Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 83

Author Topic: Do not trust the Rainbow Snail (Updated 2/09/11)  (Read 99384 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Do not trust the Rainbow Snail
« Reply #555 on: August 09, 2010, 05:26:03 pm »

"Wait. How does 'fractal recursion' even make sense syntactically? Fractals are constructed using recursion not the other way around! Or is it some kind of metaphor that has nothing to do with the mathematical meaning of the words? "
I would guess it means that the recursive time loop we have seen is nothing more than a small repeating piece of an even larger loop. A time loop formed of an infinite number of timeloops.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 09, 2010, 05:30:50 pm »

"Wait. How does 'fractal recursion' even make sense syntactically? Fractals are constructed using recursion not the other way around! Or is it some kind of metaphor that has nothing to do with the mathematical meaning of the words? "
The answer is Oboe.

A cycle inside a cycle inside a cycle.
Sophia, don't trust anyone. Not gleejoy, not the Angels, and certainly not this thing. Whatever it is, it's not you. You're not it. And whatever it want's you to kill... Make sure your own path parallells his before you kill someone.
We are not this abomination, nor are we the abominations out there. We are normal. WE CAN SEE.
WE ARE ALONE IN OUR ASCENDANCY.

But we can take a few others. Those in your school. Some of the less willing Gleejoy. Others who, like us, are "Crazy".
IF WE ARE MAD. WE'LL TAKE THEM DOWN WITH US.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 09, 2010, 05:50:56 pm »

That has nothing to do with fractals. It's branching, recursive, and complex, but it isn't GEOMETRICAL.  At best, a fractal could be used as a visual aid for thinking about it, but probably not.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #558 on: August 10, 2010, 12:35:14 pm »

*bump*
i'm gonna watch this.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 11, 2010, 12:38:36 pm »

"
That has nothing to do with fractals. It's branching, recursive, and complex, but it isn't GEOMETRICAL.  At best, a fractal could be used as a visual aid for thinking about it, but probably not.
:"Wait! How can recursion be fractal?  Shouldn't it be the other way round?  You're not making any sense!"

:"Oh, Sophia.  We always were the intelligent one, calculating and cynical even in the face of terror.  If you must know, I wasn't referring to "fractal" as the adjective of a noun.  I was referring to it as an adjective of the adjective.  A type of recursion:  The recursion OF a fractal.  For surely you must agree that recursive formulas can be unique, and there is a great deal of difference between the recursion of a simple cycle and that of a shape with infinite perimeter.

But this is not the time to argue about syntax or mathematics.  In case you have forgotten, I've been explaining your destiny.  Your reason for existence.

You are here to end recursion.  And all you have to do is confront the problems that plague your life.  The Lord of the Flies...his execution will come later.  Do not worry about it right now.  More pressing problems are closing in.  And we cannot allow them to break you."

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 11, 2010, 12:51:57 pm »

like what? daymares of progress?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 11, 2010, 01:52:36 pm »

"Purpose? Why must there be a purpose?
Does the Earth have a purpose? No, it circles the sun, but that is no purpose. Purpose is a human concept, and I need no purpose.

"'purpose' aside, What would you have me do? I can't guarantee I'll do it, but I'd like to see if you have any better ideas of carrying out my... Plan."
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 11, 2010, 02:15:17 pm »

"Wait a moment, the kind of recursion stable timeloops belong to does not exist inside time, so the concept of change, of wich ending is a subtype, is nonsensical!
Unless you're implying some kind of metatime, there is no cart of Present circling around the looping track of time, it's just a static ring with no oscillation to render unstable."
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 11, 2010, 02:50:42 pm »

"Wait a moment, the kind of recursion stable timeloops belong to does not exist inside time, so the concept of change, of wich ending is a subtype, is nonsensical!
Unless you're implying some kind of metatime, there is no cart of Present circling around the looping track of time, it's just a static ring with no oscillation to render unstable."
Outside of mathematics no resursion is perfect. These timeloops are NOT stable, they repeat with minor changes every time through the loop. A perfect timeloop cannot end, but even a slight flaw in the recursion can build up more and more until the loop is broken. Think of the loop as being like a top: it seems to repeat, but eventually it will begin to falter, and then collapse.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 11, 2010, 03:04:05 pm »

Do you actually know the math and physics behind this? Or for that matter, read my allusion to an explanatioid?
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 11, 2010, 03:55:01 pm »

Armok, how exactly would Sophia come across highly advanced mathmatical knowledge? We have no indication that that's her field of specialty, or that this civilization is advanced to the point that that's common knowledge.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 11, 2010, 04:17:04 pm »

There is no reason she would, other than me thinking it'd result in a more compelling story to have an intelligent character taking initiative and manipulation these things with understanding.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 11, 2010, 04:39:23 pm »

Two words: shes insane.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 11, 2010, 05:02:10 pm »

We're sorry, the line is busy. Ple-

^%^%$%$

:Do not interfere with the beliefs of my children.  I will not tolerate the destruction of hope!

&*^$%$$%

-ease hang up and try again!

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 11, 2010, 05:03:27 pm »

ah, that makes perfect sense. go with her sophia.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 83