Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130031 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5280 on: November 01, 2011, 04:47:41 pm »

I had once modded into the game some races to make things more difficult: One I called Dark Seethers, and they were basically anthropomorphic spiders with trapavoid, and would start appearing after goblins, forcing one to have a descent military to deal with them.  They shot sticky web.

For the longest time, I couldn't figure out why they managed to take out entire fortresses: they would meet the dwarves in my danger zone, and somehow slaughter not only all my military dwarves, but my non-military dwarves would die in droves, every time, even being little more than glorified kobolds.

Then, one day, I found out why, as a dwarf was killed by falling rocks while I watched.  As standard, I had my danger zone as a thick line of traps.  My dwarves would run out to attack them, and would get webbed.  The trick is that, at the time at least, webbing was coded to be the equivalent of temporary unconsciousness.  And in the code (at the time at least), any animal that goes unconscious on a trap automatically triggers the trap.  So every dwarf was getting slaughtered because they would hit webs on traps as they ran out to collect the Seetherite (like Goblinite, but from Dark Seethers), and be hit by 10 glass or metal trap components, obsidian swords, crossbows, or previously harvested goblin weapons.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 04:51:10 pm by Pickerel »

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: November 01, 2011, 09:13:58 pm »

I had once modded into the game some races to make things more difficult: One I called Dark Seethers, and they were basically anthropomorphic spiders with trapavoid, and would start appearing after goblins, forcing one to have a descent military to deal with them.  They shot sticky web.

For the longest time, I couldn't figure out why they managed to take out entire fortresses: they would meet the dwarves in my danger zone, and somehow slaughter not only all my military dwarves, but my non-military dwarves would die in droves, every time, even being little more than glorified kobolds.

Then, one day, I found out why, as a dwarf was killed by falling rocks while I watched.  As standard, I had my danger zone as a thick line of traps.  My dwarves would run out to attack them, and would get webbed.  The trick is that, at the time at least, webbing was coded to be the equivalent of temporary unconsciousness.  And in the code (at the time at least), any animal that goes unconscious on a trap automatically triggers the trap.  So every dwarf was getting slaughtered because they would hit webs on traps as they ran out to collect the Seetherite (like Goblinite, but from Dark Seethers), and be hit by 10 glass or metal trap components, obsidian swords, crossbows, or previously harvested goblin weapons.
Now THAT classifies as a epic facepalm.
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: November 02, 2011, 12:22:46 pm »

This is my facepalm-turned-dwarfy moment.

Embarked on a perfectly flat area, channeled out a 32x32 perimeter and connected a few murky pools to it, which effectively give me a self refilling moat. Check.

Then I built the foundation and guardhouses around the whole thing, floored it in and built fortifications on the second level. Military patrol routes, check.

Next up, build the large reservoirs around the perimiter, to be filled with magma and released at will, with a little bonus obsidian farming in the moat.

Change of plans: Build a giant magma reservoir supported by the schist foundation, and pull The Lever at some point in the future. When the last supporting schist wall melts, the reservoir will deconstruct, and the giant magma reservoir will suddently become a giant blob of magma, unsupported by anything except the ground beneath it. It's a one-shot siege ender that will consume the entire resources of the fort, but so be it. One must plan dwarfily when overseeing dwarves.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: November 02, 2011, 01:04:22 pm »

Are you building all that out of bridges? Constructions are invulnerable to anything but a cave-in or a dwarf with a deconstruction order.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: November 02, 2011, 02:38:10 pm »

Embarked on a perfectly flat area, channeled out a 32x32 perimeter and connected a few murky pools to it, which effectively give me a self refilling moat. Check.

Then I built the foundation and guardhouses around the whole thing, floored it in and built fortifications on the second level. Military patrol routes, check.

Next up, build the large reservoirs around the perimiter, to be filled with magma and released at will, with a little bonus obsidian farming in the moat.

Change of plans: Build a giant magma reservoir supported by the schist foundation, and pull The Lever at some point in the future. When the last supporting schist wall melts, the reservoir will deconstruct, and the giant magma reservoir will suddently become a giant blob of magma, unsupported by anything except the ground beneath it. It's a one-shot siege ender that will consume the entire resources of the fort, but so be it. One must plan dwarfily when overseeing dwarves.

Only wood actually burns, i think.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: November 02, 2011, 02:45:23 pm »

(C)onstructed things are everythingproof (constructed ice wall will hold magma etc). (Except a cave-in or a dwarf with a deconstruction order).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: November 02, 2011, 06:57:44 pm »

Realizing none of my dwarves had wood burning on AFTER abandoning due to thinking:
"Glitch? FUUUUUUUUU"

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: November 03, 2011, 02:05:48 am »

(C)onstructed things are everythingproof (constructed ice wall will hold magma etc). (Except a cave-in or a dwarf with a deconstruction order).
Most non-(C)onstructed materials won't actually "burn" but they will be destroyed by magma.
The list of magma immune items is fairly short, unfortunately. Your best bet will probably be using the stone type you find surrounding the magma to use in moving the magma around. As for containing it, as Kogut said, as long as it's (C)onstructed (specifically, not a building) then it's impossible for anything short of cave-ins or determined dwarfs with deconstructive designs to take it down.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: November 03, 2011, 09:34:31 am »

Well double damn.

aexsar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: November 03, 2011, 09:57:35 pm »

discovering the d->b menu.

oh god, the finger-destroying ages spent with the k tool manually dumping individual stones

Oh man same here for me.

I remember digging out a large room, and then sighing as I would press 'k' then I'd press right, D, right, D, right, D etc etc until i marked like 200 stones for dumping.

Then someone showed me mass dumping...  I love that man.

You can not imagine the utter horror as I was reading this thread and realized that this was possible. I've been playing for a few months now and have probably dumped thousands of stone tile by tile. On the flip side, I am happy knowing I can do this from now on.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: November 04, 2011, 10:34:25 am »

You can not imagine the utter horror as I was reading this thread and realized that this was possible. I've been playing for a few months now and have probably dumped thousands of stone tile by tile. On the flip side, I am happy knowing I can do this from now on.

This.  Oh so This. :o
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #5291 on: November 05, 2011, 04:00:49 pm »

Allowing my fort to be killed by Elk birds.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: November 05, 2011, 09:34:54 pm »

making this post
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:08:44 am by Kearn »
i like goats

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: November 06, 2011, 01:29:21 am »

Trying to generate a world with a 150 volcano minimum... 61 rejected so far and I think DF has no intention of stopping.

Kallin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: November 06, 2011, 07:53:48 pm »

I have just learned that my fortress, Boltedhall, on the banks of the brook Sheenbottled (I shall tame tigers and train them in winning), is actually in Canada.

I have a whole lot of cobatite in my well. From Wikipedia: In 1966, the addition of cobalt compounds to stabilize beer foam in Canada led to cardiomyopathy, which came to be known as beer drinker's cardiomyopathy.[77]

Edit: Fucking training weapons.
Goden Semorīngiz, militia commander has grown attached to a palm training axe!
She did this while asleep. What the hell are you doing with it in bed?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:58:06 pm by Kallin »
I'm on and off. I usually pop up for a few months then head out for a few.

You've got tentacle teeth or ribbon goblins.  Pick your poison.
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 729