Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: 2 year wealth contest  (Read 10778 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: 2 year wealth contest
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2009, 01:20:45 am »

Start it at an open magma square. Dead Magma Men give you a pile of ash. Ash can be used to build smelters and glassworks. I think you see where I'm going with this.
You mean Fire Men, don't you? And are you sure it is gooing to end well? Anyway I just generated suitable area and am working on rules. I will post save and rules in first post today.

End... "well"? Whatever that is. It will be FUN! and that is what matters.

Hm ... I am not sure if this is irony or my gramatic still sucks. I wanted to say that Fire Men are indeed fun (in Dwarf fortress meaning).

Sorry. Your meaning was fine, and I caught it. Mine was badly phrased. I was trying to play on the fact that "well" is qualitative, and also subjective. It would probably not end "well" from the perspective of my poor little dwarves, but I might find it particularly awesome to have just a couple left trying to start a metal industry from 1 block of ash and an open magma pit. melting down captured daggers to make a pick. very dire. very FUN. :D
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2009, 02:15:58 am »

This'll be my account of things.

1) Prepare to cycle through a few caravans. My first had nothing useful.
2) Consider that 6/7th of your available resources are wearing clothing. A quick and recoverable death provides for quite a bounty of tradable goods. Call this the Donner Party challenge. Too bad you can't make crafts of their bones and totems of their skulls without hacking the game.
3) I can confirm that by mid-autumn it's possible to have an axe, two picks, an anvil, and assorted other useful goodies.
4) Praise the miners!
5) Losing the wrong dwarf is devastating. A key dwarf got scared by a macaque and jumped in a pond and drowned. Another key dwarf got attacked and killed. I think I might start saving every month, just to deal with the random bits.
6) Now in 2nd summer, I realize that I focused on entirely the wrong things in the beginning and there's not quite enough time to make up for it. Prepare to play the challenge twice.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:14:23 pm by Martin »

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2009, 10:38:29 am »

I'm only slightly annoyed at the lack of rope reed.

slightly.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2009, 12:50:16 pm »

We're just some short, fat, hairy Elves, here! Nosir, none of them dwarves around...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 01:10:36 pm »

I hate save-scumming, it just feels... wrong.

yet I need to to get a cheap axe and picks.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2009, 01:23:55 pm »

I hate save-scumming, it just feels... wrong.

yet I need to to get a cheap axe and picks.

If there will be good feedback after handing out prices, we can make another round and maybe modify rules a bit.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2009, 01:38:50 pm »

Ok, so an anvil costs $1000, a stone costs $3, and a metal bar costs up to $50. That's 1053 * 1.5 = $1580. I only managed to get $500 worth of roasts, and no rope reed means no clothing industry to generate enough money for the caravan. Add that to the fact that there was a $200 pick (cheapest) and no axe.

Oh well, I'll try redoing autumn.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2009, 02:10:11 pm »

you plan on paying for the anvil?? rob them.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2009, 02:19:45 pm »

Q: Are the objects a caravan brings determined right when it enters the map, or before?

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2009, 02:31:08 pm »

you plan on paying for the anvil?? rob them.

Quote from rules:
2) Do not use any exploits and bugs - if you destroy trade depot to steal from merchants, you are out.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2009, 02:44:26 pm »

Q: Are the objects a caravan brings determined right when it enters the map, or before?

I'm not sure, but they enter so close to the start of the season I just back up to that point. My guess is it happens right when the game decides they should arrive.

Vieto: I sold about $3500 worth of stuff to the first caravan if memory serves. I bought 2 picks for $120 and $280 and a decorated steel battle axe for $680. I bought some barrels and all the plants and some other stuff. There are more resources at your disposal than you realize.

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2009, 03:29:53 pm »

Now I'm curious, did anyone get immigrants before the first caravan? They could be quite useful.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2009, 03:44:21 pm »

Martin:

oh, right... I see what you are getting at.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2009, 03:50:26 pm »

Now I'm curious, did anyone get immigrants before the first caravan? They could be quite useful.

I believe not ... you do not have much before first caravan. And immigrants are lured by your wealth.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2009, 04:02:27 pm »

I've had to scumsave 3 times into year two and as of spring I've not gotten any immigrants in any of them. And yes, immigrants would be immensely useful.

Our wealth is so low when the first caravan leaves, that I'm not too surprised at no immigrants, and by the time the 2nd comes to see a higher wealth, it leaves little time for them to arrive. How much can you get them to do in one month of winter before the deadline?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7