Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: 2 year wealth contest  (Read 10774 times)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Re: 2 year wealth contest
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2009, 04:07:04 pm »

I've had to scumsave 3 times into year two and as of spring I've not gotten any immigrants in any of them. And yes, immigrants would be immensely useful.

Our wealth is so low when the first caravan leaves, that I'm not too surprised at no immigrants, and by the time the 2nd comes to see a higher wealth, it leaves little time for them to arrive. How much can you get them to do in one month of winter before the deadline?

Immigrants may come several times per year. You may get some before second autumn.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2009, 04:59:17 pm »

Awesome! I managed to buy an anvil and two picks at the second try...

Now is the time to strike the earth and stop licking it! I hope my dorfs aren't suffering from surface adaptation.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2009, 04:59:38 pm »

I might. The problem is that according to the wiki, immigration is based on wealth at the time of the last dwarven caravan, which is gonna suck until 2nd august. I'm going to make a 2nd run at this challenge after the current one, with lessons learned. There are a bunch of things I would do differently on day one, now that I'm at 2nd summer and see where wealth accelerates.

This is a really interesting challenge for me because I NEVER look at my wealth. I just really don't care in normal games and my focus is primarily on architecture and military, neither of which matter one whit here, so I'm learning a lot. Thanks for organizing it - and I really like the location.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2009, 05:20:04 pm »

explain 1st summer immigration. And yes, it does happen.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2009, 06:32:35 pm »

Clarification:

Does wealth include imported wealth or just created wealth?

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2009, 07:10:21 pm »

Guess I'll set the bar.

I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2009, 07:41:31 pm »

Very, very nice, jplur. I see you did 2 things that I overlooked. And I'm jealous of your population.

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2009, 07:43:05 pm »

Whoa nelly. That's not a bar, that's a space station!

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2009, 08:11:57 pm »

Guess I'll set the bar.

Really great! I will start highscore tab in first post. How much do your artifacts cost?

Determinant is created wealth ... gues I should clarify that in rules. I have actually written rules much more precisely but they were too long (extremly long) - I must have missed this when I was making shorter version.

Anybody trying for some achievement?

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2009, 08:13:42 pm »

:o

I've lost. Basically.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2009, 08:18:47 pm »

I've lost. Basically.

Do not give up! If you feel you can not win by brute force, there is still secondary challenge.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2009, 10:33:19 pm »

I've lost. Basically.

Give it another shot. You learn more each time. I'm on my 2nd pass now.

On my first pass I got all survivors, happy land, and wrath. I forgot about artist - easy, and I might have gotten the designer ones, but I have to go back and check. I have eyes on a few others this time.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:36:51 pm by Martin »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2009, 01:37:36 am »

I've been puttering allong, but the only thing I ever get from the caravans are +<<*Steel Picks*>>+ with menacing spikes of adamantium and star emeralds.

And no food.

Seriously, Urist McTrader, don't you realize that we just showed up with the clothes on our backs?

SWEET

BABY

ARMOK

These traders showed up WITH NO BOOZE!! If I had two rocks to build a wall with, I'd lock them in the depot and let'em go mad.
Hate your Nobles, your Carp, as much as you like, these Traders are the true bane of fortresses.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 02:03:43 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

quamper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2009, 08:56:00 am »

This is a fun challenge so far. I had to stop last night right before the first caravan so we'll see how lucky I get with that. But the first 2 seasons went better than I was expecting and I think I utilized my time well. Oh yeah aside from one unfortunate death, but I'm not terribly worried. So we'll see if everything keeps going according to plan.

Pretty amazing what you can do with no resources. It's also frustrating some of the basic things you can't do!

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2009, 04:24:24 pm »

I'm starting all over again. I think I can set up production so that I can buy anything I need from the first caravan with some tweaks to my strategy.

In other words, caravans suck. Especially the ones that show up in Specialblockade
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7