Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142300 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9045 on: December 21, 2014, 04:46:52 pm »

I just started a new fort.

Within a minute, a torrent of cyan muck started falling from the sky.
Undead yaks guard the river.
The five dwarves who are outside rush to the river to clean themselves and get brained by the yaks.
I haven't even been playing for more than a minute and I'm already down to just my miner and metalsmith.

What's worse is that the rain never seems to end.
It stops for like a second before picking back up.
All of the stuff from the wagon is still outside, getting rained on.

A cat came into the cave and infected the two dwarves.
I still don't know how lethal the muck is.
It doesn't look to have any immediate effects.

I'm gonna have to start recording this shit.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Buckley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9046 on: December 22, 2014, 03:09:35 pm »

I noticed - while mining in the depths - that my outdoor refuse pile was emitting a nice big miasma cloud b/c half of it was underneath a ledge the z-level above.  The troll I'd killed earlier and dumped into the refuse pile was rotting away.

So I queued the 2x5 tile ledge on the z level above for channeling - without much thought, heck, it's only a 2x5 section what's the worst that could happen.... (foreshadowing, of course...)

About an hour later - I'd already had a pretty massive mining order in the depths queue'd up and pretty much forgotten about the ledge - a werepanther attacked and immediately killed a grazing yak, a wood collecting laborer, and my woodcutter.  I'd not yet developed any kind of militia and the only two weapons I had left were the two picks of my miners... so I quickly organized them into a militia and sent them after the beast ...  which much to my surprise they dispatched without much trouble.

Just after the fight my bold miner fighter dwarves piled the bodies of my fallen into the same aforementioned outdoor refuse pile.  (Great, I thought, I'll have to just reclaim them in a bit after I build some coffins and dig some graves.)

After dumping the bodies and severed parts my miners then decide to mine the ledge.

"A cave-in has occured!!"  Both miners apparently were on top of the 2x5 ledge and managed to channel out all around them, which triggered a 1 z-level fall.  Upon landing the body parts of their fallen compadres proceeded to scatter - knocking one of the miners unconscious and break his leg while breaking the hand of the other miner.

Not having a hospital built yet,  I ended up with one dead miner (from infections that set into his wounds) and one miner with a permanently maimed hand.  *facepalm*
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:11:39 pm by Buckley »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9047 on: December 25, 2014, 01:01:23 pm »

deleted, sorry, wrong post
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 01:19:16 pm by xaritscin »

VoxieG

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember me, friends?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9048 on: December 26, 2014, 02:08:19 am »

I embarked on a frozen coastline, and I spent three years digging out a pretty decent fortress in the ice. I retired the fortress, with the intention of returning with an adventurer to explore it. When I arrive, the entrance is frozen shut, so I retire the adventurer. I un-retire the fortress, fearing the worst, and my fears are realized when I see the entire fortress filled in with solid ice. To add insult to injury, I can still see the where the fortress was, as the smooth ice walls are intact.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9049 on: December 26, 2014, 10:20:36 am »

Note to self, when using DFHack's fastdwarf command to make sure my minecart related ideas are at least partially feasible for a future fort, do not forget to delete/disable the test route after having a dwarf splatter themselves against a wall after riding a cart on said route.

Three more Dwarves decided to ride the cart before I realized what was happening 5 seconds later...

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9050 on: December 27, 2014, 01:57:01 pm »

I just started doing minecarts this week, after over two years of DF. First minecart track was simple: starts to the east of a stockpile, moves one tile east, then five or six north, where a track stop dumps the contents to the west to a one tile stockpile, next to the stairs up to my workshops (gem piles and gem workshops, for the curious). Stops are designated properly, after careful consultation with the wiki. Dwarves guide carts to and fro. It's a straight line from the stairs to the first stop, and about two extra tiles to walk down the mine track, which I have manually designated as "restricted."

[facepalm] Dwarves still repeatedly walk down the tracks to drop off items in the cart. [/facepalm]

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9051 on: December 27, 2014, 06:55:17 pm »

Ozarck, when a dorf paths up to a narrow tunnel full of other dorfs (or just one, sometimes), one will check for a short-ish alternate path to avoid walking over the other. I suspect the alternate paths may not pay quite so much attention to restricted zones. Make your preferred path (stairs and all) 3+ wide and the dorfs are much more likely to find an alternate path within the same corridor. Especially if you direct the regular pathfinding down the middle with a high priority strip, or set up proper 2-way corridors where they keep out of each other's way.

