Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Creature Lab!  (Read 9327 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: The Creature Lab!
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 07:43:34 am »

Tormy Sword an whip are items so you would have to mod a "Flaming" material that can be used as material for whips and swords.

Apart from that yes it would be possible.

And damn its time to seek my collection of sick fantasy creatures and demons.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Angellus

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 09:21:34 am »

Greetings!

Actually, I do not mod the game, so this will probably never happen. Anyhow, if I were to mod the game, I would probably try to improve cats to make them a bit more aggressive and efficient. I still have fond memories of the cats who earned names in the 2D version by killing underground river creatures, and having cats fight slugmen and the like would be really nice. (Sorry, I have no idea whether this is actually modable or not. As I said, I am not really a modder)

Deathworks
Those are called tigers ;)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 09:32:26 am »

Tormy Sword an whip are items so you would have to mod a "Flaming" material that can be used as material for whips and swords.

Awesome. Just what I thought...hmmm I suppose, that it will be possible to define a "flaming" material for those items. [So for example if the Balrog hits something with the sword, the given target will catch on fire..]  :)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 09:37:23 am »

Awesome. Just what I thought...hmmm I suppose, that it will be possible to define a "flaming" material for those items. [So for example if the Balrog hits something with the sword, the given target will catch on fire..]  :)

It's sounding like you'll be able to do fixed temp materials, so you can at least make a permanently hot sword.  You could lower its ignition point below its fixed temperature but I suspect if it were actually on fire it would burn away to nothing.  I'm not sure Toady has mentioned temp transfers from strikes, though, so that really hot sword might not do anything special.

If you went the route of using the BURN damage type, weapons can apparently have multiple damage types now (Toady mentioned pommel bashing with swords etc.), but it's not clear whether they can do multiple types of damage in a single attack.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 09:55:01 am »

Toady also said that fireballs now transfer heat. If and how that may apply to materials with fixed temperatures i dont know.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 11:09:11 am »

When the new release comes out I will probably start working on my mod again. I have a tonne of creatures and all these new layers of complexity are going to take a long time to implement!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 11:12:54 am »

Toady also said that fireballs now transfer heat. If and how that may apply to materials with fixed temperatures i dont know.

I suspect fireballs are still kind of hacked in -- I don't think he mentioned them being folded into the general projectile system with an item type and material and so forth.  Which is too bad, I wish the oddball creature attacks were more moddable.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 01:05:01 pm »

I suspect fireballs are still kind of hacked in -- I don't think he mentioned them being folded into the general projectile system with an item type and material and so forth.  Which is too bad, I wish the oddball creature attacks were more moddable.
Possibly he is afraid of the consequences if we could.
The scary thing is, we wouldn't bat an eyelid if someone came out with a mod that made everything throw fireballs.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 01:56:21 pm »

Possibly he is afraid of the consequences if we could.
The scary thing is, we wouldn't bat an eyelid if someone came out with a mod that made everything throw fireballs.

Screw fireballs.  I'm just going to make all the humanoids spit harmless little globs of saliva at each other.  Should add some extra flavor to combat.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 02:18:18 pm »

hehehe imagine what would happen if this breathattacks would work like throwing ^^.

Also if we assume an tile is 5*5*5 Meter your guy would spit 50 meters and more ;)

Proud to be a Furry.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 03:07:01 pm »

I want my drow to shoot posion darts.

It's not enough that they are invisible and deadly, now they will have the most annoying weapon.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 05:26:12 pm »

Dragons. Lots of them. They'd all be different species with different biomes and stuff. Here are a few of my ideas.

Red Dragon (D): The basic, fire breathing dragon. It's going to be the same as the current dragon except if Toady gives them different color scales, I'll change that to making them only red.

Green Dragon (D): Forest dragons. They are slightly smaller and faster than red dragons, and breathe stun poison. Elves would be immune to their poison effects.

Gold Dragon (D): These would shoot globs of molten gold and chunks of gold at you. Their scales are made of solid gold.

Iron Dragon (D): Mountain dragons. They don't breathe anything, but their scales/claws/teeth are made of iron. Dwarves are the best at taking these out since they have steel and adamantine.

Wood Dragon (D): These dragons are wild, non-megabeast animals. They are created by elves and are made of solid wood. They are immune to pain and stuff, but are small and have no breath.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 06:38:34 pm »

You could make the first two Magma and Moss dragons.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 06:39:47 pm »

Gold Dragon (D): These would shoot globs of molten gold and chunks of gold at you. Their scales are made of solid gold.
"Woose1 has seen a interesting bussiness opportunity lately..."

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 12:09:02 am »

Dragons. Lots of them. They'd all be different species with different biomes and stuff. Here are a few of my ideas.

Red Dragon (D): The basic, fire breathing dragon. It's going to be the same as the current dragon except if Toady gives them different color scales, I'll change that to making them only red.

Green Dragon (D): Forest dragons. They are slightly smaller and faster than red dragons, and breathe stun poison. Elves would be immune to their poison effects.

Iron Dragon (D): Mountain dragons. They don't breathe anything, but their scales/claws/teeth are made of iron. Dwarves are the best at taking these out since they have steel and adamantine.

Wood Dragon (D): These dragons are wild, non-megabeast animals. They are created by elves and are made of solid wood. They are immune to pain and stuff, but are small and have no breath.

Why not just go with the DnD set of dragons?
It works perfectly for me in games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5