Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Creature Lab!  (Read 9301 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: The Creature Lab!
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2009, 10:45:44 am »

*Snip awsome

Sheesh, so many dragons! To liven things up, my ideas for this monstrosity.

Fire-breath is a given, as are horrific gore and biting attacks. But to add some flavor to this beast, a skin-secreted contact poison could be added that (if possible) induces tremendous fear.

After all, it's an elephant-carp-hippo-unicorn. It's effectively a living nightmare.
Old picture is old.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2009, 11:20:28 am »

Just you wait till dwarfs get pandemia in the next verison  ;D

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2009, 04:44:25 pm »

*Snip awsome

Sheesh, so many dragons! To liven things up, my ideas for this monstrosity.

Fire-breath is a given, as are horrific gore and biting attacks. But to add some flavor to this beast, a skin-secreted contact poison could be added that (if possible) induces tremendous fear.

After all, it's an elephant-carp-hippo-unicorn. It's effectively a living nightmare.
Old picture is old.

Old picture is classic.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2009, 05:23:09 pm »

Hm, the rot dragon should slowly rot itself. That would be pretty awesome. If it's possible for something's skin to secrete two poisons, then it should do that. If not, then its skin should just secrete the weaker poison.

Here are a couple more dragons:
Spiny Dragon (D): These dragons have spikes on their limbs and tails, making them more dangerous than other dragons in melee. Their scales are also tougher than normal dragon scales, though not as strong as the metal dragons. When it's possible, the spikes will be able to break off and get stuck in their enemies (like porcupine spikes) and regrow.
Magma Dragon (D): Red dragons are fire resistant, but not magma resistant. Magma dragons have skin made of bauxite and spit fire and globs of magma. Due to their tough skin, they move significantly slower than most other dragons.
Wind Dragon (D): They can't breathe anything, but wind dragons are quite fast and can fly. Their scales are just as strong as normal dragon scales, but weigh next to nothing, making them useful for armor.
Blue Dragon (D): They're fast and amphibious, and move even faster in water. Their breath mimics the slowing power of water by stunning all in its path, though anything accustomed to water is completely immune.

As a fan of naga, I'm going to mod them in two. Except they'll be half snake, half man, half dragon. If it's possible to control how much of something a creature breathes out, resulting in breath attacks that only go two or three tiles out from the creature, then I'll use some of those. If the breath types are only one huge forward blast and one small undirected burst (Toady mentioned the undirected burst), then the naga will only have claws and fangs.
All naga will be different castes of the same species, unlike dragons.
Red Naga (N): This naga has a higher-than-average body temperature and its scales are more heat-resistant. It can inject a literally burning venom into its victims.
White Naga (N): White naga are cold-resistant, and their venom freezes you.
Green Naga (N): They're faster and lighter than regular naga, but are also weaker. They prefer to attack from a range and have even adapted to spit small globs of stun-poison.
Iron Naga (N): They are a full size larger than most naga, and have sharp claws that tear through flesh with ease. Their iron scales cover their arms and heads as well as their tails, offering more protection. They move more slowly than most naga, and don't learn things as easily.
Rot Naga (N): Rot naga live short lives. They have some of the most deadly venom, eating away at their enemies' flesh, but they slowly rot themselves with it. They're immune to pain but also only live 10-20 years, while other naga live five times that long.
Wind Naga (N): These naga are faster and weaker than green naga, and if Toady ever fixes flight for civilized creatures and makes flight more detailed, they'll be able to fly short distances.
Blue Naga (N): Blue Naga are amphibious and move faster in water, making them quite useful for taking down carp and other sea creatures.
Gold Naga (N): These naga are the rarest kind. They're exalted and almost worshiped by the other naga.

Also, a new species of dwarf. Beardwarves (). Half, dwarf, half bear, these guys are larger than humans and take out anything with their claws. They can live in both forests and mountains, and devour the corpses of their enemies. They are more primitive than other races and learn slowly. In addition, all their weapons are crude, so they usually stick to their claws or trade for weapons. If the next release fixes non-default weapons, the only weapon they'll make with much proficiency is battle-claws.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2009, 05:44:48 pm »

Except they'll be half snake, half man, half dragon.

wut

But your stuff sounds good so far. A bit generic, perhaps, but still good.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2009, 06:57:47 pm »

First up, some nightmare creatures to make your dwarves wet themselves.
Golden Carp (α): The golden carp are rare, and for a good reason. They are made of solid gold, but they still manage to be faster and stronger than any other carp. When killed, they drop gold bars.
Silver Gar (g): Everyone knows that Longnose Gar are the second most deadly fish, and Silver Gar are almost as strong and fast as Golden Carp.
Bronze Sturgeon (α): Sturgeons are the third most dangerous of the large fish, and Bronze Sturgeon are the third most dangerous of the metal fish.

Also, a new type of fish.
Bearded Trout (α): Trout with beards. For the hell of it.

And then these.
Animated Stone (/): Animated stones are just flying rocks that live in caves and drop rocks when they die.
Haunted Log (): These live in forests. Don't ask questions.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2009, 07:21:57 pm »

First up, some nightmare creatures to make your dwarves wet themselves.
Golden Carp (α): The golden carp are rare, and for a good reason. They are made of solid gold, but they still manage to be faster and stronger than any other carp. When killed, they drop gold bars.
Silver Gar (g): Everyone knows that Longnose Gar are the second most deadly fish, and Silver Gar are almost as strong and fast as Golden Carp.
Bronze Sturgeon (α): Sturgeons are the third most dangerous of the large fish, and Bronze Sturgeon are the third most dangerous of the metal fish.

