Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Firekeeping  (Read 3331 times)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Re: Firekeeping
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 08:01:10 pm »

Holy moly, imps can be dangerous!

Ok - my experiments so far - burning equipement and furniture is not worth it - corpses can supply fire longer.

Will have to build the whole thing again, i made no saves :(

Also smoke spreads weird (or is it weirdly?). When you have large room, it will not raise only spread on same z-level as the source is. I do not know if 1x1 holes - chimneys - would work, but what definitely works are stairways. Stairways transport smoke (AND MIASMA) between z-levels very well (even one z-level down).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:04:45 pm by DennyTom »
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 03:28:08 pm »

Code: [Select]
  ___ _______
 /+x|_|~~~~~
|o++X_X~~~~~
 \+x| |~~~~~
  --- -------
Unfortunately, there's a small problem with that setup.  Whenever letting magma or water into a room when you intend to have a specific level of fluid, you need to set it up so you have that amount in the floodgate space and whatever storage space you have as well.  What you have there is nine squares you're attempting to fill with seven buckets (to use the standard dwarven measurement) of magma.  It would work for sock-burning, but not in the way you say.

Also, on the minor topic of firesnakes, I had a problem with snakes in my food stockpiles.  They kept destroying the wooden barrels, so I had to forge some metal ones to actually keep my food and booze in.  Didn't detonate any of it, but I'd watch them and every so often a barrel would turn into a pile of food and the dwarves would scurry down and rebarrel it.  Booze would just stay on the floor, though.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 10:17:34 pm »

I've found that letting firesnakes loose in your food stockpiles makes for a decent fire, too.

Especially if you have a ton of flammable booze there....

I have a tone of wild firesnakes inside of my fort and in my booze/food supplies.

Not once did something ignite, then again my dorfs could've scared them off seeing as the stockpile is visited 24/7.

Good call on the floodgate and storage space, i completely and utterly forgot to take that into account even though my past constructions have done so properly. Easily fixed by moving the two x's one square left and replacing their old locations with walls to drop the tile count down to 7.

When I was running Bustnut, fire snakes were the bane of my freakin' existence. I had a big metal bar stockpile near my magma forges, bins and all. Fire snakes would come out of the lava and ruin my bins on a daily basis. I chained upward of 6 cats in that room, and even tried locking the doors with unchained cats in the room. But the cats refused to do their jobs, so I ended up moving all flammable items 10 or more tiles away from any magma to end the bin-barrel-bag holocost the snakes visited upon us.

I got so sick of dealing with fire snakes that I just remove the [IMMOLATE] tag from their entry in the raws now, and instead modded in a bite attack similar to cave spiders which...sets fire to the victim. :( It's non-negotiable death, you just see STRAY CAT (TAME) HAS DIED IN THE HEAT!

quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 06:05:39 am »

Finally some test with good results ... charcoal burns nicely long and setup suggested by Noble Digger and repaired by Dareon Clearwater works!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This method works, but it is not constant flow of smoke, its more like massive puffs in irregular intervals.

EDIT: I channeled stairs, so now there are 1x1 holes and it works much better! I also tried booze and turles as fuel and ... well I am not impressed. Turle makes quite nice puff but it is gone right away and booze makes nice little explosion but not much smoke. It seems that best is charcoal.

Also there is one major flaw of this simplified design - it can not be refueled when there is still magma. But it should be easily solved by dumping from level above or directly trough chimney. Cleaning excesive magma with water is not a good idea because of obsidian - it adds something more to care about.

Another thing - I am not sure how magma proofing works anymore, because magma destroyed my felsite floodgates (when opened) - there was molten felsite and bauxite mechanism flowing in magma. Also heat from burning 5 charcoals destroyed closed felsite floodgate (1 charcoal was OK but 5 was too much). At this point I had to suspend my experiments again because it flooded my whole smoke generator with magma.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 07:18:54 am by DennyTom »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 11:19:29 am »

Magma safe floodgates require that both the floodgate itself be magma proof as well as the mechanism - so a bauxite floodgate + bauxite mechanism or an iron floodgate + bauxite mechanism would work fine.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 12:37:30 pm »

Also great for magma proof stuff: nickel silver.

