Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: "Sneaking" PC games.  (Read 8544 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: "Sneaking" PC games.
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 03:40:11 pm »

Crysis has a nice stealth element.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 03:42:06 pm »

Well, Hammer & Sickle can be played very sneakily. But most people hate that game for some reason, I guess it's too hardcore for them.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 04:19:24 pm »

OP said "dont mentiont thief series and deus ex, cause I've played em up and down"

So I go ahead and mention everything else, which the op apparently also had played already, but didnt thought it was worth pointing out  ;D

And then comes the crowd that mentions thief and deus ex ... again  ;D

Have you tried Thief or Dues Ex?

Lawls.

Anyway, not sneaky for the most part of Fallout and Fallout 2 are beatable without shooting people, except in random encounters.

Also, Rainbow 6 is a pretty good sneak around and kill people. I recommend the first 3.

Not a FPS but Commands has tons of sneaky elements.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 04:49:08 pm »

Hitman series.  Newest three, to be exact.  First one didn't need too much stealth.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 09:39:25 pm »

Well, Hammer & Sickle can be played very sneakily. But most people hate that game for some reason, I guess it's too hardcore for them.
I can never find that game. Does it basically play the same as Silent Storm? Because the stealth in that game allowed for some awesome battles. Love having a stealth guy spot for a sniper who then scores a headshot thru two walls. It got to the point where I would skulk around for like 30 minutes getting my crew in the bushes outside a building I was going to take over, wiring explosives to the doors/windows, setting up a machine gun in front of the main entrance, having a ninja take out sentries and shit. Then the actual fight lasts about 5 turns as these poor nazi bastards are just slaughtered.

Also, you can effectively Rambo in this game. Man, is there multiplayer? There should be multiplayer.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 09:45:46 pm »

It's like Silent Storm but much harder and more strict, the first two missions are too much for some people. I would recommend finding a torrent as it is really hard to find and you may not agree with it in the end.

Ramboing is really hard too as weapon damage is around 2-3x higher and moving around costs more.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 11:11:05 pm »

I think Fallout 1 and 2 let you go all stealthy. Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 all let you do it to different extents, though not very well. Postal 2 allows you to go through the whole game without killing anyone, but is definitely not designed for stealth.

Battlefield 2142 had a temporary cloaking device the scout class could unlock that let you play the game stealthily. It's a multiplayer only FPS though.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 11:13:33 pm »

I think Fallout 1 lets you go all stealthy. Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 all let you do it to different extents, though fallout 3 does it the best. Postal 2 allows you to go through the whole game without killing anyone, but is kinda boring that way.

Battlefield 2142 had a temporary cloaking device the scout class could unlock that let you play the game stealthily. It's a multiplayer only FPS though, so it's not really that useful.

Fixed.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 11:19:34 pm »

Fixed.
Yeah, pretty much. There aren't many well done stealth systems in games, especially games that don't revolve around stealth.

I think all the good systems are already stated, now we're left with Assassin's Creed and Spore.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:23:54 pm by Leonon »

chewd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 02:40:04 am »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 02:08:57 pm »

Nobody remembers "The Sting!"?

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/sting/index.html

I've played that one, and the first one in the series called The Clue!, which was pretty much the record/playback same mechanics but a lot less cartooney.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 08:15:29 pm »

It's like Silent Storm but much harder and more strict, the first two missions are too much for some people. I would recommend finding a torrent as it is really hard to find and you may not agree with it in the end.

Ramboing is really hard too as weapon damage is around 2-3x higher and moving around costs more.

It's buggy as hell too... the whole series is...  Wonderful games but they just never get around to telling you what you're supposed to be doing or why.  It's especially onerous when your mission critical events don't fire

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 08:25:24 pm »

It's buggy as hell too... the whole series is...  Wonderful games but they just never get around to telling you what you're supposed to be doing or why.  It's especially onerous when your mission critical events don't fire

I have seen no bugs so far actually... And S2 hardly requires you to even know what you're doing.

Hammer and Sickle though I can see people having problems. But a little investigation will show you the way.

Honestly, it's not that hard to figure out.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 02:42:10 pm »

I have seen no bugs so far actually... And S2 hardly requires you to even know what you're doing.

Hammer and Sickle though I can see people having problems. But a little investigation will show you the way.

Honestly, it's not that hard to figure out.
H&S isn't just hard, it's plain unfair.

Take the start of the game after you've sneaked through the border, for example. You're standing there 4 meters in front of a firing squad and their officer has spotted you, so you can't sneak around them and running away most often results in you getting shot by one of the rifles and too paralyzed to run away further. Your only chance is a grenade (being a scout, the class that would appear to make sense for the role of "spy", you only possess one) paralyzing them and that may also fail in paralyzing all of them.

The implausability of this situation is astounding as well. Why the fuck would your guy walk up to that firing squad? Why don't you start the map like at least 100 meters away from them? You're supposed to be a spy. You're controlling the worst spy in fictional history. Worse than James "here's my real name" Bond.

I trudged in save/load fashion through about 3 such scenarios and said fuck that. This is coming from someone who breezed through S2 (without using the panzerkleins) and loved it.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 02:45:52 pm »

Oh, and NightWatch was made with the same engine, just FYI
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4