Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129995 times)

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2115 on: July 22, 2010, 04:09:59 am »

Built a pump stack down into the cavern lakes. For giggles, didn't even line it up with the walls of the cavern. I just constructed the remaining three levels--floating the intake of the stack right at the surface.

Got everything set up, windmill power ready at the pull of a lever, emergency drainage ready to go.

Pull the lever.

Pumps start moving.

No water?

Pumps are all lined up right. Run down to the bottom, also no water.

Look at the intake--Open Space, Water 7/7--good. 

Drop down a level--Water 7/7, Muddy Blood thorn. Why is there a tree... in the LAKE. /wallbanger
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: July 22, 2010, 07:39:24 am »

Fairly good embark; lots of trees, dolomite 2-z down, a river -- oh look an alligator swimming under the river, I'll have to be careful around him -- ponds just the right size to irrigate my standard farming area.

Ok, you three get started digging out the entrance. Woodsman, take down this patch of trees; and farmer, clear out the edibles from the same patch. Once I get the long hallway dug out, we're gonna plan a hospital with a collapsible roof one floor down. Then we can--

Urist McFarmer has been struck down.
Torn in half by an alligator.
Ten minutes, tops.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:49:27 am by AngleWyrm »

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: July 22, 2010, 12:50:47 pm »

I just found out that goblins aren't as extinct as I'd thought they were. With no military, no traps, and my iron bridge not linked up to a lever, I think it's fair to say the fort will have some issues with repelling these invaders.

EDIT: I have some War Elephants chained up next to my bridge.. Hopefully this won't end too terribly.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:53:42 pm by Organum »
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Lupusater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: July 22, 2010, 04:08:42 pm »

Making an alert that forces the entire civilian population in a burrow in the deepest cave... and declaring it when a FB spawns in that same cave. Luckily, I lost only 2 dwarves.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: July 23, 2010, 01:43:25 pm »

Atom smasher for the destruction of invader clothing.  (All greenskin clothing bust be purged in holy fire in a magma smelter or purified via atomsmashing before use.  It is unclean.)  Since I had a map that freezes I decided to go the nonsensical way and build the entire thing out of ice instead of bronze or iron.  The atom smasher is constructed and is fully functional.

Unfortunately summer comes.  And while the main structure is made of ice, it is a construction and does not melt.  The bridge however does, and I hadn't activated the smashing in awhile.

I am now watching as my architect removes every piece of trash one at a time from the compactor so he can build a new (stone) bridge where the ice one was.  The compactor was full of more than 12 pages of junk.

*facepalm*
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: July 23, 2010, 04:02:39 pm »

In honor of .11 i decided to start a new fortress. I set it all up, picked a nice spot by the river, huh, seems to be frozen. Strange. Well no matter lets just put the wagon and supplies right on the ice. Hey fisherdwarf stand there and watch the stuff. *unpause* River suddenly thaws... Your fisherdwarf has drowned. Lol, day one? not so good... :P
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: July 23, 2010, 05:09:21 pm »

After my second fortress got to a reasonably stable level (first was overrun by goblins because I wasn't able to sort out getting my militia armed and armored), but started slowing down a bit (old laptop), I decided to challenge myself by embarking on tundra with an aquifer... with a default group...
Ok, so it looks like I have what I need reasonably.  I strike the earth, start hollowing out some rooms, everywhere is sand and silt, well I figure I'll get to some rock eventually...
three levels down I hit damp silt.  I've read the stories, so I got a sinking sensation right there.  Checked a few other places, and yea, damp silt clear across the map.  I take stock of my resources... 2 picks, 2 axes (hah), booze, food, cloth, thread... no construction materials...  no wait!  I have the logs in the wagon!  So I deconstruct the wagon, and I have three logs, just enough to build a pump... no wait, need one more for a workshop, crap.  (read about it later and one pump wouldn't have done it anyway).  So I run off to the wiki, ok if I expose it to open air it'll freeze and I can get down there, awesome.  Start digging, get confused and abandon one dig because I screwed up some designations, second try works smoothly.  Once I start digging in the aquifer I notice I seem to be getting open space instead of ice walls.  I check the wiki again, it's bugged and I can just build wood floors over them and remove, then there will be wall I can dig into, I continue digging, then get the messages:
Urist McMiner Entombed in Ice
Urist McOtherminer Entombed in Ice
*Facepalm* they channeled under their feet, well their sacrifice won't be in vain, the floor is channeled out at least.  I build/remove the floor, reverting the open space to ice walls, then assign another dwarf to mining to dig out a stairwell so I can get under the aquifer...
Nobody is doing anything, the dwarf doesn't have a pick... Both my picks are encased in ice... @#*MEGAFACEPALM*#@

