Author Topic: Limb!  (Read 1229 times)

Wiseacre

• Bay Watcher
  • Licker of rogues
    • View Profile
Limb!
« on: March 24, 2009, 04:36:42 am »

Hello.

I was just wondering what was the easiest way to give my dwarves (Or orcs for that matter) a third limb? Oh, and does Multigrasping a weapon actually do anything?
Doing youtube stuff now, check me out!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0H15QEUIeG-GyFQY1Mu72Q

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
Re: Limb!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 04:58:37 am »

A third limb? o.O
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Wiseacre

• Bay Watcher
  • Licker of rogues
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 05:21:07 am »

Not that limb. I was moreso wondering if one hand could hold a shield while using a crossbow with a free hand to grab bolts, or if multigrasp actually does anything, using a weapon two handed while having a shield.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 07:06:46 am »

They can wield multiple shields, however they attack only with 1, so no double-strikes are possible.

The easiest way to add a third limb is to... add it.
Just make a bodypart with the same parameters as a usual arm and write it in their creature file.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 12:11:45 pm »

Wait... Does that mean a creature with 6 arms can wield 6 different swords at the same time? :o

Me thinks that me has an idea.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 01:44:21 pm »

You can wield six swords at one time, but you'll only strike with one of them (except under very rare circumstances).  A more likely combination would be a sword and five shields.

I have no idea if multigrasping does anything, and I believe it's already possible to wield a crossbow and a shield simultaneously (at least in adventure mode).  I'm not sure what would be the repercussions of adding an extra limb to a fort mode race, since there might be some inflexibilities in the equipment assigning doohicky-shwang.  And as we all know, an inflexibile doohicky-shwang can lead to serious problems.

However, this is (or at least was) a very scientific community.  As such, I encourage you to try it out and post your results!

Yaaga

• Bay Watcher
  • "Mou... Yui-Senpai... Stop teasing me!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 02:18:29 pm »

Bah, I do crap like this all the time! My current dwarven body is dwarfinoid (Same as humanoid, cept with a set of lower/upper arms and rear/forward legs, making the limb counts there six arms/hands and six legs/feet.

This seems to have caused a glitch, as my arms then are able to graps extra sheilds and my adventurers end up with 17 shields on... making his effective movements speed about a hundered, despite his speed value of 1... what adding one limb will do, I have no clue. Gl though!
Minister of Luck - I directly affect everything in an indirect way that may or may not amount to anything! Yay me!

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 02:30:41 pm »

dwarves with a crossbow will wield a shield as well. I know cause I always equip them with shields ^_^
Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

Wiseacre

• Bay Watcher
  • Licker of rogues
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 04:27:14 pm »

But if they have shields will they go for the second stack of bolts in the quiver, or rush off into the melee? Also, can someone please show me what I would have to add to dwarves in the Creature standard to add tht third limb in? Not so good at that.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 04:36:26 pm »

An infinite number of items can be held in one hand.  How?  No modding required; just put the desired items in a backpack, and remove them from the pack (r not d).  I did this with a one handed adventurer once, just with a sword and shield.  I thought about taking it further, though.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Wiseacre

• Bay Watcher
  • Licker of rogues
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 05:00:24 pm »

Now is that just in adventure mode? Because I mostly play Fortress mode.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 05:32:49 pm »

Now is that just in adventure mode? Because I mostly play Fortress mode.
It's mostly an adventure mode feature bug, but it can come up in Fortress mode too.  The latter takes more effort and chance.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 05:46:58 pm »

I think I had 20-some shields in one hand for a couple adventurers.  If you hold multiple shields at the ready, an attack will have to make a check against each shield until it either gets stopped by one or miraculously manages to bypass every one of them.  Considering the already-high protection value provided by a shield, the multi-shield technique is an incredibly powerful defense mechanism that very few things can do anything about.'

However, it's a major pain to set up properly.  And it's also very tiresome to walk around with that many shields on your arm, let alone fight with so many.

But there's some joy to be had in the thought of your little adventurer composing one of those Roman shield formations all by himself.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 08:02:42 pm »

hmm.... A dwarf that (by some mutation) was born with a hundred arms...

SPEAR FORMATION, Urist McArms!

or, when defending a hallway...

SHIELDS UP, Urist McArms!

when hunting...

FIRE CROSSBOWS!!!  :o

does having a hundred arms mean you can carry a hundred quivers?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Yaaga

• Bay Watcher
  • "Mou... Yui-Senpai... Stop teasing me!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 08:20:39 pm »

Yes, yes it does. Can you afford to FILL 100 quivers? I think not :P
Minister of Luck - I directly affect everything in an indirect way that may or may not amount to anything! Yay me!
Pages: [1] 2