Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130063 times)

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2820 on: October 15, 2010, 07:38:50 pm »

What does allowing a dwarfs skills to go rusty mean?

eventually, rusty skills will atrophy away.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: October 15, 2010, 07:40:20 pm »

Dwarves have to use their skills to maintain proficiency.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: October 15, 2010, 11:28:01 pm »

So I'm channeling out a path for the river to fill my indoor fishing pond. But when the dwarves start work, why are the tiles dots instead of upside down triangles?

Oh no, I've channeled the roof off of my downstairs rooms. *facepalm*

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: October 15, 2010, 11:42:08 pm »

I accidentally marked a bull and a cow for adoption instead of slaughtering and I didn't notice until after they were adopted.

Eh, at least I won't have to worry about food supplies now.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

jackrabbitslim

• Bay Watcher
  • Erin go Bragh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: October 16, 2010, 01:04:25 am »

One of my dwarves is in the hospital after a battle. her hands and legs are all smashed up. But you wanna know the worst part? Her LIVER is BROKEN!
I may be insane but I'm not crazy

Benata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: October 16, 2010, 01:04:16 pm »

I wont use the real name but-

Urist McSuperCreative crafted a badass pig iron hammer- "On the item is an image of Badass Hammer the pig iron war hammer in pig iron.

Urist McCarpender decides to go moody and make an artifact bed.. that depicts the very same artifact bed.. "Image of the blowing lock, the alder bed, in alder"

Next I'll be getting an axe with an axe engraved in it... ???
I was almost right...

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: October 16, 2010, 01:06:57 pm »

I wont use the real name but-

Urist McSuperCreative crafted a badass pig iron hammer- "On the item is an image of Badass Hammer the pig iron war hammer in pig iron.

Urist McCarpender decides to go moody and make an artifact bed.. that depicts the very same artifact bed.. "Image of the blowing lock, the alder bed, in alder"

Next I'll be getting an axe with an axe engraved in it... ???
I was almost right...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You're doing it wrong.
It should be:
YO DAWG, I HEARD YOU LIKE ARTIFACTS SO WE PUT A RECURSIVE IMAGE ON YOUR ARTIFACT SO YOU CAN SEE THE ARTIFACT WHILE YOU SEE THE ARTIFACT[. . .]
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: October 16, 2010, 04:47:32 pm »

One of my dwarves is in the hospital after a battle. her hands and legs are all smashed up. But you wanna know the worst part? Her LIVER is BROKEN!

:o Does that mean she can't drink now?
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

mr_seeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: October 16, 2010, 06:38:11 pm »

I have got a pretty descent area, but forgot one of my rules for Dwarf Fortress:

Rule 14: Caves are bad, even if the area is considered "Calm"

In my first year, I got around 14 troglodytes coming from a cave I just dug. Result: captured 4, injured & killed 10, 2 dead dogs, 2 enraged mules, 8 killed dwarves, and was left with 7 dwarves to start my fortress. This was after 6 months of playing!

EDIT: After 150 pages of fighting I decided to end it, took all whats left and did a big attack on the troglodyte: 2 suffocated, 5 dwarves left.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 06:52:55 pm by mr_seeker »

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: October 17, 2010, 11:27:43 am »

First goblin ambush. While the poor hunter that detected them is getting slaughtered, someone pulls the lever of my entrance gate bridge, the goblins are on the bridge when it raises... Oh, what happens ? I don't see the bridge. And the fleeing dwarves and their goblin pursuers cross it freely ! Is this a bug ?
It seems that my bridge is a retractable bridge...
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

mr_seeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: October 17, 2010, 03:36:34 pm »

First goblin ambush. While the poor hunter that detected them is getting slaughtered, someone pulls the lever of my entrance gate bridge, the goblins are on the bridge when it raises... Oh, what happens ? I don't see the bridge. And the fleeing dwarves and their goblin pursuers cross it freely ! Is this a bug ?
It seems that my bridge is a retractable bridge...

Urist McDwarf just invented the horizontal lift :P

sgrunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: October 17, 2010, 03:37:25 pm »

So, I built the entrance of my most recent fortress to be lined with a large number of weapons traps, all with a full set of ten serrated discs and a trap door (pressure plate + floor hatch) on either end (i.e. the classic goblin grinder setup). No goblins should be getting in or out through that, right?

Well, when an ambush turns up they all try to storm the fortress... and although they're all getting knocked out, none of them are actually dying.

Why, you ask?

Those discs are all made of green glass... which apparently can't even cut cloth.  *facepalm*

That having been said, it's still an extremely effective defence - it's just a slight amount of work for my military instead of no work.  (Also, a warthog that attempted to wander in died ludicrously quickly.)

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: October 17, 2010, 05:00:14 pm »

So, I built the entrance of my most recent fortress to be lined with a large number of weapons traps, all with a full set of ten serrated discs and a trap door (pressure plate + floor hatch) on either end (i.e. the classic goblin grinder setup). No goblins should be getting in or out through that, right?

Well, when an ambush turns up they all try to storm the fortress... and although they're all getting knocked out, none of them are actually dying.

Why, you ask?

Those discs are all made of green glass... which apparently can't even cut cloth.  *facepalm*

That having been said, it's still an extremely effective defence - it's just a slight amount of work for my military instead of no work.  (Also, a warthog that attempted to wander in died ludicrously quickly.)

Don't bash green glass! In an older fort, I had several siege-breakers--traps that lured in and dropped gobbos en-masse onto green glass spikes; so that they died slowly and painfully :D

Labant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: October 17, 2010, 07:49:50 pm »

Start a new embark, part of the Biome is colder than the other with a brook and murky pool frozen over....which my wagon and all my supplies start right on top of!.  Figure I have enough time to build a stockpile room in the mountain we are right next to. 1 game month in I am just finishing it up and about to make my stockpile and all of a sudden the ice is gone...guess where 2 dwarfs and the ENTIRE cart with all the barrels, animals, you name it except for whatever equipment the other few dwarfs had on them....no clue how I am going to survive this if only 1 game month in all my supplies are pretty much gone with no way to get them back easily and having only one pick left and they dwarf with it not wanting to mine they are all going to starve less than 2 months into the embark at this rate

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: October 17, 2010, 07:56:08 pm »

....no clue how I am going to survive this if only 1 game month in all my supplies are pretty much gone with no way to get them back easily and having only one pick left and they dwarf with it not wanting to mine they are all going to starve less than 2 months into the embark at this rate

Simple solution. (if you started over the pool)  Dig out a large room in the dirt on the same z-level and next to the pool.  Then, when the room is ready, channel out as many tiles between the room and poll as you can from above.  The water will drain from the pool, into the room and create access to the goods and supplies.  Added Bonus: You get a Farm room out of the deal.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 729