Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ore -> Metal Mapping  (Read 2422 times)

jakeb89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ore -> Metal Mapping
« on: February 18, 2009, 09:26:43 pm »

Jake has entered a fey mood.  Jake mutters "Ore to Metal Mapping"...

Hey, I've been working on this mapping for my own personal benefit, and I thought you guys might find it useful.  I apologize for the sometimes hard-to-follow arrows.  Please let me know if you find anything wrong!  I got all the data from Dwarf Fortress Wiki.  Suggestions on how to improve it are much appreciated! :3

Most recent images:

(Old Images)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:51:22 pm by jakeb89 »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Ore -> Metal Mapping
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:44:44 pm »

Good.

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 09:49:13 pm »

Nice chart.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 09:51:43 pm »

Awesome!

I can't find bituminous coal or lignite on yer map, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

jakeb89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 09:54:30 pm »

Awesome!

Ah, thanks! I'll get right on that.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 09:55:30 pm »

Yes.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:30:30 pm »

Nice!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

jakeb89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:31:02 pm »

Awesome!

Ok, added those.  I also did a bit of reorganizing... it's a bit more chaotic now, but I think its actually easier to read in some respects.  See first post for updated image.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 11:56:51 pm »

Very nice and useful. You could also add in the number of bars needed to make the alloys as many need more then one bar of a certain type

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 01:09:34 am »

the colored boxes around fluxes and fuel are great but this new chart has lost the flow from stone to ore to metal to alloy [possibly you could do a colored box for each stone type]
The great game of Warlocks!

jakeb89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 01:59:30 am »

the colored boxes around fluxes and fuel are great but this new chart has lost the flow from stone to ore to metal to alloy [possibly you could do a colored box for each stone type]

I think I've fixed what you were talking about.  Have a look and let me know. : )

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 03:38:49 am »

S'abit twisted on the top half; the bottom half, however, with the Handy Dandy Guide To Stone Layers (Sedimentary, etc.) is useful; if I were you I'd rework it to have those be the core focus, then branch out into the metals per layer-type, rather than try to cross-reference it so you only have each metal listed once.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Hussell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 10:57:16 am »

Galena, not Gelena, and it appears in Metamorphic, Igneous Extrusive, and Granite as well as Limestone. Cassiterite, not Cassitenite, and it appears in Granite as well as Alluvial. Charcoal doesn't become Coke. Other than that, looks correct.

With the flux stones colour coded in the list of layer types, you don't really need the special box as part of the network. Calcite can safely be left off, as far as I'm concerned, since it only appears with layers of flux and has no other use.

There are some alloys which can be made directly from ore. This can be important when tetrahedrite or galena are involved, because the silver in the ore gets used with a 100% success rate. It also saves fuel when you don't have magma. A note on the reactions that can use ore would be good.

In the reactions, you could list the number of output bars as well as input bars. This is really only important for Bituminous Coal and Lignite, but right now the diagram gives the impression that, say, 3 Gold and 1 Copper become 1 Rose Gold.

jakeb89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 01:15:58 pm »

S'abit twisted on the top half; the bottom half, however, with the Handy Dandy Guide To Stone Layers (Sedimentary, etc.) is useful; if I were you I'd rework it to have those be the core focus, then branch out into the metals per layer-type, rather than try to cross-reference it so you only have each metal listed once.

Galena, not Gelena, and it appears in Metamorphic, Igneous Extrusive, and Granite as well as Limestone. Cassiterite, not Cassitenite, and it appears in Granite as well as Alluvial. Charcoal doesn't become Coke. Other than that, looks correct.

With the flux stones colour coded in the list of layer types, you don't really need the special box as part of the network. Calcite can safely be left off, as far as I'm concerned, since it only appears with layers of flux and has no other use.

There are some alloys which can be made directly from ore. This can be important when tetrahedrite or galena are involved, because the silver in the ore gets used with a 100% success rate. It also saves fuel when you don't have magma. A note on the reactions that can use ore would be good.

In the reactions, you could list the number of output bars as well as input bars. This is really only important for Bituminous Coal and Lignite, but right now the diagram gives the impression that, say, 3 Gold and 1 Copper become 1 Rose Gold.

I like that idea of splitting the chart into smaller charts, one for each main layer type.  I'll try that.  I'll also try to go back and make the corrections mentioned.  Not sure how I'll make the ore annotations but I'll figure something out.  As for the "3 Gold + 1 Copper = 1 Rose Gold", that's about how the wiki portrayed it.  Please let me know how this reaction actually works, and the wiki should probably be fixed too.

I don't have access to my laptop at the moment, and by the time I will later tonight, I'll be busy with homework.  I also have some big plans this weekend, so I may not be able to post an updated version until Monday/Tuesday.

Please keep giving feedback!  I'd love to get this to where it's psuedo-professional quality (and correct, of course) so that I can get it printed out on some nice poster paper to hang on my wall.  If this works out nicely, I might make some more mappings for other things in DF, like the general workshop and industry mapping, as well as maybe  stone -> gem mapping.  Maybe even a giant 3x3 grid listing the animals found in each of the 9 alignment combinations.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 04:13:55 pm »

A good idea, I'd been thinking of making something similar a while back but didn't have the time.

A few things, some may have already been noted:

Key needs to go on the image.

The dashed line from tetrahedrite to silver, bring it's connecting point much closer to the tetrahedrite so it loops off rather than cuts back. It at first glance currently looks like the line is coming from the copper.

cassiterite not cassitenite

galena not gelena

Why having limestone and marble as orange? you don't seem to use it for ores as the key would suggest and it looks confusing. I'd suggest making both red at which point you don't need to group all the flux together which may allow you to clean up the crossing lines on the left.

Use red for the flux stone in the steel reaction as it provides an immediate link to the flux stones.

Box around the steel reaction?

For the alloy reactions make explicit all of the quantities. eg for bismuth bronze reaction, 1x bismuth, 2x copper, 1x tin = 4x bismuth bronze. I checked the wiki and I agree it doesn't make it clear that you get a total output of bars equal to the total input of bars.

As previously noted charcoal doesn't turn into coke. I'd suggest merging the two as you have with the steel reaction. Make the combined bubble brown to fit with the usage in the steel reaction and to help make clear that there has been a change from what it was made from in a similar way to the change of colour from ore to metal. Uncertain of what the best way to indicate the quantity of coke formed from bituminous coal and lignite to be, 3x and 2x respectively, perhaps a number on the line?

All in all even as it currently stands this is a good piece of work.

An industry sheet like this or one for gems would be good additions. The animal/alignment might be but it will have limited lifetime as Toady is removing good/evil areas in favour of sphere variations, and as we haven't seen how that will work yet it is unclear how different things will be.

edit: One more thing that would complete this would be to have the other stones that are only found as inclusions in a layer, dependant on how complex the connections are you may want to split that off onto another sheet.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 04:19:36 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: [1] 2