Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preventing water from evaporating?  (Read 1405 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Preventing water from evaporating?
« on: March 28, 2009, 12:02:42 pm »

Is there way to prevent tiles with water depth of "1" from drying? Or to make water flow faster? Or making it rain much more (i.e. nonstop) (I would do anything to ofend gods of sky :) ... I'd even take mods :)

I am asking, because i foolishly surrounded my fortress with gigantic moat and attempted to fill it by channels from nearby pools. It backfired as water filling moat was evaporating faster than it was flowing from pools and now i am sitting on map with next to no water except few 2x2-ish spots; even if rain fills pools with 1 or 2 depth of water it dries up enventually.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Preventing water from evaporating?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 12:29:20 pm »

Wait until it starts raining then save the game, go into the init options, and turn off weather.
It will rain forever. :D

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 12:31:31 pm »

Didn't know that Smew :o
But generally the only thing you should try and do with a pool is a cistern on a lot of z-levels.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 12:44:41 pm »

Sadly, I found it out in my 200 dwarf fort, after one murky pool started flooding my forge area, I realized: "... How long has it been raining?"

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 03:10:48 pm »

Thanks for tip, but I tried it and it did not work ... (saved game when it was raining, exit, change data.txt in data\init to WEATHER line to NO, load, sky cleared :-/ )

Maybe it was "bug" you experienced in another version and it was "fixed"?

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 03:14:40 pm »

I have seen odd weather behavior in 40d I have not tried to make it rain forever but I do know when you turn the weather back on it takes up to a season to reset it and start raining again
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 04:00:16 pm »

Nah, it was in 40d, maybe it was just a few seasons worth of rain, and it stopped right after I turned weather back on, who knows?

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 04:18:46 pm »

this will take quite some time and effort, but it's the only way I can think of to fix this issue (well besides cheating, if you really want to I think one of the 'tweaking' utilities might let you make water appear, although you'd have to load up your save in an earlier version of DF cause most of the utilities dont work in the current versions).

here's a doodle of your setup (probably innacurate but the gist is all that matters)

your moat, connected to a few pools.

1. build some floodgates or raising bridges (red lines) to seal the murky pools back off from the moat (a raising bridge becomes a wall in on the side it raises on)
2. let the pools fill back up to full/nearly full.
3. build several raising bridges in your moat itself (grey lines) to divide it into a bunch of bite-sized sections, each only about as big as a murky pool
4. open the gate connecting a murky pool to bite size section #1. now you have ~3/7 water across both these areas
5. let this new area fill back up to full
6. open section #2
7. let water fill up
8. repeat until the whole moat is filled

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 05:46:14 pm »

4. open the gate connecting a murky pool to bite size section #1. now you have ~3/7 water across both these areas
Will water @ 3/7 or greater not evaporate? Is that a threshold or something, that it needs to be "drained" instead of let alone?

What if you're in a "hot" environment - does that have an effect on pools or wet moats?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 05:54:33 pm »

Water at depth 2/7 and higher will not evaporate, only water at depth 1/7. But you do bring up a good point about hot environments, since murky pools will have their water dry up in hot environments.

I'd still recommend using AncientEnemy's setup, but using bucket brigades to fill up sections every time you get the announcement "It has started raining." and just totally blocking off the murky pools.

Fortunately, the evaporation of ponds in hot environments is solely limited to murky pools; your moat will not be affected.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 05:56:18 pm »

Will water @ 3/7 or greater not evaporate? Is that a threshold or something, that it needs to be "drained" instead of let alone?

What if you're in a "hot" environment - does that have an effect on pools or wet moats?

Only 1/7 will evaporate, and in a hot environment, water vapourizes, apparently, I've been on a few maps that seems "hot" and water likes to disappear from open pools, even when full, and grass turn dry. Don't gets much rain on those maps either, so I can't really say much past that.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 09:43:31 am »

this will take quite some time and effort, but it's the only way I can think of to fix this issue (well besides cheating, if you really want to I think one of the 'tweaking' utilities might let you make water appear, although you'd have to load up your save in an earlier version of DF cause most of the utilities dont work in the current versions).

here's a doodle of your setup (probably innacurate but the gist is all that matters)

your moat, connected to a few pools.

1. build some floodgates or raising bridges (red lines) to seal the murky pools back off from the moat (a raising bridge becomes a wall in on the side it raises on)
2. let the pools fill back up to full/nearly full.
3. build several raising bridges in your moat itself (grey lines) to divide it into a bunch of bite-sized sections, each only about as big as a murky pool
6. open section #2
7. let water fill up
8. repeat until the whole moat is filled

It took some time, but it worked :)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 10:06:42 am »

You gotta be kidding me, that's some zen like patience  ;D How long did it take you?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 02:57:56 am »

12 years of ingame time or so. I spent most of it AFK with Dwarves being busy planting traps just about everywhere and building wall for above ground sections of fortress.