Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142410 times)

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3300 on: December 11, 2010, 07:13:55 pm »

I forgot to take into account the fact that water physics are very hateful. Tried building a well from a brook in my dining room, and, thinking that the water would simply stop at the end of the channel which had a hole leading up to the dining room where I wanted the well, didn't bother placing a floodgate.

I also happened to have my entire food and booze supply on that level. It all got washed into a corner, then the water moved along and began flooding the lower levels. (This is an early fortress, it seems I was trying to take on a luxury too early [Before I had doors sealing separate levels])

A dwarven child that came in with a few immigrants was in his room when the water began flooding the living quarters, which stupidly enough I had placed on the bottom level of my complex. Fortunately, I was able to forbid the door before the water flooded in, and though I had no plan for how to free him I supposed dying of hunger was less torturous a death than drowning.

At this point, I had started making a burrow on the highest level of my fortress, so that I could seal off the lower levels, to avoid having the dwarves drown. With a stroke of inspiration, I formulated a plan: Dig a stairway down below the living quarters, create an enormous basin, then open it up to the fortress to drain it for long enough a time to seal up the well. Out of sheer boredom (or want of fun) however, I built the stairway before the dwarves really finished the room.

At this point, several odd things happened. One, the miner who built the stairway was pulled up from where he built the stairway, putting him in the flooded living quarters. I had lost faith in the fortress at this point, and I decided to open up the door of that poor dwarf child who was trapped.

After that, I went off to go look around at how much water had drained from the upper levels. Unfortunately, the room I created was only large enough to drain one and a half levels (the second level being lowered to 5/7 throughout). At this point, the stupid miner had, for some reason, been unable to swim back down the stairway, despite the fact that he could swim directly over it. He subsequently drowned. Yet oddly, I noticed no dwarf child's corpse. Turns out he somehow managed to get down that stairway, and when I looked him up he was on the top of the plateau my fortress was in, going to drink from the same brook that had just imprisoned him.

All the housing rooms, except that dwarf child's, were intact and water-tight. I take this as a lesson in the importance of z-level isolation, and the power of rivers.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: December 11, 2010, 10:07:56 pm »

*Has no goblins but has 87 dwarves, is on year 3 autumn, and has a military + awesome defense* *Forgets what the civ screen on embark said or whether he checked it at all* *Facepalms*
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: December 12, 2010, 04:06:49 am »

so, I embarked on a volcano on a small island with aquifers... oops, need water for underground farming!

So I dug down intending to hit the aquifer and use some pumps to desalinate it and water my underground fields; I designate a column of stairs, go down... and I hit the cavern layer at it's highest point, but directly over water... which was quite a ways below my stairs...

The well shaft is 70 Z-levels deep.  It seems to take my dorfs 10 steps to lower the bucket 1 Z-level

Thus, it takes approximately 1400 steps for my dorfs to draw one bucket of water. which, according to the wiki, is about 1 and 1/6 days.

With multiple pond zones so another dorf can use the well while the first carries the water to my irrigation reservoir, it still takes several months to fill a 3x3x1 space with water.

--edit--

At this rate, I will be lucky to have two 5x5 underground farm plots running by the end of my third year... fortunately, I managed to get some plant gathering done and above ground farming started in the mean time.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 04:10:47 am by Reese »
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #3303 on: December 12, 2010, 11:15:07 am »

I dug a deep column of up/down stairs for finding magma, and finally found some at z-level -14...

but after 5 second or so:

Urist McRandomDwarf has starved to death

Forget to buy food from caravans, waiting for ice to melt for starting my farm, ALL animals dead... tons of Fun!

P.S.: Going to explore the fort in adventure :)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: December 12, 2010, 11:52:46 am »

well that's Fun. re-embark!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: December 12, 2010, 01:50:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Another facepalm moment was when actually i found out that you need stairs in order to move a dwarf up , thats how some of my miners died :>
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:16:41 pm by Qinetix »
Desu

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: December 12, 2010, 02:33:16 pm »

please spoiler the first part for curtosey
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: December 12, 2010, 03:26:45 pm »

please spoiler the first part for curtosey

done
Desu

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: December 12, 2010, 03:59:13 pm »

In 40d:

Building a chasming device.

I put up wall around the bridge I pile garbage on to keep any batmen from swarming in. But I didn't know that bridges do not provide support for walls. I drop a migrant clothier and a thresher that were supposed to be repurposed into masons. They died of falling into the chasm. Then I try to go all around using floors so my wall can be built to always be connected to the ground. I forget to suspend their construction. Two kids this time. Then I get the floors built and start tearing some out for the walls. The two on the ends go first and I chasm my Dungeon Master, Tax Collector and Hammerer.

All legitimately on accident.

Now it is done and I have yet to use it.

I love DF.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #3309 on: December 13, 2010, 08:49:13 am »

I was building a little entrance-blocking device... a simple raising bridge, with some water under it.
but as soon as i channeled the tile blocking the water i noticed a dwarf.

a dwarf in the pit.
SLEEPING
R.I.P Urist McAnimalTrainer

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: December 13, 2010, 06:19:27 pm »

I ran into some very strange dorf behavior today.  I was digging a giant pit from the ground down to an underground magma pool, to use as a trapped entrance. I wanted to dump the ores and gems I was digging out so that when I collapsed the suspended floors, they would be safe in some other part of the fort.  Well, they just wouldn't touch them.  Eventually I thought there must be some problem with the dump zone so I made a huge stone and gem stockpile, the dwarves would run to fill it then immediately take the stone and dump it.  It took me a good 5 or 10 minutes to realise that they weren't dumping anything Outside.... I'd forgotten to turn off the 'ignore outside refuse' option.  *facepalm*
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

EvilJawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: December 13, 2010, 09:04:02 pm »

"Reg Kemsorendok Woodcutter has been crushed by a drawbridge" *facepalm*

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: December 13, 2010, 09:16:27 pm »

"Reg Kemsorendok Woodcutter has been crushed by a drawbridge" *facepalm*

reminds me of the time that I tried to destroy an annoying, useless, unhappy dwarf with a drawbridge, only for my legendary weaponsmith to walk under as the bridge lowed. and said Urist McUnhappy to walk out of the path at the same moment. *facepalm*
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: December 13, 2010, 11:37:38 pm »

As a goblin ambush set in I ordered all workers inside for the military to be sent out. As it happened a fisherdwarf who was in my militia started running toward the gate, I, thinking everyone was inside, raised the drawbridge. The fisherdwarf (clad entirely in adamantine armor with axe and shield) kept on running, when I saw him I ordered it to be lowered. He ran up and started hammering on the bridge begging for it to be lowered. He ceased to exist. *Facepalm*

Skadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: December 14, 2010, 06:45:54 am »

Not a facepalm monet in fortress mode but in adventure mode. I ragekilled all inhabitants i a armorshop and randomly killied  all peasants in the neighbor house because i didn't get my bronze high boots i bought. Then looked on the wiki and found out that you have to pick them up yourself.
I also found out that you can crawl under pepole the is standing in your way instead of waiting for thme to move.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 729