Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632831 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9465 on: December 28, 2009, 11:17:34 pm »

I swear Footkerchief, every time I think I have a handle on something, you're there to set me straight. :P Thanks. Any clue where Toady mentioned this?

Haha, welcome as always.  If you mean where he mentioned the hair color weighting... it came up before the DF Talk thing, here:

Quote from: Neoskel
Also, will we be seeing melanistic leopards and jaguars ('black panthers') in the next version or will we have to mod that in ourselves?

I did these in particular going through because when you are doing jaguar colors, it sort of jumps out.  I think I used wikipedia proportions (940:60:1 or something) for regular:black:white.  There aren't a lot of animals I did variations for though.

You can see how those weights/proportions/frequencies work here:

Code: [Select]
            A color modifier takes a list of color patterns (every color is
associated to a monotone color pattern of its color, so you can also
use color tokens) and frequencies.  I haven't filled out this list
yet...

[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BLACK:1:BROWN:1]
                [TLCM_NOUN:hair:SINGULAR]

That's for dwarf hair colors -- in this incomplete example, they're both weighted 1, so they're equally probable.  The reason I'm sure that panther color variation is done by this method, and not by castes, is that Toady recently said "castes ... that's gender for all but the ant men", meaning that the ordinary creatures just have male/female castes as opposed to color-based castes.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 11:19:07 pm by Footkerchief »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9466 on: December 29, 2009, 01:05:59 am »

It will be fun, I think, to throw in some sort of ultra-rare castes in with the normal races so we can get things like midgets and giants, or occasionally megabeasts or demons born from humans. Things like the "children born with horns" thing in Ico.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9467 on: December 29, 2009, 01:11:13 am »

It will be fun, I think, to throw in some sort of ultra-rare castes in with the normal races so we can get things like midgets and giants, or occasionally megabeasts or demons born from humans. Things like the "children born with horns" thing in Ico.

Deligating rare traits and talents through the Caste system? Mixed feelings, though if it cannot be done through extrapolation then yeah Caste would be the way to do it.

Well I can't say I havn't though of strange variations. Such as Adventurer Castes that don't breed but are selectable by the player for adventurer mode

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9468 on: December 29, 2009, 01:45:44 am »

Rarity is apparently supposed to be very customizable. If you listen to the recent preview podcast, Toady talks about setting rarity on panthers for an accurate number of black panthers, and even a very low chance for a rare white panther. I believe the numbers he gave were in the thousand range, so it should be even better precision than %.
Rarity works like worldgen's meshes: the numbers don't mean anything except in relation to each other.

Ex: 1 and 1 will give the same result as 50 and 50.

SO... could I make a creature that was 5 parts panther, 2 parts iguana, and 8 parts eagle, so that whenever two of those animals bred, it'd have a fraction-type chance of giving birth to either a panther, iguana, or eagle?
You could technically do that but panthers, iguanas and eagles would all have chances of giving birth to each other unless they were all sterile.

Deligating rare traits and talents through the Caste system? Mixed feelings, though if it cannot be done through extrapolation then yeah Caste would be the way to do it.

Well I can't say I havn't though of strange variations. Such as Adventurer Castes that don't breed but are selectable by the player for adventurer mode
I thought heroes were supposed to typically be very prolific...

If there were ways of navigating into other castes they could just go from adventurer to hero but oh well.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9469 on: December 29, 2009, 01:48:45 am »

That isn't what I meant.

I meant the Adventurer Caste will only occur when selected by the player for Adventure mode.

Though 0 chance Castes make sense to me especially when magic is involved. They represent a latent potentiality that can no longer be achieved.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9470 on: December 29, 2009, 02:50:30 am »

Though 0 chance Castes make sense to me especially when magic is involved. They represent a latent potentiality that can no longer be achieved.

Oho, this gives me the idea to use castes to implement lycanthropy (until it can be done properly as a curse of some sort). You could create a very rare caste of dwarf that looks just like the ordinary caste when young, but then on maturity develops into a wolf-like creature and goes berserk.

I haven't been able to follow the details of the new raws, does that sound like a plausible approach?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9471 on: December 29, 2009, 02:59:16 am »

I don't think Castes can cause dramatic body differences yet.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9472 on: December 29, 2009, 03:01:59 am »

Castes can. You can have castes with completely different bodies. It's growth stages that can't have different bodies yet.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9473 on: December 29, 2009, 03:10:23 am »

Castes can. You can have castes with completely different bodies. It's growth stages that can't have different bodies yet.

I am guessing that Castes cannot be linked to age either.

So you have everyone being born into their castes rather then having their castes fulfilled at a future date.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #9474 on: December 29, 2009, 03:29:30 am »

Haven't you been paying attention?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9475 on: December 29, 2009, 03:31:14 am »

Information links and combines with others.

So yes I have been paying attention.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9476 on: December 29, 2009, 03:39:46 am »

Information links and combines with others.

So yes I have been paying attention.

He's right though, that particular bit of information (creatures are stuck in one caste for their entire life) has come up so many times in this thread that anyone who's reading should know by now.  Well, maybe this time's the charm.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9477 on: December 29, 2009, 05:54:33 am »

I have an amazing idea for a fantasy-based race involving castes, though I haven't fully thought through it yet. If I can't come up with a distinct culture/appearance I would probably just overhaul the elves.

Initial thoughts: all warriors come from a eunuch caste, one rare caste of "prophets" (aiming for one every few generations), men rarer than women (2:3 perhaps).

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9478 on: December 29, 2009, 07:17:06 am »

Hmm, well, I can't say that makes sense, since warriors kinda need testosterone or whatever to perform better. Historically, eunuchs didn't make great warriors, as they produced less aggression, which is kinda necessary for combatants.

But feel free to correct me.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9479 on: December 29, 2009, 08:07:24 am »

Hmm, well, I can't say that makes sense, since warriors kinda need testosterone or whatever to perform better. Historically, eunuchs didn't make great warriors, as they produced less aggression, which is kinda necessary for combatants.

Agreed.

Also, Woot! Go Toady!
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 1065