Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rock.  (Read 2441 times)

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: Rock.
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 03:09:49 pm »

Actually, I tell a lie.  It wasn't just with body parts that I've had save trouble.  Once during an upgrade I left out a weapon - couldn't open the save.  Another time I left out a stone - again, couldn't open the save.

By stone do you mean ore or just rock? 'cos if it's an ore, that's understandable, it's got all the reactions etc. to calculate. Much more complex than just normal rocks
Same thing goes for weapons as for limbs. Complex :o
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 04:30:50 pm »

The product of a reaction can exist without the reactant.  If an item tag in a reaction does not exist, it ignores that line of the reaction.  And ore reactions are based on the [ORE] tag in the rock's file, so if that tag is removed the stone is no longer an ore and therefore no longer has any reactions dependent on it.  Yes, it was an ore, but no, removing the tag that makes a stone an ore doesn't break old saves either; I switch mica's data with an ore once, and the save was fine (took all the stuff under the title and switched them; the titles had the same location).

The removal of an entry always breaks the save.  Always.

And weapons aren't that complex.  If stone worked the way you think it did, weapons would instead be replaced with "weapon" rather than breaking the save.  Stones have non-hardcoded data, just like weapons.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 06:41:04 pm »

The product of a reaction can exist without the reactant.  If an item tag in a reaction does not exist, it ignores that line of the reaction.  And ore reactions are based on the [ORE] tag in the rock's file, so if that tag is removed the stone is no longer an ore and therefore no longer has any reactions dependent on it.  Yes, it was an ore, but no, removing the tag that makes a stone an ore doesn't break old saves either; I switch mica's data with an ore once, and the save was fine (took all the stuff under the title and switched them; the titles had the same location).

The removal of an entry always breaks the save.  Always.

And weapons aren't that complex.  If stone worked the way you think it did, weapons would instead be replaced with "weapon" rather than breaking the save.  Stones have non-hardcoded data, just like weapons.

Both under the same title in the same location? As in, it could have been reading either of them? I don't quite understand what you're saying.
Weapons are complex, each civ entity has to have each tag for every weapon to allow them to wield it. Without the weapon there, the tag relates to nothing, therefore breaking the save. Bog-standard rocks don't get tagged for use by civilisations  :P
And i can tell stones have soft-coded data, that's why i was looking at their colours, symbols etc. in the raws.
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 06:54:13 pm »

I mean:
[MATGLOSS_STONE:MICA]
    [(data for other stone)]

Weapons are complex, each civ entity has to have each tag for every weapon to allow them to wield it. Without the weapon there, the tag relates to nothing, therefore breaking the save. Bog-standard rocks don't get tagged for use by civilisations  :P
And i can tell stones have soft-coded data, that's why i was looking at their colours, symbols etc. in the raws.
No, that is not how it works.  As stated before, tags that do not relate to anything are ignored.  I've messed around with stuff like that in reactions before, which are one of the most complicated things in DF - more so than weapons.

I just tried removing blowguns (which are not used by any civs in my game) and loading a game and got the message:  MISSING WEAPON DEFINITION: BLOWGUN.  The program then closed itself.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 06:59:46 pm »

I'm sure there would still be a blowgun somewhere on the world though, with it's specific damage, weight, etc.
Rocks all have equal weight etc, only difference is colour and layer they occur in.
If i was the game, and i had to pick one to be placeholded, i know which one i'd pick ^^

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 07:04:12 pm »

You're thinking like a person, not a program.  You have to think like a program.

So now I've taken out petrified wood.  Message:  MISSING STONE GLOSS:PETRIFIED_WOOD.

Is that good enough?
Just so I remember

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 12:41:21 pm »

Don't cry too much :P
Alright then, mr.-I-know-all-about-modding-DF, why has it randomly come up with this placeholder?
Why wouldn't it just fail to load up then?
A similar thing happened when i created a new creature, the cost free 'meat' item showed up on embark screens. I assume these incidents are linked, in a round-a-bout sort of way.
I've noticed this thread has turned into a rant between LegoLord and myself. This amuses me :)

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 01:15:56 pm »

why has it randomly come up with this placeholder?
Because the game couldn't find rock for the layers it was placing; the OP modded out all the stones except obsidian.

I had problems with the dreaded nullstone back when I was making my simplicity mod (which ended up getting far more complicated than it needed to be).  The fun thing is that you can make invisible things out of it.  The un-fun thing is that it weighs a ridiculous amount (this would be fun if you could drop stuff on enemies, but things don't quite work like that yet).

And yeah, it's just the game trying to create a hardcoded layer type when it doesn't have any types of stone that match that layer.  You don't even have to create duplicate entries, just slap all the stone layer types on obsidian and you'll be fine.

The simplicity mod works just fine with stone, sand and dirt.

It's probably hardcodedly attempting to put down a sedimentary layer and not finding any suitable rocks.  Try putting in duplicate obsidian entries with different occurence types (there's six of them, I think).
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 01:22:13 pm »

Because the game couldn't find rock for the layers it was placing; the OP modded out all the stones except obsidian.

My point exactly. I think i may have mis-read the firstpost at first glance, thinking that by 'modding-out' it meant 'pimping-out'.

Another time I left out a stone - again, couldn't open the save.

Although, according to LegoLord, you're wrong, and the game shouldn't load up.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 01:40:45 pm »

My point exactly. I think i may have mis-read the firstpost at first glance, thinking that by 'modding-out' it meant 'pimping-out'.

Another time I left out a stone - again, couldn't open the save.

Although, according to LegoLord, you're wrong, and the game shouldn't load up.

No.

Legolord is talking about modifying the RAWs with an already generated world. I am not.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 03:37:55 pm »

Yeah.  The placeholder stone only appears when generating a new world when the stone necessary does not exist.  If you don't gen a new world after that, you have no worlds you can play.

How much modding have you done doctorspoof, out of curiosity?
Just so I remember

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 05:26:29 pm »

I apologise, i thought you were talking about the same thing.

And i've made a few new creatures, new civilization, new materials, new weapons, etc.
Does it matter?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 05:31:29 pm »

No, just wondering . . .
[. . .] mr.-I-know-all-about-modding-DF, [. . .]
(see sig)

Not everything, but in that mod's development, I have encountered many bugs and problems - most before its release.  Some of which relate somewhat to the thread's problem.
Just so I remember

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 05:36:44 pm »

*slaps on wrist*

:P

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 05:46:34 pm »

Just so I remember
Pages: 1 [2] 3