Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129866 times)

Oriolous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9075 on: January 07, 2015, 01:00:13 am »

I wanted to start a little well project by channeling down to 2 z-levels to try and fill it up with water. Then I realized it would take ages to fill since the brook with infinite water is at the top of the map and I'm at the bottom. ...and I forgot whether or not dorfs can climb back up their channeled holes so I don't have to sacrifice one when I trigger the brook's flooding of the well.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9076 on: January 07, 2015, 03:11:48 am »

I wanted to start a little well project by channeling down to 2 z-levels to try and fill it up with water. Then I realized it would take ages to fill since the brook with infinite water is at the top of the map and I'm at the bottom. ...and I forgot whether or not dorfs can climb back up their channeled holes so I don't have to sacrifice one when I trigger the brook's flooding of the well.

You can always leave the tile next to the brook intact before connecting the channel with the brook.
If you are digging underground, you can dig a deep enough hole(stairs) on the ground to delay the water/magma so you miner can escape.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9077 on: January 07, 2015, 06:06:56 am »

I have just read about blocks in wiki after making walls and fortifications from three sides of like 100x100 area to secure my main entrance. From rough blocks. Few hundreds of granite stones. It took like two years so far.

Well, it seems doing it from granite blocks would a) be much faster (this hauling! even with dozens of wheelbarrows...), b) allow more to be build from less raw material... I was literally mining halls under my fortress to get more granite stones so as to keep the walls in one colour.  @_@

Now I will probably dismantle all of that, process stones to blocks and rebuilt because I am again low on unmined granite and the fourth side is still not completed. Those 40 idle dwarves in 120 head fort will come handy...

Update edit: Less then one year and all walls removed and rebuilt again from blocks. Yay, it really goes much faster then building from rough stones :D .
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 04:06:19 pm by Detros »
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9078 on: January 08, 2015, 01:51:04 am »

I started a fortress on top of a shrine.
It's inhabitant wasn't particularly pleased with it's new neighbors.
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9079 on: January 11, 2015, 10:00:19 pm »

Well... hehe!

I trapped 20 dwarfs into a cave, waiting for the cave crocodiles to finish them off.  But no!  The cave crocodiles will come up to MY fortress to come and kill us up there, but they won't appear in the cave at all.  So basically they all started to starve and my Butcher started to go insane.  He started to clobber people left and right.  Then a child went insane... and yea.  Always fun to be spammed with those messages!

Then I unlocked the door to my fortress... not a good idea!

So yea, in the end, I had a ton of spamming messages of people calming down from a tantrum, having a tantrum, or being discovered after dying from the insane child/butcher. 
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9080 on: January 13, 2015, 10:28:42 pm »

I embarked on a map with a cave and started a one-dorf only game(kill all but leave one worker). My strategy to explore the cave was simple: building hatches over downward stairs. Everything was well until I noticed my meat stocks raised from 0 to 30 or so. I checked the message it appeared a giant cave spider just visited my fort.

Then I quickly checked the hatch. It was built over an upward stair.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9081 on: January 14, 2015, 08:37:38 pm »

Instead of dumping the stone into magma, the dwarves have all decided to dump it into the corpse pit 174 Z-levels up. All of my populace has been lugging rocks up the stairs for the last 10 minutes.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9082 on: January 15, 2015, 06:28:45 am »

Dumping stone into magma should make more magma, but stone volume has not yet been properly implemented (digging stone should produce an equal volume of boulders and rubble to dump, and putting it in magma should make more magma; what is not to like about more magma?).
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9083 on: January 15, 2015, 10:01:50 pm »

Had an undead seige. Decided to send my 15 dwarf militia out to deal with them. They were all armed, and had some armor. They readied themselves at the sally port, prepared to defend their dwarven brothers and bravely face the undead menace. They raised their weapons, gave a dwarven battle-yell... and ran at the undead one by one, every one dying. They managed to take out a grand total of one zombie. One. Words fail me. The only survivors were my commander and captain, both sleeping off hangovers in the barracks. They now go, to try to succeed where their brothers could not. Wish them luck.
EDIT: Annnnd... They're dead too.
EDIT: Annnnd... So is my fort.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:12:41 pm by palu »
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9084 on: January 15, 2015, 11:58:59 pm »

Not realizing that a Bronze Colossus could easily climb a 1 z-level high wooden wall and moved as quickly as a cat.

My fort lived, but not before 5 dwarves fell.

I guess this means that it's time to update my defenses.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9085 on: January 16, 2015, 12:45:25 am »

I'm honestly not sure 'climb' is the right word to use here.

Step over might be more appropriate.

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9086 on: January 16, 2015, 11:44:11 pm »

Was getting an Evil embark ready, haven't done it in a while. Genned a custom world, handpicked the profile, embarked in the fanciest place possible.
We were feverishly digging in when lo and behold, there they come! Not undead giant ravens or camels or whatnot. A small herd of bunnies prances in. Living bunnies. No abnormal weather or anything, just bunnies. Bloody small living rodents. I felt the urge to slam my head face first into the laptop.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 05:43:29 pm by Vyro »

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9087 on: January 17, 2015, 11:44:33 am »

Just like at the cave of Caerbannoch!
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9088 on: January 18, 2015, 02:35:47 am »

Not realizing that a Bronze Colossus could easily climb a 1 z-level high wooden wall and moved as quickly as a cat.

My fort lived, but not before 5 dwarves fell.

I guess this means that it's time to update my defenses.
Can't climb fortifications.
Add them in addition to a pit.
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Urist McHendrix

• Bay Watcher
  • Oy, Urist, why are you rolling up that rat weed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9089 on: January 19, 2015, 01:00:56 pm »

Not having a proper finished goods stockpile set up yet and having a kea steal some scepter artifact from my surface bone-arrow crafting workshop which is next to the butcher's... Dorfs at my forts often pick magmology over biology. I blame Toady.

Edit: oh yeah, the time I realized how the first animal from the stockpile list are... Toads.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:44:48 pm by Urist McHendrix »
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 729