Not that there's any guarantees. If a dorf can possibly get somewhere, eventually one of them will get there. Or maybe all of them.

[facepalm] Without any gathering areas at all, your dorfs will random-walk the map, leaping over chasms, climbing sheer cliffs, and then when they get thirsty, they have to use the regular pathfinder to get back, which can't do any of that. Fortunately you get a bunch of error messages about being unable to path to take water to a thirsty dorf. Just don't ignore all that red like I did.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9052 on: December 28, 2014, 07:20:52 am »

First year in. Outpost Liason and Caravan arrive in the midest of a Capybara horde.
The Axedwarfs instantly go on in slaughetring most of them and somehow one of the Merchants manages to freak out and leaves all his goods laying about. Result? The Caravan leaves without ever haveing reached my Depot in the first place.

Capybaras...?

Honestly?

I hope you weaklings fall off a cliff or something before you get back home...

Tigerle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9053 on: December 29, 2014, 12:01:48 am »

I have three traps in my small and young fortress. Two of them has captured each a kobold. Because i'm low of cages i want to put both kobolds in one cage. (I have no trees in this map, so i have to be very economical). This time is the first time i try it with kobolds. So i sit before my screen and watch, if it works and the kobold doesn't fight again. And it seems to work. A dwarf is leading him to his new cage.
The way goes past my entrance hall with 10 war dogs. These do their job and attacks this poor kobold. Now the dwarf runs away in terror and the kobold begin to defense himself against my dogs.
It results in 4 dead war dogs. Luckily the kobold found the last trap while he runs away.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:03:19 am by Tigerle »

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9054 on: December 29, 2014, 05:23:14 am »

A Kobold killed 4 dogs?

You have removed his weapons from him before you moved him havent you?

AbanShakehandles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • microscopes are fun
« Reply #9055 on: December 29, 2014, 12:50:26 pm »

I thought I was being so clever with my embark points.

I don't need an axe,
I'll just make a wooden training axe out of the logs I'll obtain with my.... dammit.
It's like we're looking
down on Wayne's basement, only
that's not Wayne's basement.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9056 on: December 29, 2014, 01:07:16 pm »

I thought I was being so clever with my embark points.

I don't need an axe,
I'll just make a wooden training axe out of the logs I'll obtain with my.... dammit.
Don't forget you can break down your wagon for 3 logs...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9057 on: December 30, 2014, 06:13:05 pm »

Oh Armok, not this. NOT A KING. NOW HE WANTS A FANCIER BEDROOM THAN WE CAN PROVIDE.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9058 on: December 31, 2014, 06:50:17 am »

In order to create this useless piece of crap, he wanted rocks (legit), leather stack (I had to build a butchery and a tannery, and hope that some UristMcTanner would decide to stop fishing), bones (set up a stockpile only for him) and a log.

At least the Wokshop is in a safe position: it is in a room with two non-pet-allowing doors and two cage trap
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

emodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9059 on: December 31, 2014, 10:44:34 am »

I generated a new, custom world where there are more volcanoes, which worked fine.  I embarked on a a promising location, and, as soon as I unpaused the game, I got a notification of a cavern collapse, which occurred in the volcano.  No problem - I hit the spacebar to resume.  It then immediately happened again - same area of the map.  Then again, and again, and again.  While paused, I took a good look at the volcano.  Apparently, the volcano intersects with one or more caverns, which have a bottom level filled with water, which is pouring down the volcano shaft, and hitting the magma pools below.  Since this volcano is near the map's edge, the caverns and magma pools involved effectively have an infinite supply of water and magma, so the "collapses" seemed to never end.  After about x120 spammed announcements, it was done informing me of the situation, as obsidian had formed over the most active areas, but the never-ending pouring continues as newly-formed obsidian melts into the molten rock below. 

Now, I'm wondering if I need to abandon not only this embark, but the newly-generated world all together!   :-\
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 729