Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637145 times)

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10485 on: January 16, 2010, 07:38:18 pm »

Thought you were responding to the overall consensus of "Release is going to be soon(finally!)", not just a specific timeframe

Granted Soon in terms of this new release technically could be another 3-5 months >_>, or 1-2 years in DNF time.

Soon in DNF time is within your lifetime. There are people who paid for pre-orders of DNF over 15 years ago.
Always bet on the Duke.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10486 on: January 16, 2010, 07:53:25 pm »

Woo! Page 700!

Who is Carlos Castenada?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10487 on: January 16, 2010, 07:58:28 pm »

Toady: Please post more screenshots of titans/forgotten beasts! It makes waiting and speculating a bit more fun.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #10488 on: January 16, 2010, 08:02:39 pm »

You do realize that a screenshot of a creature will be a colored letter, right?

On another note, I am all over my heels about this release.
Dancing just isn't doing it for me.
I'm too excited!
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10489 on: January 16, 2010, 08:24:13 pm »

Woo! Page 700!

Who is Carlos Castenada?

Carlos Castaneda was an anthropologist on a field assignment to mexico who went "full native", became a powerful shaman, and wrote some books about it that seem to be part fiction although it's hard to say for sure. The books are great though.
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10490 on: January 16, 2010, 09:04:54 pm »

His books have been on my "to read" list for years.

On my "New Version To-Do List":

Remove humans from the game,

Replace,

Create a chain golem that consists of thousands of sentient iron chains,

Create a small mod that will add a few new reactions that I've been wanting to see since getting to play DF again (stone/jade weapons, fire hardened wood, cobalt alloy steel, wootz steel), and do a little mild balancing,

Create raws for every one of my (currently around 1000, eventually I'm hoping 2000) vermin for the Multitudinous Vermin Mod, with descriptions.

That ought to hold me for a while.
For they would be your masters.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10491 on: January 16, 2010, 09:07:38 pm »

Wow.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10492 on: January 16, 2010, 09:14:29 pm »

What org said.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10493 on: January 17, 2010, 12:50:43 am »

Toady: Please post more screenshots of titans/forgotten beasts! It makes waiting and speculating a bit more fun.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:48:59 am by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: January 17, 2010, 12:58:20 am »

His books have been on my "to read" list for years.

On my "New Version To-Do List":

Remove humans from the game,

Replace,

Create a chain golem that consists of thousands of sentient iron chains,

Create a small mod that will add a few new reactions that I've been wanting to see since getting to play DF again (stone/jade weapons, fire hardened wood, cobalt alloy steel, wootz steel), and do a little mild balancing,

Create raws for every one of my (currently around 1000, eventually I'm hoping 2000) vermin for the Multitudinous Vermin Mod, with descriptions.

That ought to hold me for a while.
For me, farming is getting nerfed the moment I get my hands on the next version. I'll also probably make alcohol a stun-causing poison that only dwarves are immune to, and add in a bunch of horrible ambushing swamp creatures that breath nausiating gasses and secrete deadly contact poison from their face-tendrils. Essentially I intend to glomp onto the new poison system and never let go.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10495 on: January 17, 2010, 01:03:43 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:05:59 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10496 on: January 17, 2010, 01:22:43 am »

Abculatter:

SSHHHHHHHH!
Start a new thread for that and spoiler it. I want to see what you come up with.

Here's a request for ya:
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: January 17, 2010, 01:28:59 am »

Here's a request for ya:
Ratchet & Clank reference FTW?
EDIT: Nevermind, the creature I was thinking of actually looks way different than I had remembered it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:33:26 am by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10498 on: January 17, 2010, 03:09:57 am »

Start a new thread for that and spoiler it. I want to see what you come up with.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48054.0
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10499 on: January 17, 2010, 03:13:06 am »

What? Was that another FATAL mention? MUST POST PARAGRAPH ON FATAL!

Anyhow Toady isn't close to being finished so keep your pants, skirt, kilt, underpants, skin on
BLARGLEGNARGLESNARGLE

Spoiler: F stuff (click to show/hide)

the explicit CAN_CIV doesn't make much sense to me presently. If a creature is able to do the thinking, and the speaking, why couldn't one civ?
Social structures. If you've got a species that has no qualms with murder over trivial disputes civilization might very wel be impossible for it.
I imagine even goblins kind of put that out of their minds for awhile as they focus on preparing to throw themselves at a row of marksdwarves.

Others just don't for no particular reason. In the settings where you've got all those talking creatures in a good forest the spirits never really have some centralized home location bigger than a grotto.

It's important to look at what makes civilization occur(and how you define civilization); we have plenty of examples of human cultured in various forms of civilization.  granted civilization should mean the building of cities or villages, the primary factors would be a race's willingness to live together in large groups and close quarters, and the race's capability with invention or adoption of technology.  Considering how world gen goes, a desire to expand and settle into a large kingdom or empire should also be a factor.

The question is, what races exhibit these three characteristics? Dwarfs for certain, humans historically, elfs barely meet the last requirement, and seem to get a pass on the second.
From the Biology perspective civilization like comes from a certain type of food scarcity (meaning you have to leave the social group in order to stay reasonably well fed,) with display-fights between neighboring groups. In this case raiding groups to pick off members of the other group are an effective tactic to guarantee dominance. Then the whole smarts thing can take off because instead of other things in your environment being the limiting factor on how smart you need to be it switches to members of your own species being the most important threat to your well being and a lot of the base group mechanics are already in place so soon you can't afford to forgo society, particularly based on the level of society of your neighbors.

I'm not really sure if that's simple enough for other people to follow along with or not anymore. I can barely tell that cell-type vocabulary isn't common knowledge after having been in it so long :/

Are there any fantasy creatures/races that form 30ish member groups but never societies? I picture satyrs possibly running around in small packs for more elaborate pranks and things but they're the closest I can think of and they're already half-human.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 1065