Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637226 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10515 on: January 17, 2010, 08:07:08 pm »

50/500 rule
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10516 on: January 17, 2010, 08:34:49 pm »

Just pointing out that human tribes were not isolated from each other, and there was interbreeding between groups by... various means
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10517 on: January 17, 2010, 08:48:33 pm »

Speaking of my little side note above, and granted it's a bit further into the fortress future than the next release,  will other civilizations ever eventually react to you building a fort within their geopolitical boundaries?  I'd like to think there will eventually be repercussions if a group of dwarfs just started digging in in the middle of human territories, especially if they are digging up all sorts of valuable minerals and gems that technically belong to the humans... I'd like to see something like the humans annexing your fortress by defeating your military, allowing you to continue running it, but swapping your parent civ to human and stationing NPC human guards.  maybe you could even rebel against the humans and kill their guards by training and arming new troops in secret...  That'll need some pretty sophisticated AI on the human guards, though, and some way you keep you from dealing with the human guards like caravans and nobles currently can be dealt with... Or maybe not ::)
Would make more sense if they tried to tax you first, and watched for very profitable trade. If that's not provided, then they should have that nagging thought of taking over your mines. Any good ruler in history knew that it's better to let other people do the drudge work if you can set up some artificial values to keep them going.  Dwarves seem to love making things and digging up treasure, enough that that should offset their perception of what they're actually handing out ("This ≡steel short-sword≡ is so plainly engraved, and there aren't any spikes or rings at all! Export this craftsdwarf's work to the humans."), but if you have less civil and more hoarding dwarves, like Tolkien did, it makes a lot of sense for there to be tension.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10518 on: January 18, 2010, 01:03:59 am »

Perfectly modern humans lived in hunter-gatherer bands for 100,000 years at least before starting to settle down in the past 10,000 years.  We took up civilization eventually, but not quickly.  We'd have once fit the "no groups with more than 30 members" pretty well.

Hunter-gatherer bands ARE a civilization. They're density limited because of food issues (hunting and gathering can support much less population per mile than herding and farming) which limits complexity, but they're just as much a civilization as we are. Compare an Amerindian village from the 1600's with a a chimpanzee grouping and you'll see the difference.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10519 on: January 18, 2010, 01:28:55 am »

an historian would tell you that civilization starts with cities, i believe :\

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10520 on: January 18, 2010, 01:37:24 am »

Do not mistake nations for civilizations. Nations are a wide range of groups and individuals that share a common cultural link, with a sense of identity and a history. Civilizations are that plus the technology, large settlements (mostly cities), governmental system, religion, art, sense of sovereign, etc.

A tribes of hunters-gatherers are not a civilization for they have no significal government, large settlements, similar religious beliefs and much less sense of sovereign. While they may compose a nation (even if not united in a single group), they lack the unity to be considered a civilization.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10521 on: January 18, 2010, 01:38:41 am »

What "historians" are you referring to? Every history I've read on the subject (hundreds) judged the cornerstones of civilization to be religion, culture, and art. Nations are extensions of civilizations, not the other way around.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10522 on: January 18, 2010, 02:01:14 am »

What "historians" are you referring to? Every history I've read on the subject (hundreds) judged the cornerstones of civilization to be religion, culture, and art. Nations are extensions of civilizations, not the other way around.

transliterating from wikapedia
"Civilization is usually taken to presuppose the presence of agriculture and urban settlements"

"The word civilization is sometimes defined as "a word that simply means 'living in cities'""

"The relative security and increased productivity provided by farming allowed these communities to expand. Surplus food made possible an increasing division of labor, the rise of a leisured upper class, and the development of cities and thus of civilization."

"Proto-civilisation (British spelling) is the transitional state between a society structured as a collection of tribal chieftains, perhaps owing allegiance to a paramount chief, and the development of a full urban civilisation"

it is hard to get direct quotes stating that "civilization starts with cities", but i found it is often implied on wikipedia articles, as if it was common knowledge, atleast thats what i understand from my last minute research

though i agree that the term nation isn't very apropriate, why can't we simply use the word culture? nations are too associated with territory and state
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:11:02 am by Askot Bokbondeler »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10523 on: January 18, 2010, 02:21:44 am »

The word 'civil' means 'of, pertaining to, or consisting of citizens'. Guess where the word 'Citizen' came from.

(Hint: City)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10524 on: January 18, 2010, 02:25:42 am »

Me being me, I'd say it's a portmanteau of "city denizen". :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10525 on: January 18, 2010, 02:29:54 am »

For once, you're actually correct.

The original meaning of Citizen was 'one who lives in a city'.

In fact you'll find that is still the 2nd definition of Citizen, beat out only by 'a legally recognized subject or national of a state or commonwealth.'

And when you realise that states and commonwealths grew out of city-states. It all makes sense.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10526 on: January 18, 2010, 02:45:56 am »

Etymology is sort of beside the point here. The words "citizen" or "civilization" coming from some particular etymological origin doesn't mean much about what the word means now or what that entails.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10527 on: January 18, 2010, 02:59:11 am »

Civilisation is of pertaining to Citizens. Citizens are people who live in Cities. This shows a fairly strong link between Civilisation and Cities, or Urban Settlements.

Religion, by the way, leads itself to organisation, which leads itself to cities. So it is technically correct to consider Religion a cornerstone of Civilisation, Art finds difficulty arising without culture and cities, as in order to truely persue Art you need to have Artists, who are people that naturally contribute little or no physical worth. In order to get to a point where you can support people who are not contributing physical worth, you need to have a fairly solid organisation in place to funnel physical worth (which in ancient terms would be defined as food) from the people who produce it to the people who don't. This, again, tends to require Cities.

As for 'culture' well, define 'culture'. Hunter Gatherer society is technically a 'culture'.

Suggesting that any can exist stand alone is a bit rediculous however. Religious leaders usually fall into the 'nonproducer' category that Artists do (in fact, leaders in general fall into this category), Cities tend to grow along with Religion, Art and 'Culture', they all feed off each other in a symbiotic (or parasitic, depending on your point of view) relationship.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:01:09 am by Neruz »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10528 on: January 18, 2010, 03:09:03 am »

Civilisation is of pertaining to Citizens. Citizens are people who live in Cities.

What in the name of God are you talking about?

Look up "civilization" on Wikipedia, or any discussion about the concept, and you will not see academics defining "civilization" as "someplace where there are citizens" unless "citizens" is circularly-defined as "people living in a civilization".

Also, your own definitions would discount people in rural communities (even in, hell, the US or any other developed nation) from being citizens of that nation and from even living in a civilization to begin with.

Civilization tends to be defined as having complex social/political structure, agriculture, and division of labor. Of course, it all sort of depends on who you ask, since the line between "civilization" and simpler cultures has to be defined somewhere, and that point is likely to be somewhat arbitrary.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10529 on: January 18, 2010, 03:10:15 am »

The earliest evidence of religious activity yet found is probably the Stone Age burials of Neanderthals, thousands of years before the first cities. Likewise, many objects that could only be either ceremonial objects used in religious rituals, or pure art, have been found in Cro-Magnon camps and mounds.  Many of the tools and weapons excavated are decorated as well.

There you have religion and art, dating back beyond the modern human species.
Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 1065