Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Showering those little buggers  (Read 1458 times)

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Showering those little buggers
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 12:37:41 pm »

They'll go to their own rooms to heal unless they don't have one.
Hopefully within the next update or so Toady will fix how stupid burning dwarves are.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 02:34:34 pm »

I'll try a pool in the access hall to the living quarters then. Who knows, maybe that stuff proves useful and I'll have it in all my fortresses from then on.

Nicpon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 01:10:26 pm »

What about real shower?

Water falling from above, and floor grates below.
 Will dorfls route through falling water?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 03:32:21 pm »

Yes and no. I bet it's a CPU nightmare. I bet you can heat small rooms in siberia through the winter months with a Pentium D and a waterfall shower.

I bet whenever you have 4/7 (or greater) blocks of water falling (which will happen every once in a while, probably), the dwarves that had their paths routed through that tile will repath.

And since the most useful position for that system is a central access to the living quarters, it will happen A LOT.

Now if you build a secluded (and therefore a lot less useful) shower, with a lever in it to release the water, it will be a lot less taxing on the CPU. But you have to assign the lever to a dwarf you wanna shower and make that dwarf pull the lever.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 03:55:02 pm »

make that dwarf pull the lever.
Add a lever to a floor hatch below the drain, and PREST-O CHANGE-O!!  Instant Noble disposal unit!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 05:24:51 pm »

I had read something about putting perpetual-pump waterfalls at both ends of your hallway, apparently using a bath requires 7/7 standing water to clean/extinguish, but falling water doesn't have an amount/'depth'  requirement?   If standing in rain can sluice Eu de Goblin off, maybe it's the falling that's important rather than the amount, since rain can't even solidify magma...?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 10:54:24 am »

That much is true - I've witnessed it myself.  No sense of urgency or self-preservation.  No awareness of the fire at all, it seems.

Whether or not a shower would put out that fire (in the current version) remains to be answered conclusively.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 06:42:17 pm »

In theory, would it be a good idea to have a "lockdown" system for dwarves on fire?

As in pull a lever, lock off the section he's in, pull another, flood it with water, pull a third DRAIN the water before the dwarf drowns and pull the first again, opening up so the (extinguished) dwarf will be hauled to bed?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 07:41:12 pm »

my latest foray into waterfall design resulted in a system where i can have a dwarf repeatedly submerged in 7/7 water, but doing so merely covered them with water and did not remove mud/vomit/blood. Sadness, because I thought you could 'wash' dwarves given the right setup.

My thing however only covers them in water for a fraction of a second, so I guess that could be the issue, but duration-of-submersion doesn't seem like something the game would take into account.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 08:05:40 pm »

I'm wondering if I should just set up a fast response levar team (four legenday peasants in a control room with booze and food to last) and just run bridge drops over critical areas of the fort (HFS breech, since I pre-confirmed SoFties, and entry near open magma for when I start industrial area construction.
Pages: 1 [2]