Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142492 times)

erissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5295 on: November 06, 2011, 11:15:01 pm »

Edit: Fucking training weapons.
Goden Semorīngiz, militia commander has grown attached to a palm training axe!
She did this while asleep. What the hell are you doing with it in bed?

Dreaming about slaughtering goblins, of course.

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: November 07, 2011, 09:59:34 pm »

Artifact Adamantine Goblet.

Its worse when it happens to you...
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
I heard that I died.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
It was inevitable.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
Goodbye.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
Goodbye.

Diicc Tater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: November 08, 2011, 09:53:01 am »

1st time I wanted to irrigate a farmplot, tapping in to the stream, using no floodgates.
1st time I made a well, tapping in to the river, using no floodgates.
1st time I placed floodgates, locking a dwarf inside the waterway.
1st time I tried to build a 2z high wall, trapping a mason and not noticing until he was dehydrated.
1st time I killed a dwarven merchant that went berserk...  (just last week).

those are just some of the times I've facepalmed at myself... there are just so many. :)

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: November 08, 2011, 11:32:36 am »

An ambush arrives with the dwarf caravan, in the 2nd fall. A fight off the goblins, no one dies but a few pets and 2 haulers. I do my trading, and the merchants leave.

RIGHT after the merchants leave, a dwarf gets a mood and claims a clothiers workshop. I have everything he wants, (wood, metal bars, cloth) yet he won't take the materials.

Looking at the wiki, I realize I don't have yarn cloth, just silk and plant fiber cloth. Sketching pictures of cloth can mean any type of cloth. The caravan carrying yarn cloth JUST left, and the only sheep, a pet, died in the ambush.

The dwarf is going to go insane and die because he refuses to use my more valuable cloth, such as giant cave spider silk, he has to have YARN. Which I CAN'T GET for half a year, when the next caravan comes.

*Facepalm*

Here's hoping i'll get a migrant wave like right now with a sheep in it.
Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

Kallin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: November 08, 2011, 09:23:34 pm »

I just had a goblin snatch a child. Checking the thoughts of the parents, I notice that they don't even notice their child is missing.

More interestingly, I notice I can still view the child if I go through the relations page on one of the family members.

I saw the child's thoughts and facepalmed.

I'm on and off. I usually pop up for a few months then head out for a few.

You've got tentacle teeth or ribbon goblins.  Pick your poison.

Stockdoodle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: November 08, 2011, 10:17:17 pm »

Forgot to change my designation back to Dig from up/down stairway, then went off to work on something else while my miners got to work. Destroyed a nice layer of silt a few Z levels down from my entrance.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: November 09, 2011, 01:39:50 am »

I just had a goblin snatch a child. Checking the thoughts of the parents, I notice that they don't even notice their child is missing.

More interestingly, I notice I can still view the child if I go through the relations page on one of the family members.

...what were you doing to your dorfs!?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: November 09, 2011, 02:48:26 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4953
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5303 on: November 09, 2011, 02:53:36 am »

...what were you doing to your dorfs!?

Well, if it was not so much different from what other players are doing ... HE IS A MONSTER!

Let's all be glad that Sakzul was finally saved and that he will live happy, full life.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: November 09, 2011, 03:16:04 am »

Artifacts in my fortress. I know - I am using FD mod, this embark is reused for third time and two previous attempts ended in slaughter of my population. But 2 coffins, "The diversion of execution, a gneiss mechanism" and "The smile of gallows, dog leather vest" as first 4 artifacts?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: November 09, 2011, 05:43:22 pm »

I just realized there was a gameplay forum intended specifically for the simple questions I so often ask on this forum.  <facepalm>
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: November 10, 2011, 12:11:18 pm »

Started digging around a safe part of an aquifer. For some reason, I end up breaching it, despite the "damp rock" auto-cancels, and end up flooding that level (the miner got away easily though). I notice the aquifer is endlessly draining into a lower aquifer layer staircase I dug before that, so I decide to dig around to that staircase and plug it up so I don't lose on FPS due to the endless water flow.

The dwarf promptly walls himself in on the side that's about to be flooded by the aquifer because I neglected using the "suspended building designation" trick, thinking he couldn't build on the wrong side due to the water flow. GUESS NOT.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What followed was a race to get rid of the wall before the idiot drowns. He'd have drowned if it weren't for the lucky 6/7 depth water tiles constantly giving him breath.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:15:08 pm by Zarhon »
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

scienceIswear

• Escaped Lunatic
  • She absolutely despises reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: November 10, 2011, 07:55:40 pm »

First time facing skeletal creatures: "Hey, skeletons! Well, I've dealt with zombies before, so this shouldn't be too hard... *one month later* Crap."
My most brutal attack by a titan was a buffalo twisted in human form with three eyes, long flowing pink hair, and emanating an aura of giving and kindness.

Now I'm not sure how kindness would translate in that monster's tongue, but he sure gave a lot of beatings.

Grytorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: November 11, 2011, 12:32:31 am »

Discovering cave in alerts the same time I decided to pointlessly in my first multiyear fortress dig a tunnel from my river to the magma sea.

Trodglen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: November 11, 2011, 02:41:02 pm »

Not understanding how hatches work on up/down stairs.
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 729