Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129930 times)

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3330 on: December 15, 2010, 02:27:25 am »

Modded in a new race today. Happily watched the development of a fort in a rather inhospitable clime. Facepalmed hard when I remembered that this new race didn't have the [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] tag. Remembered this because my dragonfire-breathing war drakeling roasted a bunch of my dorfalikes when a goblin snatcher showed up. Abandoned the fort because the fire blast also caught a quantum stockpile full of what became !!bituminous coal!! and !!lignite!!, causing my FPS to drop to unplayable levels.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #3331 on: December 15, 2010, 07:19:46 am »

Possible that he died at the start of the embark by standing on a frozen lake as it thawed?

no, no frozen lake (i am in a scorching climate, near a volcano). and she was a dwarf of the first migrant wave.

and no, she wasn't swimming in lava. maybe one of the warthog wandering near the fortress...?

Edit: looking at the status screen i saw "Her upper body is gone". I also noticed some elephant wandering around... solved the mystery!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:30:43 am by Iados »

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: December 15, 2010, 09:45:20 am »

Possible that he died at the start of the embark by standing on a frozen lake as it thawed?

no, no frozen lake (i am in a scorching climate, near a volcano). and she was a dwarf of the first migrant wave.

and no, she wasn't swimming in lava. maybe one of the warthog wandering near the fortress...?

Edit: looking at the status screen i saw "Her upper body is gone". I also noticed some elephant wandering around... solved the mystery!
Well, all dead things are described as having their "upper body gone" whether or not they suffered related injuries...

edited out a bad case of Department of Redundancy Department
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 10:57:43 am by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #3333 on: December 15, 2010, 10:49:12 am »

Well, all dead things are described as having their "upper body gone" whether or not they suffered related injuries or not...

ah...

FACEPALM

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: December 15, 2010, 02:45:20 pm »

Guess wath a dwarf of mine a metalsmith got posseded , and guess what... he made a
ZINC DOOR?! with some decoration , atleast it was the only artifact in the hole world  :P
Desu

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: December 15, 2010, 03:17:36 pm »

if you have very important nobles, build it in their room.

actually, now that I think about it just build it as the door to the dining room and re-"designate" the room (bad term, can't think rite now)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Krall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: December 15, 2010, 07:06:04 pm »

Guess wath a dwarf of mine a metalsmith got posseded , and guess what... he made a
ZINC DOOR?! with some decoration , atleast it was the only artifact in the hole world  :P

Something similar happened to me once, only it was an iron door. The door actually had an image of itself on it, which logically would mean that image of the door would have an image of the image on the door on it, which would have an image of the image of the image on the door, and so on and so forth ad infinitum.

I think I put it in as the main door to my dining room, that way lots of my dwarves would see it on a regular basis and get happy thoughts (and not subsequently murder one another).

Captain Insano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: December 15, 2010, 09:07:26 pm »

I had FIVE bucket artifacts in a row. On the same fort. All of them made of STONE. WHAT.
"Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM*

Harbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: December 15, 2010, 11:00:34 pm »

Something similar happened to me once, only it was an iron door. The door actually had an image of itself on it, which logically would mean that image of the door would have an image of the image on the door on it, which would have an image of the image of the image on the door, and so on and so forth ad infinitum.

I think I put it in as the main door to my dining room, that way lots of my dwarves would see it on a regular basis and get happy thoughts (and not subsequently murder one another).

recursive.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: December 16, 2010, 12:40:18 am »

how the hell he died, it's a mystery.
You can alter the announcements so that deaths are announced and recentred in the same way as artifact creation.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: December 16, 2010, 03:23:36 am »

how the hell he died, it's a mystery.
You can alter the announcements so that deaths are announced and recentred in the same way as artifact creation.

HOW????

also: facepalm moment for me, a FB had somehow gotten up onto the hole I breached in the third cavern layer with my staircasing. it couldn't path to any of my dorfs, not even with its wings, but it COULD hang out and scare EVERY SINGLE ONE who was supposed to be retrieving metal for strand extraction.

So I stationed my military in the room and had a miner dig out the intervening wall in hopes that it would come to us. No such luck. the military charges out to fight on the dire precipice, and while they slay the dread snail fell-beast without trouble, my third best legendary axedorf. the latest one to recieve a title, and the unique job title of "choppa" dodged off the cliff into a 40 zlvl drop of the caverns. He amazingly survived the fall with only 3 broken limbs and damaged internal organs. He drowned shortly thereafter.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: December 16, 2010, 05:08:32 am »

Today, when traders were in my fort, I get the message "SNATCHER! PROTECT THE CHILDREN!" .. but the camera zoomed out into the desert. I thought "oh fuck, some child wandered off and now he's a goner!" so i check the inventory of the snatcher but ... no child.

Confused, I unpause. immediately it re-pauses with "THIEF! protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"

:D ... a goblin had run into a kobold thief on the outskirt of the map and they decided to blow eachothers cover by shouting warnings to my dwarves
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: December 16, 2010, 06:30:47 am »

I get that with goblin squads containing a snatched dwarf. Fun ensues every time, at least for them. It's a real pain, since they still rise as ghosts and ghosts kill my FPS and I have 14 dwarves inside and several dozen assorted corpses outside and I am not opening the drawbridge without switching invaders off.

To change announcements, go to data / init / announcements.txt and make the following change:

[CITIZEN_DEATH:A_D:D_D] (or whatever it was originally)
to
[CITIZEN_DEATH:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]

This adds a pause and recentre, and a popup box.

Some other ones you might find useful:

[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[DIG_CANCEL_DAMP:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[CARAVAN_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:P:R]

to

[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D]
[DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D]
[DIG_CANCEL_DAMP:A_D:D_D]
[CARAVAN_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:P]

which removes the pause-and-recentre behaviour for caveins, warm or damp stone, and caravan arrival. Caravans will still pause the game, but they won't change the focus.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: December 16, 2010, 07:01:21 am »

Beware, though! Unless there's a way to do it other than the way I did it, the pause-and-center thing also applies to animals that you butcher. Every couple of seasons, when the kittens and puppies come, I have a frustrating little pause-center storm that nearabouts drives me up the wall. It's worth it, though.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: December 16, 2010, 09:52:17 am »

This may call for science.  I have noticed that deep water actually appears to significantly reduce falling damage now.  Despite the long held belief that it does nothing.

I first noticed it when I filled my dodging trap up with water to try to up the lethality.  Before it was filled with water goblins would reliably shatter bones from the 2 z-level fall.  After I filled it with water, it never inflicted falling damage again.  Seeming to behave like a 1 z-level fall. Still drown them nicely though.  Was the water your guy fell into more than 1 z-level deep?  I think that may have something to do with it. 

Where the heck is the dwarven mythbusters thread when I need it...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 729