Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Spontaneous Combustion  (Read 2338 times)

Icarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spontaneous Combustion
« on: April 02, 2009, 02:25:00 pm »

First post:
During Year 5 of my needlessly complicated fortress I was moving goods to trade with the Humans when I see one of my haulers run by the trade depot with his ass on fire making a beeline for the entrance of the fort. Quickly I forbid passage on all the entrances and let him burn to death but looking around, I saw no forest fires or any fires at all. There is no magma on the map so I have no idea why my hauler would suddenly burst into flames. Any help?
Also, does smoke have negative effects?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Spontaneous Combustion
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 02:38:05 pm »

Hmmm, your map could have a underground source of magma, this can cause fire imps to spawn on the map aswell, sometimes on the surface, though this is rather rare, try digging around a bit.

Apart from that, i don't know what could possibly have cause that, maybe he was a legendary stripper and his legendary ass was too hot for his clothes?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 02:38:57 pm »

Do you know for fact that there is no magma, or have you just not found any? Is it possible that you have a tunnel going near a magma vent (not necessarily so close that the walls are hot), and a fire snake spawned into the tunnel? They can spawn some squares outside the magma, so I guess that would be one posibility.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 02:42:42 pm »

Hmmm, your map could have a underground source of magma, this can cause fire imps to spawn on the map aswell, sometimes on the surface, though this is rather rare, try digging around a bit.

Apart from that, i don't know what could possibly have cause that, maybe he was a legendary stripper and his legendary ass was too hot for his clothes?

Urist 'Fabio' McDwarf cancels Store Item in Bin: Too sexy for his shirt, so sexy it hurts.

Icarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 02:47:06 pm »

No, I embarked on this map with NO to both magma pipes and pools. Now there's a forest fire and my dwarven liaison is trying to follow my trader back to the fort.
Can warm walls set fire to things?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 02:49:37 pm »

Urist 'Fabio' McDwarf cancels Store Item in Bin: Too sexy for his shirt, so sexy it hurts.

Urist 'Fabio' McDwarf Dance on Catwalk

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 02:52:40 pm »

Humans don't trade fire snakes, but wasn't there some bug making leather boil/explode?
Do you know what he was hauling?
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Icarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 03:05:49 pm »

My hauler was running towards the depot, towards the fort so I don't think it was something at the depot. He was on fire well before reaching it.
Also, I set a small booze stockpile outside so it would explode because I have over 1k drinks.
Fun.

LordChess

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 03:15:11 pm »

What is the highest temperature of the biomes composing your fort? It is possible, though quite unlikely since it requires editing the temperature limits during worldgen, that some tiles in your map are that hot enough to combust anything in them.

Pretty unlikely, though...

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 04:06:50 pm »

"Wait, don't go over th-" !!whoosh!!

I just like the idea that certain areas of your world can get so hot things burst into flames.  I may have to do some modding.
What kinda temperature range should I be looking for, and do you think there's a way to make it a somewhat survivable world?
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Icarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 04:09:50 pm »

Another forest fire. This time I caught it just when it started. It was generated on a grassy tile near my outer wall defense. I don't know what caused it. There is nothing underneath it because I have most of the area mined out.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 05:14:25 pm »

Armageddon. Your world is being purified by fire.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 07:09:33 pm »

The answer is obvious.  Armok took up smoking, and your fortress has been designated his ashtray.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Icarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 07:19:40 pm »

Update:
All of my legendaries and my first 7 dwarves are all dead. My novice woodcutter died from bleeding to death (wasn't on fire), then everyone made a mad dash for his corpse and I mean EVERYONE. Only my pump operators who just pumped and nothing else. Since I didn't think he was on fire, I didn't see any cause for alarm but for some reason his corpse decided to ignite into flames leaving me with about 20 messages of
X has died in the heat
The burning dwarves (nice band name) that somehow found a way into my main fort proceeded to go directly to one of my largest booze stockpiles while 30% of my workforce paused to drink and take a break at the same time.
There were about 90 barrels in the first stockpile.
And for some reason someone's cat got killed by a drawbridge, which is odd.
An elven caravan just showed up and if my prediction is right, a goblin siege is right behind them.
I love this game so much.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 07:21:12 pm »

That sounds like a fun map. No mods, vanilla DF? Regular world-gen, or tweaked settings? Inquiring minds want to know.

Want to know how they can get spontaneous fires outside, that is.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: [1] 2 3