Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: MIT Developing first DF capable CPUs  (Read 3402 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: MIT Developing first DF capable CPUs
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 03:38:43 pm »

It definitely is not. The relationship between Floating Points Per Second, or FLOPS, and the number of possible Dwarves is much more strongly correlated. My 3 gigahertz AMD Phenom II can handle a 200 pop fort with around 50 to 100 frames per second depending on the amount of activity, even though it's technically slower in frequency tan Maggarg's.
But do you have a leaky waterfall, awfully designed 2-tile wide corridors and 200 animals?
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 06:55:12 pm »

That map had an underground river, so yes, Waterfall. Completely undesignated 3 tile wide hallways, and a chasm full of god knows what. I did periodically slaughter the puppies and kittens, though.
!!&!!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 10:49:36 am »

That map had an underground river, so yes, Waterfall. Completely undesignated 3 tile wide hallways, and a chasm full of god knows what. I did periodically slaughter the puppies and kittens, though.
Ah, but I built my waterfall.
It had to go wrong.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 07:18:40 am »

multithreading is what windows pretended to do before multicoreCPUs and Vista: running multiple processes in parallel.
True multi threading requires multiple cpu's or cpu cores, otherwise the supposedly simultaneous threads will have to wait in a cue to being processed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multithreading
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/multithreading.html

The cue can be observed during startup under winXp (or earlier) on a machine with many background programmes slated to be loaded on startup: the machine will appear to be booted up, but will refuse to acknowledge most user inputs untill the entire cue has loaded.
(some processes can be assigned a higher priority though)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:31:23 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 12:04:21 am »

I'm glad to hear they're trying something besides jamming more and more cores into cpu. I don't want to have to say icosacore.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.
Pages: 1 [2]