Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 309127 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #330 on: April 26, 2009, 01:28:48 am »

And then, if you ever want a bed or table in a room that you DON'T want to be a dining room or bedroom, you're screwed. You can probably see the problem there.
That could be fixed, though, by having them default to being a dining room or bedroom (unless placed inside another room -- it's rare for players to want to have a room inside a room, so that'd be a logical check that could make for 'useful defaults'.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 26, 2009, 04:07:46 am »

But if the player's going to successfully play the game, they need to know how to designate rooms from buildings/furniture anyway. So it just ends up being a hassle.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 26, 2009, 07:56:02 am »

And then, if you ever want a bed or table in a room that you DON'T want to be a dining room or bedroom, you're screwed. You can probably see the problem there.
That could be fixed, though, by having them default to being a dining room or bedroom (unless placed inside another room -- it's rare for players to want to have a room inside a room, so that'd be a logical check that could make for 'useful defaults'.)

yeah this was exactly what i was thinking.

But if the player's going to successfully play the game, they need to know how to designate rooms from buildings/furniture anyway. So it just ends up being a hassle

imo the hassle really is that you have to manually make every table a dining room, on top of actually building it.
i didnt mean removing the option to resize, or to remove the dining room 'status' all together.
a bed that is placed in an enclosed room should by default become a bedroom the same size of the room, would really speed things up also.
no to mention simplifying the process for new players, which is what this thread is about, so i really cant see where the hassle is..

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 26, 2009, 09:45:00 am »

imo the hassle really is that you have to manually make every table a dining room, on top of actually building it.

But you don't have to make every table a dining room. In a communal dining room you only have to designate one table for all the tables to be used.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 26, 2009, 11:12:51 am »

Really brining the enlarging on the x-y axis (like when building a bridge, floor or wall) to every single item (traps, tables, cairs, doors, beds) would speed most things up.

Gertack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 26, 2009, 03:20:24 pm »

Really brining the enlarging on the x-y axis (like when building a bridge, floor or wall) to every single item (traps, tables, cairs, doors, beds) would speed most things up.

Yes!  I have around 40 caged animals right now and trying to place all those cages (especially since there's no good way to limit the display to cages with stuff in them) would be a nightmare. Fortunately I can go about that a different way.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #336 on: April 26, 2009, 03:28:33 pm »

No one who has understood Dwarf Fortress ever really 'leaves'. They may take a break, but sooner or later they all come back.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 26, 2009, 04:40:22 pm »

But you don't have to make every table a dining room. In a communal dining room you only have to designate one table for all the tables to be used.

That right there is something that needs to be simplified.  Dining rooms and overlapping room designations confused the hell out of me when I started playing, because I didn't know how rooms worked.  I thought you did have to designate every table, and the only indication the game gives that you're not supposed to do that is turn it's entry in the Room List red.  And that list is so useless with no searching or differentiation that I still don't use it for anything.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #338 on: April 26, 2009, 05:26:37 pm »

Your input has been really useful so far.  The things that really confused/annoyed you from the start, that's what I want to hear about.  Keep it coming!
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 26, 2009, 05:50:01 pm »

All the stuff you have to edit in the .int file was likely the most annoying thing right off the bat.

The screen is distorted, everything is screwed up, your downloaded graphics are not working and it takes 2 hours on the internet to figure out that you need to go into the .int file and change 70% of the setting just to play the game.

Then you need to look at your key-bindings, write down what everything does, and edit things things to make them work. Adventure Mode is especially counter-intuitive like this.

Also, UI things like designationing mulitiple things for trade, You are mashing the enter key untill your wrist aches just to buy anything, or to designate things to be dumped. Or managing dwarves. You have to memorize the name of the exact dwarf you need to work in a shop or sleep in a bed. It would be so much nicer if you could just click on a dwarf, click on a bed or something.

The screen/resolution/ aspect ratios and everything else baffles me to this day.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 26, 2009, 05:58:34 pm »

Your input has been really useful so far.  The things that really confused/annoyed you from the start, that's what I want to hear about.  Keep it coming!
From the start?  Huh.

The embark screen is very unintuitive to a new player; there's no real indication of what the various things and skills mean, which items are important, and so on.  Perhaps giving players a list of standard 'prefab' setups to pick from and then the option to customize those further for advanced players would be better.  "Start now" gives a pretty bad setup IIRC, which ought to be easy to fix...  but giving the player a list of a few specific setups and an explanation of each would be even better.

Likewise world generation and choosing a start location can be barriers to new players, although I don't think they're quite as bad as setting up your initial dwarves.  A bad start location can really limit a player's options, and a new player often won't know that (although there's some warnings now, which do help.)

I seem to recall that the first time I stopped playing for a while was when an important Legendary dwarf died and I just said "screw it!", but I don't know if anything can be done about that.

Some things are impossible to handle correctly unless you know about them in advance.  For example, every new player is going to miss the first merchant wagons, because they won't know to expect it and they get no warning.  I would suggest, instead of just making "the wagons have bypassed your inaccessible fortress", have the wagons wait a short while, giving the player time to build a road + depot (and tell them how to do it.)  Often, on a flat map, the player doesn't really need a road -- the wagons only bypass them because they didn't realize they had to build a depot.