Also, a new type of fish.
Bearded Trout (α): Trout with beards. For the hell of it.

And then these.
Animated Stone (/): Animated stones are just flying rocks that live in caves and drop rocks when they die.
Haunted Log (): These live in forests. Don't ask questions.

While we're at it, why not add ultra-slow Treants that move too slowly to be percieved, and have an aura breath weapon. Only problem would be designating them with a tag that doesn't make dwarves flee.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2009, 07:38:05 pm »

^ Wait, what?! Treants and aura breath weapon?  :o
I don't think that Treants should have any breath weapons at all, but maybe it's just me?  :D
Anyway, what the hell is an "aura breath weapon"?  ???

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2009, 08:43:08 pm »

Today was material breath weapons. For now, there can be forward puffs of gas/vapor/dust of any material, as well as clouds surrounding and liquid/solid glob projectiles.

From the dev list.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2009, 07:42:19 am »

Ah so basically it's not a breath weapon, but an aura.  :)
Anyway, here is yet another creature what I plan to mod in:

Manticore:  It has the body of a red lion, a human head with three rows of sharp teeth (like a shark).  It may be horned, winged, or both. The tail is that of either a dragon or a scorpion, and it may shoot poisonous spines to either paralyze or kill its victims. The creature's feet may also be of a dragon.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2009, 07:43:52 pm »

Not anything original, but they're different.

Grass Assassin(G)  Large praying mantis like creature, equivalent of the current size 10.  Forearms end in incredibly sharp biological sickle blades.  Able to shoot webs a short distance or shoot a longer range glob of stun juice.  Live in hot dry areas in small numbers.  The sickle arms can be processed into a sharp but brittle blade materiel.

(spawned by a forum thread)
Reeses Macaw(m) Large bird that can grasp things well with it's feet.  Naturally curious they will take off with anything they come across.  The skulls made of a colorful variety of bone, causing macaw skull totems to be quite valuable. Can fly.

(been using these as a custom pet for awhile)
Saurian(s) Like a red Kimono Dragon. They have a mildly poisonous bite that causes nausea in mammalian creatures.  They are faster then their island cousins, and are capable of surviving in temperatures above 160F.  However temperatures as low as 50F will kill them almost instantly. Domesticate-able and trainable.  Their poison actually functions as a mild painkiller in reptilian piscine and draconic creatures(if possible).

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:58:09 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2009, 08:44:00 pm »

Lamassu (L): A creature with the wings of a sparrow the body of a bull and the head of a man. Very wise and strong.

Death-moth: Vermin of the undead lands sprays poison that makes you thro up.

Giant-death-Moth: (M) Same as the comon deathmoth but more poisonous (necrotoxin). It has an Skullpattern on its wings and is encountered in small groups.

Hellhound (G): Dark red brown/Black doglike creature with netherending hunger and evergrowing. It has 4 eyes. Slash atacks with trhe Paws. Gore with the mouth. (resembles Garm)

Fogweaver(F): White/silvery/skyblue Bird. Its temperature is near 0°C. It has a fog aura and a incredible cold beak. It also has claws with pierce damage. The size of this bird goes up to a Humans size. The feathers will get an very high value. Fogweavers will be found in serene biomes.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2009, 10:11:44 pm »

Bearded Dragon (D): These dragons have beards. Right now they'll just be dragons with beards and the ability to talk, but when magic comes in, they'll be wizards.
Speckled Dragon (D): These dragons are small and weak, their hide covered in many colors. Their main strength is that they can use the breath attacks of any of the other dragons.
Bearded Dog (d): Dogs with beards. They're smaller and weaker than regular dogs, but they can speak and learn skills, in addition to war/hunting training.
Fire Sphere (0): These semimegabeast spheres breathe fire and launch globs of magma. They can't move, which is their greatest weakness. Made out of solid ruby, they are immortal and grow in size constantly, making them harder to kill. They drop masterwork large rubies when killed.
Venom Spirit (&): Venom spirits, although incredibly weak physically, are immune to almost all poisons and can use every type of venom to take down their enemies.
Aqua Sphere (0): Aqua spheres are semimegabeasts that use blue dragons' slowing venom, as well as a variety of freezing attacks. They are made out of sapphire and grow like fire spheres.
Black Sphere (0): Black spheres are dangerous, emitting clouds of necrotic and pain-inducing vapor. They are often found surrounded by what appear to be dead bodies, but are adventurers that the sphere knocked out and left to rot. They are made of black diamonds, making destroyed ones very valuable.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2009, 11:13:09 pm »

Death-moth: Vermin of the undead lands sprays poison that makes you thro up.

Giant-death-Moth: (M) Same as the comon deathmoth but more poisonous (necrotoxin). It has an Skullpattern on its wings and is encountered in small groups.

Fogweaver(F): White/silvery/skyblue Bird. Its temperature is near 0°C. It has a fog aura and a incredible cold beak. It also has claws with pierce damage. The size of this bird goes up to a Humans size. The feathers will get an very high value. Fogweavers will be found in serene biomes.

If aura weapons are constant, it'd be awesome to make mist-spewing vermin to accent the terrain.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2009, 11:17:14 pm »

If they can use mist i would use them in my meating areas ^^.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5