Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130067 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6915 on: August 22, 2012, 02:18:08 am »

Set up a danger room for the first time, watched my military go in with all their war dogs, I didn't realize my mistake... And then.. "Dog McWardog, War Dog has been impaled on spikes." Oh dear... I stopped the room and let my military come out, slowly followed by a few surviving, limping, dogs...

I would give them time to recover, then send them back in, and keep on until none of those dogs are left.  War animals are nice as disposable heroes, but it's not so nice when an Axe Lord throws a tantrum or goes berserk because he just lost five beloved pets in two seconds.

War animals are better assigned to strategically placed restraints or pastures than to dwarves, IMO.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

blah_1123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: August 22, 2012, 08:34:14 am »

One of my siege operators just managed to fire their baby as well as the ballista arrow out of the ballista.... Could someone explain how exactly this happened? :S
I reccomend letting him go nuts, though.  If he goes berserk, free target practice for your military!  If he doesn't, raving naked bedridden dwarf!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: August 22, 2012, 08:36:43 am »

One of my siege operators just managed to fire their baby as well as the ballista arrow out of the ballista.... Could someone explain how exactly this happened? :S
Yes, please do.  This needs to happen reliably.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

blah_1123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: August 22, 2012, 09:05:15 am »

I've just noticed, The babies corpse managed to get lodged in the fortification, no one can get to it to bury it and theres miasma spreading now, thankfully it's where no one would go.
I reccomend letting him go nuts, though.  If he goes berserk, free target practice for your military!  If he doesn't, raving naked bedridden dwarf!

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #6919 on: August 22, 2012, 11:11:53 am »

face palm on behalf of the dwarves.
goblin siege, one squad (hammer goblins) with the leader riding a blind cave bear called 'dang'

I forbid EVERYTHING outside the fort, to prevent dwarves running out to claim clothes, bodies etc. and lower the bridge into my heavily trapped fortress.

'RUN OUTSIDE TO PICK UP THE FORBIDDEN ITEMS!'
*facedesk*
lost about 30 dwarves overall, goblins were routed, and I have a heavily injured goblin in a cage.

Uhh, are you sure you didn't accidentally set everything to dump instead of forbid?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6920 on: August 23, 2012, 03:01:14 pm »

No, no mods.  Guinea pigs aren't on the wiki . . . exactly.  But they do redirect you to Cavy, where it says,
Cavies, more commonly known as guinea pigs, . . .
But the words 'guinea pig' don't appear in the raws. What kind of creature does your dwarf absolutely detest?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6921 on: August 23, 2012, 03:16:00 pm »

so, apparently, holding shift and using er or cv in the stockpile [q] menu will automatically go to 0 or max barrels or bins, all this time Ive been doing things the hard way (and just assumed both lower and ipper case did the same thing)

*face palm*
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6922 on: August 23, 2012, 04:02:01 pm »

That is the dwarfiest thing I have heard in a while.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6923 on: August 23, 2012, 07:20:04 pm »

That is the dwarfiest thing I have heard in a while.

Presumably the baby decided to go all Doctor Baby Strangelove on the ballista before plummeting to its doom.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6924 on: August 23, 2012, 09:14:35 pm »

I just caught a cave dragon (and 2 rutherers. A male and a female.) in my cavern traps.
Naturally I rejoiced and opened the gates to the trap corridor. After seeing the haulers starting to carry them I started doing other stuff and soon pulled the lever to seal the passage again. (Hoping to catch another cave dragon since they appeared in a group of two.)

Some time later I was planning on building the cages but noticed that they were not available. I presumed that they were still being hauled so I waited. A bit later I started wondering what was going on and checked the animals in the fort. No caged cave dragons and only the male rutherer. Then I checked Dwarf TheRapist and noticed that I had two less dwarves than I should. They seemed to disappear without a trace so I crafted their slabs to see what killed them. Yep, 2 x Urist McHauler crushed by a drawbridge.  :'( I crushed my cave dragon and the female of my rutherer breeding pair.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6925 on: August 24, 2012, 11:21:01 am »

"Boss, listen, we arent complaining or anything, but these archery targets in the corner you set up 5 years ago, well... shouldnt we marksdwarves be shooting those, instead of you know, developing remarkable skills in crossbow-to-face-smashing?"
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

MrCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Because I can
    • View Profile
« Reply #6926 on: August 24, 2012, 01:31:57 pm »

On the bright side, you now have the finest crossbow wieding face smashers around! My own facepalm came when a werewolf (Genesis, nt were-wolf) encountered a weapons trap, then leaped 5 squares through the air onto a tree just so he could scare the bejesusout of the dwarfs who were tryig to grb bodies and clean traps. And it took around 15 realtime minutes to shoot hm off the thing. And then we were sieged by demons.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6927 on: August 24, 2012, 09:08:05 pm »

In relation to the most recent STNPO game (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=111289.510)

So coming in, I've got an evil biome, about two hundred zombies, a horde of goblins, and six dwarves, one of whom is immediately killed by a ghost, one of whom is injured and incapable of movement, one of whom is sad, and one of whom is sad and also locked in a 'conduct meeting' job. I turn off all hauling labors except food, refuse and burial, and set about building a secure bunker. It's about ten minutes for me to realize that the reason no one's digging is neither the lack of picks nor an excess of other jobs, but instead a military alert restricting them to a burrow. Ten minutes after that I finally figure out why no one's building the furniture I need in it.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: August 25, 2012, 12:01:49 am »

Playing a modded Human Town, and in status, I see "Axemans, Swordsmans, Macemans, Spearmans and Crossbowmans".

TOO MANY MANS

Maybe this should get fixed, although I'm unsure how.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6929 on: August 25, 2012, 12:05:02 am »

Custom profession names to fix the plurals. I feel like I've started a trend because I've noticed a rise in people playing DF humans in the last month or two.
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 729