Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Insane Difficulty  (Read 8028 times)

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Insane Difficulty
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2009, 09:13:35 pm »

Alright, but I have a bigger problem now

I'm generation alot of worlds to try to test things, but every time I try to start a fort, DF crashes.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? I've been throwing tags around willy-nilly a lot, can horrible things happen if I give the wrong creature the wrong tag, or if I give the same tag to a creature twice?

Did you checked the error.txt file? might have to clear it and re-gen to get all the current errors.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2009, 09:20:57 pm »

Alright, but I have a bigger problem now

I'm generation alot of worlds to try to test things, but every time I try to start a fort, DF crashes.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? I've been throwing tags around willy-nilly a lot, can horrible things happen if I give the wrong creature the wrong tag, or if I give the same tag to a creature twice?

Did you checked the error.txt file? might have to clear it and re-gen to get all the current errors.
What he said.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2009, 09:52:09 pm »

So, ideally, I shouldn't have any errors?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2009, 09:58:51 pm »

I say that because, I did what you said, and DF is still crashing.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2009, 09:59:54 pm »

How does it crash though? Just a black screen, or an error message?

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2009, 11:11:17 pm »

To make plants take longer to grow, look in matgloss_plant in the raws folder, then change the [GROWDUR:#] to something else. The higher the #, the longer it takes to grow. 1 is like every 3 seconds, 800 i think is one season.

As for the crashing, have you added any items? I had a crossbow modded in that i forgot to take out, and it kept crashing the game because it was impossible to make. Post your raws folder, we'll take a look.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2009, 11:16:07 pm »

To make plants take longer to grow, look in matgloss_plant in the raws folder, then change the [GROWDUR:#] to something else. The higher the #, the longer it takes to grow. 1 is like every 3 seconds, 800 i think is one season.

As for the crashing, have you added any items? I had a crossbow modded in that i forgot to take out, and it kept crashing the game because it was impossible to make. Post your raws folder, we'll take a look.

Thank you very much Eagle, in fact, I added the Demon Wraiths that Rysith mentioned, along with their odd items. I'll try taking those out, and see if it helps.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2009, 11:29:10 pm »

Drats, it didn't work! At this rate, I'm gonna have to start hacking the raws apart and start anew.

Well, maybe I could do something more original than just make everything a firey monstrosity anyway. This whole firey heat death dilemma had me thinking, I remember some interesting mods in the past that could merge nicely with this one.

Just gotta throw in some more fireballs, and that'll be nice.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2009, 11:36:48 pm »

Wait a minute... try setting your bunnies' [HOMEOTHERM] higher. [FIXED_TEMP] is generated heat; [HOMOTHERM] is normal body temp. Dunno, might work. 

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2009, 11:41:26 pm »

I've come across an odd phenomena, while adventure with a magma man (to see if I can see anything on fire with that), I jumped into a lake, believing that my character would not evaporate the water, but he did! Now, I just need to figure out why the water will evaporate but the grass won't combust!

I've tried the HOMEOTHERM thing before, it just causes the creature's body to burst into flames and die instantly.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2009, 11:55:49 pm »

Hmm, i dont know. You need to get a more experienced modder to see to that.

About the water evaporation: its pretty well known; there have been people adventuring as SOF's and sleeping at the bottom of the ocean (before that got fixed). Ends up draining the local area of water, albeit at massive FPS loss.

Post your raws, ill take a look tomorrow and see if i can help you. Good night.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2009, 01:11:47 am »

Yep, I simply can't seem to making everything a living embodiment of fire and death, so I'll just have to find more creative ways of bringing the pain to my dwarves.

Anyway, saved some of my progress, then wiped the Raws file clean and put in all the default files that I backed up earlier, the slate is clean.

Alright, DF works!

Now to mess it up again.

I've already started mish-mashing existing mods together. The large insects (made larger, more numerous and added LARGE_PREDATOR) from the civilization forge mod have been added. Also, took the zombies from Zombie Mod, made them LARGE_PREDATORS, gave them BIOME:ALL_MAIN and made them more numerous as well.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm leaning towards "wacky and hilarious, but incredibly hard" when thinking about this mod.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2009, 08:38:33 am »

Grass won't burn on it's own.  Something else needs to start on fire first like a log, clothing, corpse, etc.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2009, 11:25:50 am »

So the "Wargs" are a special mount? Neat! Mind if I use it?

I've already included most of the creatures from my "MOAR MEGABEASTZ" thread, so this could turn into a really neat mod.
To be clear, Wargs are nothing more than the Orcs Mod Dire Wolf; but bigger (+3 size), smarter (added trap avoid and can learn - though I have no idea what can learn actually does), and more brave (no fear, no pain). 
In my fort I started last night, they came when I was at population ~20.  My woodchopper/axeman, 5 marksmen, and 1 recruit crossbowman were crushed without killing (or possibly hurting) any of them.  I then militia-ed the entire fort and taking them on 1 at a time I didn't have any more injuries.

In the end, lost of FUN.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2009, 05:27:26 pm »

So the "Wargs" are a special mount? Neat! Mind if I use it?

I've already included most of the creatures from my "MOAR MEGABEASTZ" thread, so this could turn into a really neat mod.
To be clear, Wargs are nothing more than the Orcs Mod Dire Wolf; but bigger (+3 size), smarter (added trap avoid and can learn - though I have no idea what can learn actually does), and more brave (no fear, no pain). 
In my fort I started last night, they came when I was at population ~20.  My woodchopper/axeman, 5 marksmen, and 1 recruit crossbowman were crushed without killing (or possibly hurting) any of them.  I then militia-ed the entire fort and taking them on 1 at a time I didn't have any more injuries.

In the end, lost of FUN.

CAN_LEARN allows creatures to gain exp, leveling up their skills, such as Mining or cooking. Since wargs arent going to be cooking or mining, this exp goes towards their Wrestling skill, Swimming skill, maybe Ambush skill, and perhaps Swimming. Though, i doubt they'll live long enough to get good at anything.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10