Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I have begun!  (Read 13597 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Re: I have begun!
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 02:07:46 am »

Nononononono.

You need to blanket the ground level with channels covered by floor hatches, and link them to the same triggers for the hatches. That way, after the lava has fallen, setting fore to the elves and stuffs, it will flow into the channels and back into your magma pipe, thus recycling your magma.

Killing trees and being eco friendly!
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 06:52:31 am »

so put bauxite floor grate covered drains in everywhere. and put them in a grid with magma drop points in the middle of each square. also, unlike in my picture, you really dont need to have each tile of your drainage ditches open to the surface, that would involve a retarded amount of grates.

here is a mockup,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

this can also prevent spread of grass fires. you probably want some kind of drainage as you may want to get out there and pick up the iron in a timely manner without having to wait half a year for the magma to spread out and evaporate enough to be safe. also iron or steel grates are just as magmaproof. same with the hatches. bauxite is only important for mechanisms. although a grid or red # marks across the map would be pretty. like glowing pits crisscrossing the landscape.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 01:29:06 pm »

edit: I just realized something, if I do this, I can't order my dwarves inside ><
Inside/outside doesnt matter. What you look for is Above Ground/Subterranean. I know it's confusing, but iirc that's how it works. comes up almost every day one way or another.
Pages: 1 2 [3]