Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 309558 times)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #600 on: July 24, 2009, 01:20:11 pm »

But inconsistency is indeed the problem with the current setup.  Just scrolling menus is a bitch.  I mean:

Status Screen: Selecting a tabbed section uses the arrow keys, as do the Kitchen and Stocks tabs, even tough elsewhere it is almost explicit that [tab] changes a menus mode/tab section (prepare carefully screen).
Unit menu uses the arrow keys
"Select component" screens use the +/- keys
Trading screen uses the arrows
"Select job" menus use +/-.
Stockpile settings are just weird and anomalous in the context of the rest of the menus.

It isn't inconsistent if you notice that the arrow keys only are used for menus where there is no cursor to move around.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Mugros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 24, 2009, 01:30:02 pm »

It isn't inconsistent if you notice that the arrow keys only are used for menus where there is no cursor to move around.
Fine but in the context of interface design it still doesn't make any sense.
You don't need to change the scrolling keys to tell the user that you can't go left or right from this list. He will notice this as soon as he tries to do it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 26, 2009, 09:28:27 am »

For me, the only stumbling block was exploratory mining. Not the concept of it, but where to start looking.

Personally, I'd stop playing if the ASCII was removed as an option. It is, to me, THE most efficient way of displaying the information.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mugros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 26, 2009, 09:44:11 am »

Personally, I'd stop playing if the ASCII was removed as an option. It is, to me, THE most efficient way of displaying the information.
That is just stupid.
First, it is not ASCII. Second, if everything would be made of tiles, just make a tileset that looks characters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 26, 2009, 12:27:28 pm »

It is, to me, THE most efficient way of displaying the information

What do you mean? This statement is a bit weird especially since Roguelikes have long since had a "Look" command.

Ellie

• Bay Watcher
  • I will have my revenge...
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 26, 2009, 12:36:36 pm »

I suppose my main turnoff would be micromanaging, although I hope the Burrows that are hacked into the next version will help with that. I'm sure with Burrows and Dwarf Foreman-esque of a job manager, such gripes would be consolidated.

And despite the controversy surrounding it, I would like to see more flavor in the world. Descriptions of a dwarves features, paragraphs on the details of how various engravings are done on the jug your master craftsdwarf made. How the ground, soil, walls and plants are.

Blarg, most of this stuff is already planned XP. But those are my gripes. The Interface became second nature to me almost creepily easily.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 26, 2009, 04:32:44 pm »

I think the main turn off would be that intellect is required (intellect and vicious malevolence). The earth is a bit of an intellectual wasteland, and DF is far too awesome for most of the population of WoW players.

I think keeping a community clean of retards is a good thing.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 26, 2009, 04:40:28 pm »

I think keeping a community clean of retards is a good thing.

...why? It's a single-player game. Does it actually affect you if 12-year-olds and much older 12-year-olds can play it?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 26, 2009, 04:53:24 pm »

Yes, because they get onto the forums and demand stupid features which Toady (armok be with him) puts in because he's good to his players (putting in hotly demanded features early) which ruin my enjoyment of the game and require heavy modification (or unfixable if it's hardcoded) to fix up.

P.S. Chronic retards shouldn't be allowed to play such an awesome game, there's no logic behind it, I'm just a bastard)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 26, 2009, 04:57:11 pm »

I may be wrong here, but I'm sure Toady would rather make a good game than make an increasingly popular game.

cibbuano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://moviecritic.com.au
« Reply #610 on: July 26, 2009, 05:32:59 pm »

I think there are a lot of good suggestions on this thread... I enjoy playing without tilesets, but I agree with a previous poster, who suggested that, if you like the default display, you'd probably be able to go into the inits and set it yourself. Starting with a graphics set might keep around new players longer.

As for a starting build, it seems to me that it would be easy to have a 'Tutorial' selection on the startup menu, which could generate a pocket world from a defined seed.

quot;I need a SHELL!!" screams an insane Craftsdwarf.

"I''m too sleepy to go fishing," mutters a Fisherdwarf, "and all I''ve caught are these damn albino cave fish."

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 26, 2009, 05:54:33 pm »

Yes, because they get onto the forums and demand stupid features which Toady (armok be with him) puts in because he's good to his players (putting in hotly demanded features early) which ruin my enjoyment of the game and require heavy modification (or unfixable if it's hardcoded) to fix up.

Whoa there. Toady One codes for his own vision. The "retards" either get smarter or leave in idiotic frustration. You make it sound like your enjoyment has already been ruined.

Currently, DF's lowest point is its interface, but it's not that bad. DF doesn't really turn me off at all. I remember the first time I heard about Toady One making a sequel to that old Armok game back in...was it 2005? I stared at the information and prototype screenshots confusedly, with interest rapidly growing, and the lack of "graphics" only sucked me in further. Heheh. I can't believe it's come so far.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 26, 2009, 06:06:35 pm »

The different style caused me to get curious and that's one of the reasons I got into DF.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 26, 2009, 07:12:07 pm »

Rowan is in a constant state of internal rage.

But seriously, given what happens everywhere else, the retards and griefers appear and then a good game goes to shit because the sensible and visionary developers start pandering to a bunch of retards.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 26, 2009, 07:49:23 pm »

Rowan is in a constant state of internal rage.

But seriously, given what happens everywhere else, the retards and griefers appear and then a good game goes to shit because the sensible and visionary developers start pandering to a bunch of retards.

doubtful, a sensible developer would pander to such a thing, after all they will sell less in the long run.  a visionary developer also wouldn't due to the fact that he is catering towards a future demographic and not the current one.  either way you cut it, a game that panders to mmorpg players is developed from someone who is being neither sensible or visionary, and if it has any success then it is due to good marketing.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 136