Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632829 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9450 on: December 28, 2009, 07:34:33 pm »

If the fortress-playable race includes castes which are wildly different sizes, will the player still be able to make appropriately sized clothing for all of them?  Or is clothing universalized or some other temporary solution?

On this, i found only this
08/03/2009: (...) Greened out another section on the list. Doing that mostly involved adding a notion of energy storage after eating and then making fat and muscular dwarves become larger, both overall and by the specific tissue, with effects on speed, insulation, taking damage, combat effects like being knocked over, etc. It uses the recuperation attribute to differentiate them metabolically at this point, so some dwarves will retain more fat than others, assuming they are eating the same amount. For now, tissues can only be set to thicken according to strength (like muscles) and/or energy storage (like fat). It's still pretty lax with clothing, so you shouldn't have to worry about making clothes in different sizes, either for children or different adults.

i thought it wasnt very relevant to the case, but then i remembered, children are smaller than adults, now

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9451 on: December 28, 2009, 07:40:44 pm »

On the Hydra test, although this sounds simple, and could be addressed with workarounds, like the cat bug, how do you think Toady will tackle it?

I was thinking something like instead of any decapitation being instantly fatal, it will be changed so that it is treated more like limb removal if there are more than one.
i.e. As long as something has one head remaining it can still fight. Provided it doesn't die from the heavy bleeding which would ensue. Sort of like a "number of heads must be <0 or instadeath" but that might have problems in itself.

Well, that's my two cents, anyone else?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9452 on: December 28, 2009, 08:08:06 pm »

More rare: no, biomes etc. can't be set at the caste level.

Are you sure there isn't a way to make castes percentage based?

Generally, if there are 2 castes within a creature, there is a 50-50 chance either way. Is there a way to alter that so that it can be set to become more like 99% one way and 1% the other?
Yes but even if there wasn't a setting for that you could still accomplish it by, say, making 99 copies of the generic castes (altering the program name but not the display name if necessary,) and having the one gender pair rare caste type.

On the Hydra test, although this sounds simple, and could be addressed with workarounds, like the cat bug, how do you think Toady will tackle it?

I was thinking something like instead of any decapitation being instantly fatal, it will be changed so that it is treated more like limb removal if there are more than one.
i.e. As long as something has one head remaining it can still fight. Provided it doesn't die from the heavy bleeding which would ensue. Sort of like a "number of heads must be <0 or instadeath" but that might have problems in itself.

Well, that's my two cents, anyone else?
The issue is that the loss of any "think" organ is debilitating. With dwarves they have the brain and the spine- you wouldn't want them losing their spine but being ok because they still had their brain right?

If Toady had this in mind when he revamped the whole body system it could just require one of each think organ from the original body plan but there are all kinds of other ways to do it, like if you wanted to require at least x brains.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9453 on: December 28, 2009, 08:18:25 pm »

The issue is that when you think of it, losing a head is usually lethal even if you had another one.

So the Hydra would need something extra in order to survive

Likewise many animals are capable of surviving multiple limb destruction as if nothing happened.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9454 on: December 28, 2009, 08:26:17 pm »

The issue is that when you think of it, losing a head is usually lethal even if you had another one.

So the Hydra would need something extra in order to survive

Likewise many animals are capable of surviving multiple limb destruction as if nothing happened.

like some amphibians, some even regenerate limbs, or reptiles that lose their tails, its a fairly thick bodypart, likelly very irrigated... so, i'd say a hidra being reptilian or amphibian would probably have some biomythological mechanism to easilly survive a single beheading, though several could do the trick

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9455 on: December 28, 2009, 08:30:55 pm »

In some the Hydra regrows its heads back soo fast you had to burn the stubs.

Though I've rarely seen Hydras where you weren't required to chop off all their heads. A few are basically immortal except for the removal of their heads (Which is lame)

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9456 on: December 28, 2009, 08:45:37 pm »

Rarity is apparently supposed to be very customizable. If you listen to the recent preview podcast, Toady talks about setting rarity on panthers for an accurate number of black panthers, and even a very low chance for a rare white panther. I believe the numbers he gave were in the thousand range, so it should be even better precision than %.

Phant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9457 on: December 28, 2009, 08:47:29 pm »

Hmm, castes, different sizes... Motie fortress anyone? :D

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9458 on: December 28, 2009, 08:59:12 pm »

Also, if you had been doing that for a plant instead of a creature, it probably still wouldn't work to apply material properties after a DRINK tag.  I think the game would just ignore it rather than try to apply it to all its materials or whatever.  What'd you want is this:

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DRINK:PLANT_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE]
    [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen unicorn spleen wine] <-- note that it's done immediately after the material declaration
[DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]

But from plant_standard.txt:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9459 on: December 28, 2009, 09:03:09 pm »

The issue with percents is if you go above 100.

I "think" Toady uses a number system instead. Not sure what you would call it. (I am VERY iffy, so don't quote me)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9460 on: December 28, 2009, 09:10:24 pm »

SO... could I make a creature that was 5 parts panther, 2 parts iguana, and 8 parts eagle, so that whenever two of those animals bred, it'd have a fraction-type chance of giving birth to either a panther, iguana, or eagle?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9461 on: December 28, 2009, 09:12:46 pm »

SO... could I make a creature that was 5 parts panther, 2 parts iguana, and 8 parts eagle, so that whenever two of those animals bred, it'd have a fraction-type chance of giving birth to either a panther, iguana, or eagle?

Ohh no I meant with castes

So if a wolf had three colors being: 3 Brown, 5 Black, 2 White. it would equate a 30% chance of brown wolves, 50% of black wolves, and 20% of white wolves.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9462 on: December 28, 2009, 09:26:09 pm »

Rarity is apparently supposed to be very customizable. If you listen to the recent preview podcast, Toady talks about setting rarity on panthers for an accurate number of black panthers, and even a very low chance for a rare white panther. I believe the numbers he gave were in the thousand range, so it should be even better precision than %.

That's a different type of rarity, though -- it's just a weighting on the appearance modifier for hair color.  We were talking about rarity of castes.

But from plant_standard.txt:

Ah, you're right.  The DRINK tag still wouldn't work in a creature, though.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9463 on: December 28, 2009, 10:10:17 pm »

Hope you're feeling better, Toady

What type of changes to Legends mode (and world generation in general)  can we expect?

I know we're bound to see a lot of indirect changes due to the body part overhaul (such as megabeasts living longer) as well as some direct changes like forgotten beast impersonations and the like. My question more has to do with the results of these changes...are you noticing a more variety in worlds than before? Perhaps more rejections? Any other interesting stories you haven't shared with the devlog?

I am a huge fan of Legends mode

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9464 on: December 28, 2009, 10:19:50 pm »

That's a different type of rarity, though -- it's just a weighting on the appearance modifier for hair color.  We were talking about rarity of castes.

I swear Footkerchief, every time I think I have a handle on something, you're there to set me straight. :P Thanks. Any clue where Toady mentioned this?
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 1065