Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Showering those little buggers  (Read 1459 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Showering those little buggers
« on: April 01, 2009, 10:48:45 am »

I've done a quick search, but it wasnt that satisfactory. Help me to find some answers and bust some myths.

First of all: is there any use in "showering" your dwarves? Can you clean them, ie, get rid of blood/vomit/whatever? Can you extinguish them or any burning stuff they are wearing/carrying?

If yes, what works? Can you make them stand beneath waterfalls? Can you make them just pass through waterfalls by placing some on well frequented spots?

Or do you need to get them into a 3/7 pool of water?

And finally, what would be a cool way to do it, assuming it makes sense? the simplest solution would be to place the design in a major pathway. But how would you do it with style?

Can you just provide a 3/7 pool and dwarves actually USE it when the need arises, but I just didnt notice it so far?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Showering those little buggers
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 11:17:07 am »

I've been toying with this, due to uncovering my magma pipe last night. Maybe sticking a pump into the main corridor or something.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 11:28:44 am »

i suppose you could divert a major path into a channel filled with 3/7 water, forcing the dwarves to go through it.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 12:18:18 pm »

I have a waterfall set up over the entrance of one of my fortresses. It doesn't seem to "clean" them. vomit and blood must be some greasy stuff it doesn't seen water to be water soluble.

Soap is in the game... does it help?

You could try a statue garden with sufficient drainage and a water source falling/flowing into it.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 12:31:00 pm »

I was thinking about the statue garden too. It would be an area in which dwarves hang around enough (actually a bit too much), and it would have style like a roman bath, probably including the regular clusterfuck.

But if it doesnt do ANYTHING apart from create the usual happy thought I'm not sure if i want to bother.

How about fire? does it help with burning stuff? Because I guess a burning dwarf would go for his quarters, because of the injuries, and not to the statue guarden, which could save him. I guess.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 12:39:44 pm »

I'm a bit of a meta-gamer that being said i've been considering a showering system using pressure plates at the entrance to living quarters.

I think to be successful you would need to design your living quarters in sections so that a single shower unit could serve a several dwarves.

It goes with out saying you'd need systems for draining and an emergency shut off. I'd expect having two cisterns would be a good idea, one low volume (say, 3/7) feeding the showers and one high volume cistern feeding the low volume one.

Bonus points if you organize it out for gender specific showers.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 12:49:15 pm »

The most simple way would be a "pool" in one of the hallways, with a reservoir like the irrigation thing on the wiki, but calculated to fill the pool to 3/7 instead of 1/7. Minor refilling can be done by the bucket brigade, imho. Zero stylepoints, but the most efficient, least CPU intensive and simplest solution.

You might detest "simple" but we all know how quick a fortress gets out of hand and in the end everything is so convoluted its not even funny anymore :D

I think I would just build a pool in a central crossing that leads to all the living quarters, with floors around it, so it just looks like... decoration. when the need arises, or just because I like it, I could designate the floor as restricted traffic areas, forcing the dwarves to path through the water...

I think thats a nice mixture between efficiency and style ... but the questions actually remain... is there ANY ingame use for this?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 04:39:57 pm »

Well, if you wanted showers in the housing without having full on water flow through the place you could use two z levels above it.
z+1 would just have single tile pits over a hatch hooked up to the pressure plate.
z+2 would go above all those pits and also connect to some water source (via pump for quickest on/off control?) with a pressure plate for water at the back that shuts off in-flow at a pretty low water level.

When any of the showers go off the dwarf gets 7 tiles of water plus whatever else falls through from z+2 before the hatch closes again. Once the little showers use up enough water the pressure plate would open the source up for some refilling but you'd never get large volumes of water going through here very fast. Grates next to every pressure plate would take care of enough water that the rest should evaporate and if your houses were above something like your dining room or statue garden or whatnot you'd be able to really mist-up the place, which as I understand is all the dwarves really care about waterfall-wise. Kinda gross that it would be used shower-water, or perhaps more dwarvenly?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 06:37:46 pm »

On the topic of the pool, you could just put it in some bottleneck that everyone needs to pass through. Calculate the number of tiles such that 7/7 turns into 4/7 once the entire pool is filled up.

Bonus points if the pool is large enough that it is your main entrance, so you could send your axedwarves out to meet the green tide, turning the pool red in the process.  ;D

And to keep the water in the pool, just drop it down 1 Z level. Use ramps on either side of it, so anyone entering your fort must wade through it.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 07:12:27 pm »

is it really a dwarven fortress if the occupants aren't covered from head to toe in blood, mud and vomit?

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 08:20:05 pm »

On the topic of the pool, you could just put it in some bottleneck that everyone needs to pass through. Calculate the number of tiles such that 7/7 turns into 4/7 once the entire pool is filled up.

Bonus points if the pool is large enough that it is your main entrance, so you could send your axedwarves out to meet the green tide, turning the pool red in the process.  ;D

And to keep the water in the pool, just drop it down 1 Z level. Use ramps on either side of it, so anyone entering your fort must wade through it.

Is the green tide goblins, or the sea of vomit that results from cleaning up the goblins?

goudegamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 10:18:42 pm »

I'm fairly sure I read once that washing dwarves only adds a coating of water, and doesn't clean anything. But I may be wrong.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 12:03:36 am »

It cleaned my dwarves, added a water covering to everything, got rid of blood/vomit/mud.
Though I will note, it was 7/7 water, not 4/7.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 03:57:36 am »

I can't remembe where, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that being out in the rain can wash blood/mud etc off them. It gives them unhappy thoughts too though.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 10:44:40 am »

Alright, chickitout

Wiki page about fire

It's probably outdated, but I believe the thing I'm getting at is still true: It says a dwarf on fire will usually head for the barracks to rest and heal his injuries.

That's what I assumed and that's why I originally talked about a central crossing in the living area, which everybody has to pass. If bein on !!fire!! creates a high priority "omg I'm tired job" and makes every !!dwarf!! path home it's the way to go. IF (and that's a big if) 4/7 water extinguishes fire. I think an airlock system that showers automatically would slow down general pathing to much. Unless I build 20 of them next to each other, like a big toll station. But I guess it would be rather tricky to get down, actually, an airlock style shower in a major pathway, no matter how its built, sounds like a CPU cycle eating night terror to me. Also, I'm not sure whether constant short time drowning before going to bed makes dwarves sadish or not. I know I wouldnt like it.

Now here comes the "unless!". I feel kinda stupid for all those basic questions, but this is stuff I never bothered to check.
First of all I play with "zero rent" but I tend to leave the economy on. I assume a dwarf always will prefer to get his own room, rather than live in the barracks. Right? Now, a dwarf that is injured and has his own quarters ... will he rest in his own room or in the barracks? Because if I only use my barracks as a "hospital", the question where to put the airlock shower is easy. Or the pool. Airlock shower just in case the pool wouldnt work. And if injured dwarves go to their own rooms rather than to the barracks, the airlock shower is out again, anyway.

What's the deal with burning dwarves anyway? They will never try to intenionally put the flames on themselves out, even if they had a 3/7 - 7/7 pool with a stair to get out, right?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:50:42 am by Puck »
Pages: [1] 2