Of course, a tutorial might do better at helping with this.

The interface is certainly intimidating to a new player.  Huge lists of buildings and buttons, without any real indicator of which things are important or essential, and which can be delayed or neglected.  Several things are given top-layer single-button access despite not really being that important or anything that a player will use regularly (the artifact list, say, or the depot access display -- do those really have to be single-button commands?)

There's also many conflicting interfaces.  Some things are done with dig-type designations, some things are done with depot menus, some things are done with zones, and some things are done with rooms/constructions.  Often there's considerable overlap between them -- digging a staircase vs. building a staircase, say.

Items are oddly-placed inside of submenus, often because of when the submenu was made.  Levers are listed under traps and not machine parts, for instance.  Bridges are a top-level construction item, but floors are under the 'C' menu.  Forges are under the 'furnace' menu instead of the 'workshop' menu, despite acting like workshops.  It isn't obvious to a new player why the submenus are set up the way they are, making it hard to guess where to look for something if you don't already know where it is.

Adjusting a dwarf's tasks is a hugely important part of the game, but it's really kind of tucked away in the V-P-L menu, in a place that at first glance looks like it's just for getting information about a dwarf and not for entering vital commands.

There's no way to review or change the labor settings on large numbers of dwarves at once.  There's no way to see who the top X dwarves in your fortress with a particular skill are.  These are major issues to a new player, because if they screw up the VPL settings or an important dwarf dies, they'll often be forced to go over all their dwarves by hand to fix things and assign new labors.  A centralized labor-management screen would help a huge amount with this.

Job suspensions and cancellations are easy to miss and can cause confusion or headaches to people who don't know about them; I think more jobs should be 'delayed' and attempt to continue later when the situation that is obstructing them is potentially temporary.

The game spams you with a lot of information, some of which (births, striking unimportant stone, dwarves organizing parties, masterwork notices for a legendary dwarf that is churning out masterworks regularly) is useless, and some of which (job cancellations, say) is hugely important.  Players have no indication of what's important; while it can be customized to an extent, new players won't know how to do that.  (Births and striking unimportant stone are the worst, because they actually pause the game and move the screen for something that, usually, won't require any action on the player's part.  Masterwork notifications are the biggest spam-generators on a large fortress at the default settings, though.)  Of course, IIRC much of this is going to be fixed in the next version, but it still bears mentioning.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:03:52 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 26, 2009, 06:48:35 pm »

There's no way to review or change the labor settings on large numbers of dwarves at once.  There's no way to see who the top X dwarves in your fortress with a particular skill are.  These are major issues to a new player, because if they screw up the VPL settings or an important dwarf dies, they'll often be forced to go over all their dwarves by hand to fix things and assign new labors.  A centralized labor-management screen would help a huge amount with this.
Dear god, yes - I still absolutely hate the system, even with Dwarf Manager. At least with DM you get a better view of the situation.
マグマキッド

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 26, 2009, 06:50:45 pm »

Besides that, once you get learn the game, and get deep into a single fortress that gradual FPS slowdown ruins the fun of the game.

I don't know if its the number of items produced or dwarves or what, but every fortress eventiually slows to a crawl and the game becomes unplayable.

After the time and effort invested to learn how the play the game and configure the .int and learn how to keep a fortress running is wasted because 4 years into a fortress, you will want to abandon due to the FPS and CPU strain.

Daft

• Bay Watcher
  • Enthusiastic but Incompetent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 26, 2009, 07:02:54 pm »

At first I was kinda confused because, for example, you needed a bed to build a bed. Only later did I discover that the B menu was actually just for placing furniture, not making it.

Now I've mastered the controls, and made pretty self-sustaining fortresses, and tried a bunch of megaprojects, and now I'm a bit bored, really. :c It's gotten... too easy. Needs more learning curve.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 26, 2009, 07:03:13 pm »

We figure we are losing 90% of the players because of the UI and other barriers, and that doesn’t even count the ones scared away by the ASCII graphics.

What do you think is scaring people away?  The building placement?  Designations?  The embark screen?  Or maybe its finding the right tile sets and setting them up.  We are hoping at some point to build easier commands and tutorials to help bring in more players.  We have to identify the main culprits first.  So what is frustrating you the most about Dwarf Fortress?
Everything you said... IS the interface.  with the mainly text based interface and keyboard inputs, it's hard to designate areas, place buildings, embark, etc.  As a professional e-Learning developer, I see it day in and day out in the stats we collect on every course.  Courses with poor, confusing, or less than intuitive interfaces score lower, generally return less than favorable comments, and garner the most "resistance" to learning.  I spend nearly 90% of my time developing and fixing features in the interfaces to make it better and more intuitive so our students can learn more without the application getting in the way.

This is what I see going on with DF.  The interface makes it hard to do EVERYTHING in the game and it makes it hard to pick up.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 136