You import a bit of affordable nickel, and mix it with a couple of very cheap metals, and suddenly you have a stock of magma-proof metal that couldn't have been better used for armor or weapons!

Great for no-iron maps, especially if you're sitting on a copperlode.

Using plain nickel works as well, but making nickel silver lets you stretch that nickel out into a larger supply very affordably.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 12:47:26 pm »

Do you have a pressure plate in the area where the magma is?  Having one of those maintaining a constant 1/7 or 2/7 of magma would be perfect.  Magma at that depth will make things burn, but not swallow them immediately.  3/7 might work as well.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 01:06:03 pm »

Do you have a pressure plate in the area where the magma is?  Having one of those maintaining a constant 1/7 or 2/7 of magma would be perfect.  Magma at that depth will make things burn, but not swallow them immediately.  3/7 might work as well.

good idea but I still need to manage fuel manually and pulling 2 levers does not add that much work

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 02:46:57 pm »

Any way to make it so that you can have chunks/vermin remains automatically dumped? I don't use pits often enough to know the tricks around them.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 03:25:33 pm »

Any way to make it so that you can have chunks/vermin remains automatically dumped? I don't use pits often enough to know the tricks around them.
Yes, actually.  "o", "r" then hit whatever key corresponds to "dwarves save other."  It will change to "dwarves dump other."  If you have cats around, or if you have so many animals that by the time the last one is butchered you have to order more butchered, then the whole process of smoking can be made to work automatically if my previous suggestion were utilized.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 07:01:24 pm »

That design is flawed. What you need to do is...

__  ______             
__D |_____| ~~~~~ |
   |F_X__X__Lava _|
   |G|
   | |
D = Door
F = Fire
G = Grate
X= Floodgate (Lavaproof, of course)

A small ammount of magma enters the fire chamber when you flip the lever, it covers what you want to burn, then sloshes down the grate and to a disposal area. After the object is on fire, you have dwarves dump the stuff you want to burn down into the hole. Probly have to do this once a month. Im pretty sure things would burn slower using this.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 07:10:09 pm »

Okay, so here's what I've got:
The framework doesn't matter.  All that matters is this
-you have pressure plates and floodgates maintaining a magma depth of 2, with a spot or two of 1/7 floating around.
-You have a loooooong butchering que and have the refuse orders set to automatically dump chunks or remains (or anything else that generates a great deal of remains, such as cave spiders or cats).
-OR if you frequently get goblin sieges, the massive amount of cloth they have can supply you. 
-you have a dump zone designate in a tunnel that leads to about halfway up the chimney.  The exact tile designated should be the tile right next to the open space.

Items in 1-2, or possibly even 3 depths of magma will burn without instantly disintegrating.  At very low levels, like 1/7 puddle with one tile of 2/7 jumping around, you should get a lot of mileage out of this.
Just so I remember

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 07:19:06 pm »

Oh, I have a great way to keep fires, either soak large amounts of cloth in booze, and then wad it up.

OR

Cover slabs of wood with wax, and stack them on top of each other.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 07:23:47 pm »

That design is flawed. What you need to do is...

__  ______             
__D |_____| ~~~~~ |
   |F_X__X__Lava _|
   |G|
   | |
D = Door
F = Fire
G = Grate
X= Floodgate (Lavaproof, of course)

A small ammount of magma enters the fire chamber when you flip the lever, it covers what you want to burn, then sloshes down the grate and to a disposal area. After the object is on fire, you have dwarves dump the stuff you want to burn down into the hole. Probly have to do this once a month. Im pretty sure things would burn slower using this.

This is nice and safe version. Very good idea. Big problem is you need that extra space at bottom to dump excesive magma. I worry that I will not have that space.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2009, 07:26:20 pm »

You don't need that much space. If the magma amounts used are small, it'll just spread out and evaporate.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4