Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ore -> Metal Mapping  (Read 2425 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Ore -> Metal Mapping
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 04:19:49 pm »

Very nice. That'll be a great addition to the Wiki!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 05:12:13 pm »

My hat's off to you, Jake.  This is a fine...thing that you've created here.

jakeb89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 06:26:34 pm »

I've almost finished splitting the map into sections by stone type, other than Alluvial.  Warlord255, you were right, it makes things WAAAAAY easier to read.  I'll post the sectioned-off version once I get a chance to finish it.

The main purpose of this thing is for figuring out what metals can possibly be made given the stone layers in the local map selection screen.  I'm happy to see that its moving towards being even better for this.

A good idea, I'd been thinking of making something similar a while back but didn't have the time.

A few things, some may have already been noted:

Key needs to go on the image.

The dashed line from tetrahedrite to silver, bring it's connecting point much closer to the tetrahedrite so it loops off rather than cuts back. It at first glance currently looks like the line is coming from the copper.

cassiterite not cassitenite

galena not gelena

Why having limestone and marble as orange? you don't seem to use it for ores as the key would suggest and it looks confusing. I'd suggest making both red at which point you don't need to group all the flux together which may allow you to clean up the crossing lines on the left.

Use red for the flux stone in the steel reaction as it provides an immediate link to the flux stones.

Box around the steel reaction?

For the alloy reactions make explicit all of the quantities. eg for bismuth bronze reaction, 1x bismuth, 2x copper, 1x tin = 4x bismuth bronze. I checked the wiki and I agree it doesn't make it clear that you get a total output of bars equal to the total input of bars.

As previously noted charcoal doesn't turn into coke. I'd suggest merging the two as you have with the steel reaction. Make the combined bubble brown to fit with the usage in the steel reaction and to help make clear that there has been a change from what it was made from in a similar way to the change of colour from ore to metal. Uncertain of what the best way to indicate the quantity of coke formed from bituminous coal and lignite to be, 3x and 2x respectively, perhaps a number on the line?

All in all even as it currently stands this is a good piece of work.

An industry sheet like this or one for gems would be good additions. The animal/alignment might be but it will have limited lifetime as Toady is removing good/evil areas in favour of sphere variations, and as we haven't seen how that will work yet it is unclear how different things will be.

edit: One more thing that would complete this would be to have the other stones that are only found as inclusions in a layer, dependant on how complex the connections are you may want to split that off onto another sheet.

I think I've fixed galena, but I'll have to check cassitenite. Limestone and marble are now only orange in the correct places.  It's much easier to tell now what is an entire layer and what only exists within something else.  Dashed lines are easier to follow. Will need to go back and make the steel reaction easier to read... probably going to split it into the pig iron and steel reactions, and just make sure the boxes are next to each other.

Ah, thanks for the heads up on the reactions.  I didn't know exactly how that worked, and the wiki didn't state it explicitly, but now I know.  I'll go back later and add the numbers into the reactions. Dunno what exactly I'm going to do for the fuel production, but I'll try your suggestions and see what looks best.

As it looks now, it may actually be fairly simple to add in the gems to the stone/ore/metal maps, depending on the number of gems and how they are distributed.  I know even less about the gems area since I rarely pursue a gem industry during my fortresses.

Given your news of the animal grid possibly being short-lived, I'll avoid that for now.

For things that are really complex, even a simple table, when formatted and colored appropriately, could be very helpful to a player.  If anything ends up being really complicated, a table should do.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 07:53:32 pm »

There are lots of gems.  LOTS 
It would be better to have a separate table chart for gems and where they appear, as well as some specialty tables for diamonds and rock crystal (and any other specialty gems).  (A rare diamond appears in diamond clusters, and rock crystal is used in the creation of crystal glass).
If I was in to chart making, I'd suggest making a DF manual consisting entirely of charts and diagrams.  I'll suggest it anyways.   ;D

jakeb89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 08:28:23 pm »

There are lots of gems.  LOTS 
It would be better to have a separate table chart for gems and where they appear, as well as some specialty tables for diamonds and rock crystal (and any other specialty gems).  (A rare diamond appears in diamond clusters, and rock crystal is used in the creation of crystal glass).
If I was in to chart making, I'd suggest making a DF manual consisting entirely of charts and diagrams.  I'll suggest it anyways.   ;D

Yeah... I don't really feel like making a giant map if that's what it'd take for gems.  Maybe a table, as you said.

Yay! A dwarf fortress manual would be the best thing ever.  If you consider that it would basically have to be the wiki, but in a book, that thing would be freaking gigantic!\

Also, updated the first post with more current images! :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:39:49 pm by jakeb89 »

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 08:56:07 pm »

Holy crap. You win one internets.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

jakeb89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 09:07:04 pm »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 09:40:52 pm »

Only thing I can see that you've missed on the new one is cassiterite coming from granite.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

jakeb89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 01:53:58 am »

Only thing I can see that you've missed on the new one is cassiterite coming from granite.

Fixed and uploaded. : )  The thumbnail is still old, but the actual image is corrected.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 09:11:36 am »

Holy crap. You win one internet.

Not to be hypocryte or anything :D

Good job, Jake.

Tis shall help many players around the globe!

Arigatou!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 09:28:22 am by IndonesiaWarMinister »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 10:07:40 am »

awesome...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 04:55:04 pm »

Hello!

That is a very nice set of charts indeed. As I sometimes try to help people find sites they want, having such an easy to read overview over the metal and layers relationships is a really handy tool.

One thing I would like to suggest is adding the colors of the metals and stones - I have to admit that metals and stones are for me mostly important concerning their color, and while I have gotten a good hang of the stones at my fortress, I have to admit that I keep losing track of the odder metals.

Thank you for doing all this hard work for us.

Deathworks

jakeb89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 10:41:22 pm »

Hello!

That is a very nice set of charts indeed. As I sometimes try to help people find sites they want, having such an easy to read overview over the metal and layers relationships is a really handy tool.

One thing I would like to suggest is adding the colors of the metals and stones - I have to admit that metals and stones are for me mostly important concerning their color, and while I have gotten a good hang of the stones at my fortress, I have to admit that I keep losing track of the odder metals.

Thank you for doing all this hard work for us.

Deathworks

I'm glad I could be of help. : )

I suppose I could go back and put in a small circle after every item's name but inside its shape to show its color.

Also, after seeing your avatar and such, I can't help but wonder if you'd be interested in the custom race I made.  They are the gwar, a species of diminutive tiger people (gwar are to regular tiger anthros what dwarves are to humans.)  I even made a rather large edit to Mayday's sprite set so that the units are actually tiger-ish. (The spriteset: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/124169/tiger_race.bmp)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 05:53:25 am »

Hello!

Thank you for considering my request and I am sorry about the later reply.

As for your tiger race, the graphics are kind of cute, but I am neither that big on mods nor on graphic sets (I love the default graphics, and as I had to use a graphic set to do a world gen request, I want the graphics to be more harmful to my game experience than anything else), so I am probably not a good target for this. In addition, I am more with domestic cats and cute catgirls, so I am not quite sure whether tigers really fit the bill for me (although I do cheer any cats who slay some hostiles in my fortresses, something I haven't seen since 2D (T_T) ).

Thank you for your consideration, but I am probably not the target audience for that mod. Sorry.

Deathworks
Pages: 1 [2]