Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you view female dwarves as having beards?

Yes.
- 131 (51.2%)
No.
- 96 (37.5%)
I don't view either gender as having facial hair.
- 2 (0.8%)
What the hell is a dwarve?
- 11 (4.3%)
I think Toady said something about this one time, and I'm too spineless to make a wrong guess that might contradict DF canon.
- 16 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 256

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Do You Picture Female Dwarfs as Having Beards?  (Read 16851 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Picture Female Dwarfs as Having Beards?
« Reply #195 on: February 09, 2009, 09:14:00 am »

Dwarven women are so dwarfy that their eyeballs have a beard.

THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS, DAMMIT!
And in Dwarf Fortress, Females do not have beards. You have to mod dwarf fortress to get females with beards. Giving Dwarven females beards is like removing cannibalism from elves, or poisoned sweat from kobolds. Okay, the last one was made up, but I'll bet kobolds are awesome too.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2009, 09:17:31 am »

but.. but that means that dwarven womens are having their inbuilt means of contraception removed. poor dears. I shall have to mod in false beards for them to wear.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2009, 10:12:14 am »

If you are going to go through the effort of making them have false beards, then just give them real beards.

End dwarf rape, give the women beards ;)

Or maybe it is just that unmoded female dwarves are all sexually promiscuous...

"Not only will I open my beard for anyone, I don't even bother with a beard!"
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2009, 11:24:01 am »

Yes, it's a discworld thing. Although I also recently read about it in LOTR.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2009, 01:03:54 pm »

I'll probably wind up modding them even more myself.  Give women beards, then all dwarves grey/blue skin or something, and stones in their organs.  And make elves hollow like birds.

Making elves hollow is really more the kind of thing one would be doing in adventure mode rather than modding.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2009, 02:21:37 pm »

You can only imagine them that way without consequence if beards have absolutely no impact on gameplay, which they very well might in the future at some point.

Exactly.  And likely the very next release.  Imaging dwarven women with beards is pointless when the presence/absence of beards has actual gameplay effects.

That hasn't happened yet. I will adjust my thinkinging as neccessary.

Kobold Justice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2009, 04:49:11 pm »

Not one guy. the guy. This man made modern fantasy. But really, it dosnt matter what another person thinks. It's ascii, you can imagine it any way you want. I'm sure as jell not gonna stop you

Erm, just because it's ASCII doesn't mean you can "imagine it any way you want". Sure, a deer is an ASCII "D" but that doesn't mean I can pretend it's a tentacle monster, because it sure as hell doesn't act like one and doesn't have the same parts. Also, she won't have a beard on whichever screen shows such data, and it'll never get pulled by an opponent in combat. :P

And who gives a damn if it's "THE guy"? I don't. So what if he made some alterations to dwarves that persist to this day, even in DF? It doesn't make a damn bit of difference. I'd rather Toady actually be creative with the way he makes the game rather than relying on old methods. Hell, if Tolkien hadn't acted creatively himself he wouldn't have "invented modern fantasy" to begin with.

Sure it does.  You can 'pretend' in any way you like.  Kids can pretend their dog's a dragon, and just because it doesn't actually eat their face when it jumps on top of them (erm, hopefully) doesn't render their fun invalid.  It could just remain an unanswered question as to why female beards never get pulled... maybe it's an understood faux pas among fantasy creatures ;).

That said, I don't imagine female dwarves as having beards.  Dwarves are inherently stockier than other species, but I don't take that to mean they're manlier and hairier in every other respect, too.  Perhaps there's even some socially rejected beardless male dwarf out there!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2009, 06:26:28 pm »

What I'm saying is, Tolkein's description of things shouldn't be an argument for or against anything, except his own works and things directly based on them.
Didn't DF start out as a Moria simulater?  I mean, you hit the underground river, the chasm flow, the magma (okay, I don't remember that being in Moria, but there's still), the HFS that digging up resulted in the fort's inevitable death-by-demon.

Of course, that was 2D.  We're in 3D now.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 10, 2009, 12:48:06 am »

Soon to be 3D WITH ADDED AWESOMENESS.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 10, 2009, 06:37:53 am »

Why imagine when you can spend two minutes modding?

overlordFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2009, 07:24:54 am »

I picked yes. I mean, dwarves are cool because they have beards. Dwarven women are just as cool as the men, therefore they too most have beards, since the beards are the source of the dwarves awesomeness.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2009, 07:53:40 pm »

I respect anybody who has a beard, male or female.

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 11, 2009, 12:05:08 am »

but.. but that means that dwarven womens are having their inbuilt means of contraception removed. poor dears. I shall have to mod in false beards for them to wear.
Dwarven noblewomen certainly lack them, then.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 11, 2009, 02:08:09 am »

Hey, we could shave the beards of nobles who annoy us! And they can do it to dwarves in liu of hammering which I think is being implimented.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 11, 2009, 05:18:08 am »

I once again propose my "Dwarven women have Mustaches" compromise.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15