Now we'll see if my dwarves can survive until a caravan arrives and sell everything they have (like the crappy axes) for a pick, and continue onward.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: July 23, 2010, 09:15:58 pm »

Realising after more than 2 years of playing this game that you can hotkey locations. Armok bugger me.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: July 23, 2010, 10:56:29 pm »

I am currently facepalming while half the fort is resting in bed with numb feet from the forgotten beast extract that's been splashed all over the entrance by the flood.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: July 24, 2010, 12:07:52 am »

I am currently facepalming while half the fort is resting in bed with numb feet from the forgotten beast extract that's been splashed all over the entrance by the flood.

is that battlefailed or one of your own?

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: July 26, 2010, 08:11:38 am »

Had two dorfs die of thirst in an above-ground tower I made. Eventually I realised that I had made them build a door over empty space, so while it looked like the dorfs could easily get out of the tower, they couldn't actually pass through the door.

Their skeletons were in that tower for about 5 years before I realised my mistake.

Had one dorf die of thirst and another come close by sticking them in tower with up/down staircases, but neglected to ensure that the stairs on the floor below actually led up as well.

Oh the joys of above-ground building.  ::)
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: July 26, 2010, 08:46:38 am »

Had two dorfs die of thirst in an above-ground tower I made. Eventually I realised that I had made them build a door over empty space, so while it looked like the dorfs could easily get out of the tower, they couldn't actually pass through the door.

Their skeletons were in that tower for about 5 years before I realised my mistake.

Had one dorf die of thirst and another come close by sticking them in tower with up/down staircases, but neglected to ensure that the stairs on the floor below actually led up as well.

Oh the joys of above-ground building.  ::)

Hahaha i had a similar problem except in reverse. Every now and then i accidently bugger up down/up starcases mining. Stranding my miners in strange and deadly locations and only realising it when they are hunting vermin. Of course i once constructed a guy onto the top of a wall... Right in time for goblin bowmen to turn up and use him as target practice.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: July 26, 2010, 09:26:11 am »

Digging a mine shaft right down to the bottom of the map, looking for the magma sea and not finding it. On several levels above bottom as well as bottommost. Panicked and used dfhack to reveal map temporarily to check if there was any magma at all. Realised that the magma sea was still there, right above the last layer I checked. Realised that I'd set worldgen options to add 2 levels at bottom - after turning off the SPECIAL layer. *facepalm*
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: July 26, 2010, 11:14:56 am »

Nearly flooded the lower levels of my fortress trying to set up a farm.  I had carefully dug out where I wanted to farm and even set up a floodgate system BEFORE I channeled through the wall keeping the brook in.  Channel through the wall... Floodgates didn't work like I wanted.  I had linked the floodgates to the same lever, thinking that when one raised the other would lower.  Nope, one raised and then they both were raised.  The water came in a lot faster than I expected, flooding right up the hallway and straight into my lower levels, where I was mining silver.  Luckily no one was there, and a quick lever pull stopped the water.  still took me a lot longer to get my farm set up, and we're not out of booze because the caravan had some barrels and we traded for silver.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: July 26, 2010, 01:10:56 pm »

I needed engravers, metalsmiths and various other things. I got a 22 dorf migrant wave, almost everyone was a clothier or milker.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 729