most of a long pipe. I opened up the far end of the pipe to send a woodcutter in to get rid of the tree, but he won't go. I'm going to have to vent the magma out into the grass...
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.
The same guys that think its a good idea to make magmafalls.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 23, 2009, 10:41:53 am »

That's so annoying! Gosh.

Good luck. Try building a detour that's all bendy.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 23, 2009, 11:25:04 am »

Don't vent it into the grass until you evacuate everybody or set up firebreaks. 

Personal experience: I just had the material part of an early fortress wiped out because I forgot to put in the last tile of a magma channel and it went all over the place when the power system got hooked up.  I was able to stop that by the pull of a lever, but by then the magma had ignited the grass and flames were eating my outdoor stockpiles.  My dwarves were only saved by drafting them all and ordering them across the river.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:30:57 am by Skid »
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 23, 2009, 11:56:17 am »

After a large series of announcements I realized that lever was connected to TWO bridges.
And the other bridge...?

By the context I'm going to go ahead and assume that the other bridge was also connected to high-traffic areas, since the most likely announcements are either "we can't get there, boss" or "Urist McButcher is splattered all over the pit, boss"
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 729