Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Insane Difficulty  (Read 8032 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Insane Difficulty
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 01:48:55 pm »

Yeah, the zombie mod is hard. Adventuring is insane.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 02:01:42 pm »

did you consider simply modding away all weapons for goblins except for crossbows ?

that alone should make things harder
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 02:05:03 pm »

Search the forums for a mod called "Ender Goblins."

I believe tests have shown that an army of vanilla dwarves with at least proficient in some weapon and a good 20 weapon champions decked out in full steel can hope to take down one as long as a cave-in has knocked it out first.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2009, 02:21:14 pm »

Org, your spider has a maxage but doesn't breed. Throw in a line about children and it should be fine.

For additional (though untested) difficulty, replace kobolds with demon wraiths, so that your thieves and ambushes will be on-par with HFS rather than wimpy kobolds.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2009, 02:24:21 pm »

I put in [BABY:1]. Is that right?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 02:29:47 pm »

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 02:31:58 pm »

Search the forums for a mod called "Ender Goblins."

I believe tests have shown that an army of vanilla dwarves with at least proficient in some weapon and a good 20 weapon champions decked out in full steel can hope to take down one as long as a cave-in has knocked it out first.

I am familiar with the Ender goblins Duke. However, I want something more along the lines of "unending swarm of evil" than "invincible creations from the depths of hell". It's like the difference between pepsi and coke, subtle, but distinguishable.

Using the Orc entity, I've made civs from bronze colossi, Demons, Frog Demons, and Spirits of fire. Oh, and I set them to be active during all seasons AND set them to be ambush/siege capable, and removed CAN_SPEAK so they'll always be at war with us AND gave them all EQUIPS and METAL_PREF so the demons and colossi will be wearing steal armor and using steel weapons on top of their already prodigial endurance.

did you consider simply modding away all weapons for goblins except for crossbows ?

that alone should make things harder

Interesting...

Org, your spider has a maxage but doesn't breed. Throw in a line about children and it should be fine.

For additional (though untested) difficulty, replace kobolds with demon wraiths, so that your thieves and ambushes will be on-par with HFS rather than wimpy kobolds.

I expect nothing less from you Rysith, thanks for the Orcs. Can you elaborate on what makes a creature able to procreate?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 02:33:25 pm »

Have you tested the Adamantine Collossus?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 02:40:04 pm »

you could do the same thing the captain did to make nist akath more challenging

he modded dragons to have size and damblock on 100 (which is 4 times as strong as an ender goblin)

then make a race of these, and presto
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 02:46:07 pm »

Have you tested the Adamantine Collossus?

Not yet, I'm a bit obsessed with setting the world ablaze.

you could do the same thing the captain did to make nist akath more challenging

he modded dragons to have size and damblock on 100 (which is 4 times as strong as an ender goblin)

then make a race of these, and presto

I'd like to make a clear line between possible and impossible, as there's a difference between difficulty and unplayability.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2009, 03:23:47 pm »

I applied the current orcs mod, and then added my own custom Warg... Not impossible, but a lot harder than I expected. 
 I have yet to pass season 3 before Wargs show up and start destroy dwarfs - even when all the dwarfs had 3 points in wrestler (next fort will have to focus on defense).  Cleared out last pack of 4, lost 3 dwarfs and 2 caravan gaurds. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2009, 03:28:57 pm »

So the "Wargs" are a special mount? Neat! Mind if I use it?

I've already included most of the creatures from my "MOAR MEGABEASTZ" thread, so this could turn into a really neat mod.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 03:47:24 pm »

This looks like fun, are you going to upload this to the DFFD after you're done?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2009, 04:08:42 pm »

This looks like fun, are you going to upload this to the DFFD after you're done?

Sure, why not?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2009, 06:37:32 pm »

I expect nothing less from you Rysith, thanks for the Orcs. Can you elaborate on what makes a creature able to procreate?

No problem =)

Creatures can breed as long as they have a [CHILD:#] (and optionally a [BABY:#]) tag in there somewhere. The # is the age at which they move on to the next stage, so [CHILD:12][BABY:1] would make them be babies for a year, then a child to 12, and then adult thereafter. To my knowledge, though, it only loosely affects things outside of history gen (so non-breeding non-aging non-megabeasts won't go extinct faster than breeding non-megabeasts, for example). In general, anything that can civ should be able to breed (and thus expand), and anything that isn't immortal should be able to breed. Org's spiders, for example, would stop existing after the first 300 years of worldgen.

Mount-wise, I'll have to recommend the Orc's Armored War Elephants, which I've been lead to believe will reliably trash fortresses.

To get things to spawn with adamantine weapons and armor is a bit difficult. I believe, though, that if you remove [DEEP] from adamantine, remove [METAL_PREF] from the dwarves, add [METAL_PREF] to your enemies, and add some biome tags to adamantine (small clusters or single tiles in igneous intrusive, maybe?), it should work. You need to remove [METAL_PREF] from the dwarves to prevent them making everything out of adamantine, and it might take away your ability to make steel. You'd also need to make a new [DEEP] material, or the HFS won't have anywhere to live. Up to you what that material is, and it could even be something generally useless.

One more suggestion: multiply the size of all non-domestic animals by 10, double their cluster numbers, then embark in an undead biome, since undead animals are always aggressive without the spawn limit. Zombie groundhogs will be as large as whales. Zombie sturgeon will blot out the sun. Skeletal Elk will fill your nightmares.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10