Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Has anyone ever made a tower fortress before?  (Read 1786 times)

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has anyone ever made a tower fortress before?
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:30:11 pm »

How did it work?

I heard that you can't build buildings on constructed floors.  Is there a way around this, or are tower fortresses impossible?

PS:  By tower fortress, I mean an entire fortress in a single tower.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone ever made a tower fortress before?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:33:08 pm »

Yes, it's quite common. Especially among the players who made Humans playable.

You cannot build other constructions on floors, but that's only really limited to floors, roads, walls, fortifications, and stairways. Workshops, furniture, stockpiles, and the like all work just fine.

Just make sure you plan things out ahead of time, so you don't build yourself into a corner. Dwarves are quite good at building things in such a way that they trap themselves.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 07:34:46 pm »

I love how someone posted a reply almost word for word identical to mine while I was writing. :P

Awesome.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 07:39:51 pm »

Ok, thanks.

How much support would be needed to prevent it from caving in?  Would 9 pillars going the height of the tower that is around 30x30 be enough?
And can you build stairs out of artificial walls?
Also, how would one go about making an opening in the side of the tower without it collapsing?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:46:32 pm by Umi »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 07:48:44 pm »

Alas, the support system has changed since whatever reference you have received that information from was posted. Unless it was Captain Duck, in which case I have some issues with the accuracy of some of his statements. Still, DF is a game that nobody really understands.

Anyway, as long as a construction is touching another construction/ground tile in the basic up, down, North, South, East, West directions, it won't collapse. Fee free to make a 100x100x100 cube held up by the walls themselves.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:52:54 pm »

I thought there were cave ins.  Oh well, one less thing to worry about.  :P
Thank you for the info.

Is there something that can be built in place of a wall for the sake of dividing the floors up?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 07:54:34 pm »

Roads are buildings, not constructions, and require constructed floors or natural ground to be built.

As for walls,  hit "d" then "z", I believe.  That should allow you to remove constructions that are blocking walls.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 07:58:55 pm »

there are a few things you could try, but they are somewhat resource intensive:

1. Statues. Easy, raises the value of rooms by a considerable amount, but doesn't look terribly good.

2. Grates. Similar problems as the statues, with a fraction of the benefits.

3. Vertical bars. Requires metal bars I think, so that could be an issue.

4. Drawbridges raised. This requires a bit of level-attaching and mechanisims, and nothing can be constructed in the 'footprint' of the lowered bridge.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 08:02:34 pm »

there are a few things you could try, but they are somewhat resource intensive:

1. Statues. Easy, raises the value of rooms by a considerable amount, but doesn't look terribly good.

2. Grates. Similar problems as the statues, with a fraction of the benefits.

3. Vertical bars. Requires metal bars I think, so that could be an issue.

4. Drawbridges raised. This requires a bit of level-attaching and mechanisims, and nothing can be constructed in the 'footprint' of the lowered bridge.
5. remove the constructed floor that's blocking the wall.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 08:05:21 pm »

I thought there were cave ins.  Oh well, one less thing to worry about.  :P
Thank you for the info.

there are cave ins, but an object has to be completely unsupported on all sides (and top and bottom) to collapse.  back in the 2D version, any 7x7 section would cave in.  now, it has to be an area with no support at all.

I'm not sure what types of objects provide support.  I dont know if constructed floors attached to the side of a structure will support it, or if stairs or floodgates will.  i know that any "natural" tile will, and that constructed WALLS or SUPPORTS will hold anything up.  someone else can probably answer this accureatly though.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 08:09:35 pm »

All constructions will provide support.  Supports (a type of building that can be linked to a trigger) will also do this, but only for tiles above and below it.  Bridges do not provide support.  Nothing else I know of will provide support.
Just so I remember

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 08:11:42 pm »

I'll probably divide it with statues then...
Ok, thank you very much for your help.

Can you build a wall on empty space next to a surface?
Like this?

0=wall
_=empty space
#=floor

Before:
##_

After:
##0

Sorry if that is not clear enough...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 08:15:33 pm »

Yes. That's also how you can build floors to separate rooms within the tower, which will function as actual room dividers in a way statues won't.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 08:17:14 pm »

Yes. That's also how you can build floors to separate rooms within the tower, which will function as actual room dividers in a way statues won't.
I thought Statues do.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 08:19:38 pm »

Ok, thanks.  I think that is all I need to know for now unless someone has just general advice.
Thank you to everyone who has helped.  ^_^
Pages: [1] 2 3