Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do full coffins cause tantrums?  (Read 1078 times)

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
Do full coffins cause tantrums?
« on: April 11, 2009, 09:05:36 pm »

I'd like to put all my coffins in the mayor's bedroom.
As sort of a "You killed them!" reminder.  I just wonder if this will cause the mayor to go mad.
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Re: Do full coffins cause tantrums?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 09:07:33 pm »

nah :/

leaving the rotting corpses in his room would upset him. although it would also upset all the friends of those dwarves more.

[edit for clarity:]

full coffins don't upset dwarves. dwarves rotting without a coffin will upset other dwarves, partially from the miasma but mostly just the knowledge that their friend rotted.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:19:20 pm by AncientEnemy »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 09:33:45 pm »

nah :/

leaving the rotting corpses in his room would upset him. although it would also upset all the friends of those dwarves more.

[edit for clarity:]

full coffins don't upset dwarves. dwarves rotting without a coffin will upset other dwarves, partially from the miasma but mostly just the knowledge that their friend rotted.

This is however an awesome idea. Every dorf that kills a dorf should have that dorf buried in his room. Kind of as a trophy. Epic!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 10:00:38 pm »

This is however an awesome idea. Every dorf that kills a dorf should have that dorf buried in his room. Kind of as a trophy. Epic!

Actually, that was sort of where I got the idea.  I had a dwarf go mad and kill another dwarf.  So I decided to give his wife a bed in his tomb, so she could still sleep near him.
But I have too many single dwarfs, so I decided to just give them all to my mayor, to remind him of his horrible mistakes.
But my friend had said it could drive them insane.  Thanks for telling me I don't need to worry about that.
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 10:31:37 pm »

More like still sleep WITH him. Oh snap! Diss!
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 10:56:51 pm »

More like still sleep WITH him. Oh snap! Diss!
You're just insane.

Actually, that was sort of where I got the idea.  I had a dwarf go mad and kill another dwarf.  So I decided to give his wife a bed in his tomb, so she could still sleep near him.
But I have too many single dwarfs, so I decided to just give them all to my mayor, to remind him of his horrible mistakes.
But my friend had said it could drive them insane.  Thanks for telling me I don't need to worry about that.
He may "admire own fine burial receptacle lately" if you're not careful. Which would actually make him happier.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 02:12:45 pm »

He may "admire own fine burial receptacle lately" if you're not careful. Which would actually make him happier.

yes, yes, and he'll thow parties, spend his breaks peering into the glass encrusted glass (atleast in my fort, that's what I use).

just give him bonecarn as wel for that mose gruesome effect.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 03:04:10 pm »

I would actually like to have a person buried in my house. It'd be cool.

During parties I'd serve the drinks on his coffin and we'd dance and then I'd show the new guys that my friends brought ... the mystical corpse and they'd be WHOA and we'd all be like YEAH! ... of course this is after decomposition has stopped.
It wouldn't be appropriote otherwise.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 03:45:43 am »

Get a good embalmer.  (Altho' taxidermists are cheaper.)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 04:44:35 am »

Get a good embalmer.  (Altho' taxidermists are cheaper.)
You made me look for a dwarf with the "embalmer" profession for a while there.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 05:35:15 am »

I'm always amazed by the dwarves' ability to distinguish their friends' rotting gas from other kinds of rotting gas. I wonder what evolutionary process lead them to do that.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 06:47:00 am »

In my current fortress, I just put all of my coffins on the edge of my huge meeting area/statue garden
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 12:32:16 pm »

I'm always amazed by the dwarves' ability to distinguish their friends' rotting gas from other kinds of rotting gas. I wonder what evolutionary process lead them to do that.

I expect it was just the natural evolutionary processes brought on by ordinary Dorf life cycles. They have a whooole lot of friends die over the years.