Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Paralyzed Dwarf + Strange Mood == ?  (Read 4287 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Paralyzed Dwarf + Strange Mood == ?
« on: February 21, 2011, 01:33:23 am »

The jeweler who hurt his foot during the first season of my fort and who has been sitting since then in my hospital just got a strange mood.  He's... not likely to walk any time soon, even though he isn't injured very badly, except for the nerve damage.

Any suggestions?  Magma was my first thought, but I don't really want to burn up my nice hospital....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paralyzed Dwarf + Strange Mood == ?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 01:43:11 am »

just let him go crazy, if he goes berzerk he can't really hurt anyone if he can't move.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 01:44:48 am »

I remember in old versions wounded mooders would drag themselves out of bed and to the workshop. Does that still happen?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:45:56 am »

Does he crawl out of bed at all?  If you want to really micromanage, you could try buildin ga jeweler's shop in your hospital, and then producing tiny stockpiles with every item he asks for.

I reccomend letting him go nuts, though.  If he goes berserk, free target practice for your military!  If he doesn't, raving naked bedridden dwarf!
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:46:06 am »

You should man up and just wait to see what happens. Will he crawl his way to victory and a new artifact? Will he go crazy and wreck up the place? Will he just get plain depressed and cry in his bed?

Speaking seriously, I'd either wait till he goes mad and dies, (does he have a lot of friends?) or maybe try deconstructing the beds in the hospital. You know, see if that will force him to get moving. Not sure if that works in this version.

Hopefully someone else out there has better advice.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 01:51:10 am »

I remember in old versions wounded mooders would drag themselves out of bed and to the workshop. Does that still happen?

You're right.  He actually got out of bed and started crawling towards the jeweler's workshops.

I wonder if there's any way to make him grab a crutch while he's mobile?  Hmm....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 01:56:01 am »

Maybe you'll get lucky and he'll make a Gem Crutch.  About a third of my artifacts are crutches.

(I doubt crutches can even be artifacted out of gems.)
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 01:59:52 am »

Maybe you'll get lucky and he'll make a Gem Crutch.  About a third of my artifacts are crutches.

I'm tempted to savescum just for that remote possibility (I really doubt it's possible, though).

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 06:06:11 am »

I'm tempted to savescum just for that remote possibility (I really doubt it's possible, though).

Used to be that jewelers were liable to make gem furniture, but the last couple of gem-related moods I've seen have been perfect gems.

And even if he were to make a gem crutch, ask yourself this: do you really think he'd use it?

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 06:52:48 am »

Why wouldn't he use it? He'd be the first Dwarf pimp around!
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 07:26:29 am »

I never pictured a gem crutch as a pimp cane, but that is some good thinking, mate.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 02:00:06 pm »

I never pictured a gem crutch as a pimp cane, but that is some good thinking, mate.

If it's not in SLADE, it should be.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 03:28:30 am »

If it's not in SLADE, it should be.

The game crashed on me and the last save was from before his mood.  So we'll probably never see that now :(