Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I have begun!  (Read 13599 times)

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have begun!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 05:51:41 pm »

I suggest for convience you build a miniature of your magma tank for the levers, and position each lever where the floodgate/hatch/bridge is.  :D Add 'landmarks' for extra clarity.
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 06:14:23 pm »

Hey this thread generated a sig! :D
Anyway, looks like I'm going to go with hatches, if I can figure it out I'll put in a doomsday clock too.
Also about the mini-tanks thing, I was thinking about putting a lever under each hatch (underground of course) so that I don't have to bother with making a lever room that makes NO sense whatsoever, you know, "hmm where does this lever drop magma, lets pull it!"
*pull lever*
"Shit, there goes my entrance"
(my entrance has no floor on the outside, it just has some grates, so that I don't accidentally flood my entrance when I turn on my artificial waterfall.)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 07:04:08 pm »

Cool idea, only one problem I've seen with what y'all are talking about; rain only fills murky pools with water at the moment, due to current came mechanics.  When better game mechanics are in, rain will evaporate before hitting more than 5/7 lava.

Just make sure all of your mechanisms are magma proof.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 09:18:51 pm »

Urist McDwarf: Our magma pressure will blot out the sun!
Pansy Elf: Then we shall hug in the sha- BLLLLLLLARGH!!! MY ARMS!! MY ARMS!! THEY'RE MEEELTING!!!
Sigged!

Hey this thread generated a sig! :D

woohoo! first time I've been quoted in a sig!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 09:31:13 pm »

Evaporation shouldn't be too big of a problem with the planned 16 z-levels of magma, pressurized magma, because of the pump thing, the only question is, where the hell do I pump from, the bottom of the flow, or the top? I think the bottom would be good for preventing lag-of-magma syndrome (it's horrible), but it would require about 24 extra pumps, but hey, it's definitely dwarfy enough. Now I just need to figure out how to build a doomsday countdown.
edit: I just realized something, if I do this, I can't order my dwarves inside ><
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:30:05 pm by Shad0wyone »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 06:23:13 pm »

Make it several levels so you get magma pressure
Magma doesn't get pressurized, I'm afraid

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 06:33:06 pm »

Unless pumped.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 06:59:23 pm »

I have begun my megaproject, a giant tank of magma above the world made of limestone (I have too much of it), the question is, should I instead make MASSES of hatches to drop magma where ever in the world i want to? It's dwarfy enough alright, but is that possible? Anyway, I want to hear your thoughts on it. If I do use hatches I'll use bauxite hatches, and put them every 10 or so blocks.

Bauxite retractable bridges for the "Hatches" that way you can have a 10x10 drop area for maximum effect.
Currently using a 10x10 5-zl high tower this way to deal with incoming skeletal elk swarms.
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 07:10:05 pm »

Pumped magma doesn't have pressure either, it's just the pump's doing. For example, if you have a big pumped chamber of magma with a u-bend pipe opened at the bottom, it won't rush back up the other other end of the pipe. The pump will FORCE magma up the pipe, but not until there's nowhere else for it to pump to.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 07:39:44 pm »

Magma will drain out of a 600 z-level tower a million times faster than a 10 z-level tower though. YAY FOR TELEPORTING MAGMA!!!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 09:00:16 pm »

Magma will drain out of a 600 z-level tower a million times faster than a 10 z-level tower though. YAY FOR TELEPORTING MAGMA!!!

That would be pressure though, which magma isn't supposed to have, last I checked. Punch a hole in the side of the bottom z-level of a magma pipe, it won't pour out that fast.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 09:05:26 pm »

If the pump is powered, and there are no diagonals or doors between it and the magma's path, it will generate pressure, as such:

Code: [Select]
......._
%%~....~
..~....~
..~~~~~~
. = wall
%%= pump
_=open space
~=magma
Just so I remember

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 09:15:11 pm »

True, but that doesn't mean that magma is now pressurized, just that the pump can move it as if it WAS pressurized. A tank of magma is the same whether pumped or poured. If you pop a hole in the bottom, it won't go spurting out like water, unless you have a large array of pumps to enhance the pressure enough to equal the effect, and even then it won't work unless the tank is completely full.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 11:27:18 pm »

I suggest that each individual hatch be controlled by a separate lever, and that the levers be made of various colors of stone, and clustered together in a lever room such that they form a map.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 11:35:04 pm »

Why is it that in every single thread pertaining to magma, someone always posts the classic "Magma isn't pressurized." misconception?
Pages: 1 [2] 3