Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you view female dwarves as having beards?

Yes.
- 131 (51.2%)
No.
- 96 (37.5%)
I don't view either gender as having facial hair.
- 2 (0.8%)
What the hell is a dwarve?
- 11 (4.3%)
I think Toady said something about this one time, and I'm too spineless to make a wrong guess that might contradict DF canon.
- 16 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 256

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Do You Picture Female Dwarfs as Having Beards?  (Read 16915 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Picture Female Dwarfs as Having Beards?
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2009, 10:57:06 am »

What is this 'Discworld' I keep hearing mentioned? It's a book by some Pratchett fellow, right?
Thou must readeth the books of the Great Lord of Satire, Terry Pratchett, or suffereth greatlyeth.

Personally I would recommend starting with The Color of Magic or Guards! Guards!
After a few books you'll see why people who have read them like dwarves with beards.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2009, 11:09:34 am »

Beardless

If they all had beards, dwarves would not consider beards to be a sexual characteristic. I laugh in your face for suggesting such nonsense good sir

Oh crap you're a negative and hostile arse that never thinks in thread after thread, aren't you?! (1) All physical features does not have to be sexual (who says Dwarves have sex the human standard way anyways?), and (2) there are men who find women with short hair sexy just as there are women who find men with long hair and with or without facial hair attractive (and I know a few women with obvious facial hair that don't shave and they're still in relationships).

Stop being such a bratish troll all the time...
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2009, 11:15:17 am »

Oh crap you're a negative and hostile arse that never thinks in thread after thread, aren't you?! (1) All physical features does not have to be sexual (who says Dwarves have sex the human standard way anyways?), and (2) there are men who find women with short hair sexy just as there are women who find men with long hair and with or without facial hair attractive (and I know a few women with obvious facial hair that don't shave and they're still in relationships).

How I love irony!
Thou must readeth the books of the Great Lord of Satire, Terry Pratchett, or suffereth greatlyeth.

Personally I would recommend starting with The Color of Magic or Guards! Guards!
After a few books you'll see why people who have read them like dwarves with beards.
Hey now, I never said dwarfs didn't have beards. Yes, I know what you meant, but it's still too close!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:19:53 am by Fenrir »

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2009, 12:42:16 pm »

How I love irony!

No irony intended. And there is none where you think it is.

Anyway, sorry for going OT.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

ZealTheSavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2009, 01:08:14 pm »

All dwarves are born with a full beard, but only the woman are willingly allowed to shave and the dishonored and exiled are forced to shave.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2009, 01:18:14 pm »

It IS pretty clear that in at least most fantasy, beards AREN'T a sexual characteristic for dwarves, or at least not a gender-specific one. They're more a universal dwarven trait. No reason why they have to be a secondary sexual characteristic.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2009, 01:36:00 pm »

I propose a different Hypothisis. All dwarven women are not only beardless, but entirely without hair... ANYWHERE. In fact, they also have red eyes and skin as white as snow. Yes, Albino in the extreme!

They are also BORN with cave adaption.

Here is my "Family Tree" of the Species
Code: [Select]
                         Primate
                            v
                     ("Missing Link")
                            v
    Proto-Homo sapient<----------->Proto-Dwarf
              v                        v
Proto-Elf<---------->Proto-Human   Cave-Dwarf
              v            v           v
    Goblin<------>Elf    Human       Dwarf
Dwarves evolved into more and more subterrainan area. They end up with more fungus and fermented stuff because of their growing underground evolution. The females become the ones responsible for underground work, while the males remain aboveground. The harry nature helps the males stay warm on the surface, while the lack of light belowground results in the females not needing body hair at all, and adapting to the underground environment.

Seriously, you all lack creativity. "Copy Tolkien! Copy Pratchett!" Why not be creative instead? Hairless albino dwarf women FTW!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 02:06:19 pm by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2009, 02:19:18 pm »

^^^
Heathen!  Get him!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2009, 02:22:22 pm »

There is no thing like an female dwarf. The female symbol at some dwarfs is just an bug like the Carps byte attack :P.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2009, 07:12:21 pm »

Heaven forbid I don't agree with your highness on everything. Clearly I'm just a stupid troll for not seeing the wisdom in your every word. Go back to 4chan, I've done no wrong

I do enjoy the irony of you calling me a troll for posting my opinion in a thread about opinions on dwarven facial hair. It is simply my view that dwarven hunks are defined by their beards more than anything else. I don't see why you felt the need to confront me about it

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2009, 07:15:35 pm »

Look, if female dwarves didn't have beards, then people wouldn't be able to like female dwarves for their beards.  I mean, [PREFSTRING:beards]!  How can someone like a species for a feature only half of them have?!
Just so I remember

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2009, 08:04:22 pm »

I think they have beards, just not huge, body-covering ones. Just a beard like you'd find on a male human.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2009, 08:06:23 pm »

Look, if female dwarves didn't have beards, then people wouldn't be able to like female dwarves for their beards.  I mean, [PREFSTRING:beards]!  How can someone like a species for a feature only half of them have?!

For the same reason you can like peacocks for their plumage

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2009, 08:08:53 pm »

Just the same, i propose an additional prefstring for dwarves
[PREFSTRING:hairless albino women]

Wizards can have two, dwarves should too!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2009, 04:48:51 am »

I like women for there breasts.

And, if they have it, there intellegence, goodwill and friendlyness. But breasts are a definite plus.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15