Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Warning; Contents may offend.  (Read 11404 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warning; Contents may offend.
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 01:33:42 am »

Well, I would hope nobody would take it that way. :P

I know I was being a bit pedantic, but honestly, the whole definition of "atheism" is confused enough as it is in this thread and I wanted to avoid more. But yeah, your point was well-made.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 01:55:39 am »

AND SO we are back to the reason why I stated this thread is here only to make people aware of a TV show.
!!&!!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 10:52:15 am »

This is taking atheism the wrong way.
I take atheism to mean not believing in god, and generally opposing any kind of organised religious, uh, organisation.
damn.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009, 10:55:04 am »

I can't listen at work, and probably won't at home, but I'm curious, what is it they talk about? I mean, do they talk about dealing with very religious people and how to explain to them being an athiest isn't the same as being a satan worshipper or, for example, how to make people understand that a lack of religion is not the same as having a religion?
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 11:33:14 am »

*physically restrains self from adding to this muddled thread, again.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 12:17:35 pm »

I can't listen at work, and probably won't at home, but I'm curious, what is it they talk about? I mean, do they talk about dealing with very religious people and how to explain to them being an athiest isn't the same as being a satan worshipper or, for example, how to make people understand that a lack of religion is not the same as having a religion?

Check the Archives. They talk about many, many different topics though what you've posted is indeed one of the overall themes of the show. One of my favorite video topics has nothing to do with religion at all. The topic title found in the Archives is Objecting to Objectivism.

tl;dr

Yes

*physically restrains self from adding to this muddled thread, again.

Have you tried not reading this thread? Or maybe just not posting anything in it? If not, start.
!!&!!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 10:19:35 pm »

Evidence: A is A.

Theory: A is always A.

aw yeah like me sum of dat

I see what you did there.

And your avatar is creepy as fuck.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 06:05:04 pm »

I hate Ayn Rand.

</francis>
!!&!!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 07:26:16 pm »

Yeknow reading over all this, makes me remember why I love discordianism so much.

Hail Eris!

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 07:27:04 pm »

I'll take the insult fine, as I know you are pre-disposed to do that on this subject, but:

Religion:
-Noun:
-Paraphrased: set of beliefs regarding the causes of the universe.
-A specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects.

Bam. I don't know how many times I'll say this but: Once a specific set of fundamental beliefs and practices is organized (as in, many people do it and it's agree'd upon) It's a religion by the definition. The NRA, as someone sarcastically said earlier, is not a religion, because they have no set of beliefs concerning God or the purpose of life and such. Atheism does. Just because they don't believe in God, they qualify as a religion because
they only need an agree'd upon opinion concerning God and related, which constitutes almost all of atheism, therefore it is a religion.

It's hard to believe you aren't being this ignorant on purpose.
Really? I would say the same thing, especially since I have the dictionary.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 07:50:36 pm »

Keyword being "set" of beliefs.

Not a single belief, that is just agreed upon by accident by many people. "I have no reason to believe that there are any gods."

And not organized, per se. Some people may decide to get together and discuss whatever they have in common, nobody has written down some dogma that must be followed or obeyed.

Otherwise, I'm going to sum up "God exists" as the whole belief of every Christian denomination. If any other "religion" says that "God exists", it must be the same one!

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 08:00:47 pm »

Like this one?

–noun
1.    a set of beliefs concerning the cause (Chance), nature (Of Chance), and purpose (Not concerning God) of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies (Which there isn't), usually involving devotional and ritual observances (Avoidance thereof or you might consider their organized resistance to other religions to count), and often containing a moral code (There isn't an absolute moral code is the moral code) governing the conduct of human affairs.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:11:06 pm by ¿ »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 08:09:15 pm »

Like this one?

–noun
1.    a set of beliefs concerning the cause (Chance), nature (Of Chance), and purpose (Not concerning God) of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies (Which there isn't), usually involving devotional and ritual observances (Avoidance thereof or you might consider their organized resistance to other religions to count), and often containing a moral code (There isn't an absolute moral code is the moral code) governing the conduct of human affairs.

Since one can be an atheist without caring about anything of that stuff, then no.

NO GOD BLAH BLAH BLAH SPECIFICS=Atheistic

NO GOD= Atheistic
SPECIFICS=added for purpose of calling it a "set of beliefs", not needed.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:10:50 pm by Sergius »

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 08:10:53 pm »

Look:
Religion:
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
Your beliefs on the subjects that make up religion:
NO GOD BLAH BLAH BLAH SPECIFICS=Atheistic
GOD BLAH BLAH BLAH SPECIFICS=Theistic

Either answer is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs which is a religion by the dictionary!

If there's an A.A.A.O.O (Angry Anarchists Against Organizations Organization), are they not an organization themselves just because they have a belief opposing organizations? It doesn't exempt them.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:14:14 pm by ¿ »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 08:13:11 pm »

Look:
Religion:
Either answer is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs which is a religion by the dictionary!

No, no and no.

If there's an A.A.A.O.O (Angry Anarchists Against Organizations Organization), are they not an organization themselves just because they have a belief opposing organizations? It doesn't exempt them.

Neither does it turn "anarchist" into an organization.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:16:04 pm by Sergius »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9