Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Firekeeping  (Read 3337 times)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Firekeeping
« on: February 09, 2009, 10:35:38 pm »

I would like to build stylish entrance for my new fort. Dragon head would be nice. There is a small problem - it demands smoke coming from its nostrils.

I have idea.

Awesome sideview:
Code: [Select]
  $  <--- smoke coming out
  $
## ########
## #_       <--- debris goes here
## # ######
## # # X X  <--- magma goes here
## # # ####
## fire ###
###########

# - stone
_ - bridge with dump
X - floodgate

Would this work? If I make HUGE pile of flamable things and set them on fire with magma, will it burn for long time or they will be gone as fast as if there was just one sock?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Re: Firekeeping
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:41:22 pm »

As long as the item doesnt turn into ash due to the magma, it should burn for a while no matter what it is. I suggest you dump socks down there every one in a while, also, make sure you have a cap on the dumping area so the smoke doesnt go up the wrong pipe.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:58:32 pm »

While not having tried this, I heard that a chunk of lignite/coal would smoke for a long time.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 11:00:55 pm »

I've never seen smoke from anything I've dumped in magma. It just seems to get quietly swallowed up - though I think I always have a hatch there, so maybe that just kept the smoke at bay. I think you need something on fire which is not in magma. I suggest throwing down burnable refuse (gobbo clothes, natch) and having a fire imp sealed off in a room at the end of the dump behind a fortification or wall grate (trap it, release via lever) and then toss in something which can provide ignition. I suggest kittens or gobbos. That should burn a good while if my dragon/gobbo interactions are any indicator. Then just keep dumping stuff in there and if it goes out, another gobbo or kitten.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 11:15:12 pm »

Charcoal burns for an amazingly long time when dumped into magma.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:19:40 pm »

Looking at the OPs diagram more closely, it looks like he only intends to release a single tile of magma at a time, which should work dandy. If the smoke is contained horizontally, will it expand upward? I've only played with smoke in fairly open areas and it went outward, but not upward that much if memory serves.

He could shorten the whole thing by 2 z levels by moving the magma down level with the burning area.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 11:34:19 pm »

Turtles burn for an exasperatingly long amount of time. Especially ones that are in barrels to start.

I know from making a fort in a scorching desert with lethal temperatures in the summer. My food pile had a skylight. It was horrible.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 03:16:19 am »

Your geting "Horrible" And "Fun" Mixed up again inaluct.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 03:19:28 am »

But these are turtles!  Surely you can see the problem not being able to fulfill demands for shells to cover an artifact weapon will bring!
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 06:00:13 am »

I've found that letting firesnakes loose in your food stockpiles makes for a decent fire, too.

Especially if you have a ton of flammable booze there....

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 09:32:26 am »

But these are turtles!  Surely you can see the problem not being able to fulfill demands for shells to cover an artifact weapon will bring!

I do not think that is the problem - catching turtles is easy.

------------------

Thank you for suggestions, I will start new nano fort in magma pipe and make some experiments
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 03:42:39 pm »

Wow, I love this idea. Here's a good way to get it going, as far as the magma feed is concerned.

Code: [Select]
  ___ _______
 /+x|_|~~~~~
|o++X_X~~~~~
 \+x| |~~~~~
  --- -------

The left chamber is the bottom, with each of the 2 x's representing holes above for smoke to travel out of the nostrils. The o represents the hole above where you can place goods into the hole to set them up for destruction. In between the two floodgates is a single tile, 7 units of magma, enough to put 1/7 magma on each of the 7 tiles in the burning room :) It will set things ablaze and evaporate quickly. Just operate the floodgates sequentially so only 7 magmas enter this room, as deep magma will burn your goods too quickly :(

Wood, gems, and clothing burn nicely. :)
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 04:17:04 pm »

Wood, gems, and clothing burn nicely. :)

Don't forget kittens and gobbos!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 04:20:26 pm »

Graphite, if you have any, will also burn. And it's pretty much worthless otherwise, so it's a good candidate for this.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

xRedster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 04:37:38 pm »

I've found that letting firesnakes loose in your food stockpiles makes for a decent fire, too.

Especially if you have a ton of flammable booze there....

I have a tone of wild firesnakes inside of my fort and in my booze/food supplies.

Not once did something ignite, then again my dorfs could've scared them off seeing as the stockpile is visited 24/7.
Since I can't fight goblins, elves or humans, I'll just collapse mountains.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4