Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632573 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9360 on: December 27, 2009, 06:44:31 am »

If I donated chicken soup, its condition by the time it got to Toady would be... suspect.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #9361 on: December 27, 2009, 06:49:26 am »

So, a get well soon thread in GD?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #9362 on: December 27, 2009, 07:48:48 am »

Except for the fact that the Norwegians had a tremendous influence on the English language and the English in general, making it very possible that Adams was orignally a Norwegian last name.

Adams is definitely not a common Norwegian last name today (and has probably never been), as our consensus bureau tells us (It's called SSB for those petualant enough out there). I haven't heard it in a Norwegian setting before at all. But it could have been derived from Adamsen, which means son of Adam. Adam is a Hebrew name, but Adamsen would be Norwegian or Scandinavian derived, if someone in Norway imported the name Adam and had a son...

Or he could be Norwegian on his mother's/grandparents' side.
Bingo. His grandmother's half norwegian.

Which does not make Adams a norwegian name. :P
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Ninjabob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9363 on: December 27, 2009, 07:51:15 am »

That does sound more likely but leaves out all sorts of fun name-detectiving :P

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9364 on: December 27, 2009, 07:53:18 am »

That's for colds you madman! You have to feed a cold and starve a fever.

Or something like that, I'm not a doctor!

I'm guessing your joking, but i have an urge to clarify.

It's starve a cold, feed a fever. and it has nothing to do with food. It's actually all about staying warm. when a person has a cold, you warm them up, starving the "cold". when they have a fever, you "feed" it by (you guessed it) keeping warm.

either way, Get well soon, Toady!
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #9365 on: December 27, 2009, 07:56:19 am »

That make no sense. It's starve a fever, feed a cold, and it means food.

Also:

Quote from: SurnameDB
Surname: Adams

This interesting surname is a patronymic of Adam, which is of English origin, and is from the Hebrew personal name "Adam", which was borne, according to Genesis, by the first man. The name is of uncertain etymology; however, it is often said to be from the Hebrew "adama", earth. It was very popular as a given name among non-Jews throughout Europe in the Middle Ages. The personal name was first recorded in England with one "Adam Warenarius " in Lincolnshire in 1146 - 1153. The surname development since 1281 (see below) includes the following: John Adamsone (1296, Scotland), William Adames (1327, Worcestershire) and Richard Adamessone (circa 1400, Norfolk). The second president of the United States, John Adams (1735 - 1826), and his son John Quincy Adams (1767 - 1848), who became the sixth president, were descended from Henry Adams, a yeoman farmer who had emigrated from Barton St. David, Somerset, to Massachusetts (United States of America) in 1640. Among the recordings in London is the marriage of Robert Adams and Jane Stanton on September 25th 1573 at St. Dunstan's, Stepney. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Alianor Adam, which was dated 1281, witness in the "Assize Rolls of Cheshire", during the reign of King Edward 1, known as "The Hammer of the Scots", 1272 - 1307. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 08:00:33 am by Akigagak »
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9366 on: December 27, 2009, 08:01:59 am »

My guess is his Norwegian family had some ridiculous last name which was changed when they came to America.

Alright, i'm taking a cue from Footkerchief

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Should_you_feed_a_fever_or_starve_a_cold

and

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/starve-cold-feed-fever

Ultimately, we are both right and wrong, i was a bit more wrong than you.

essentially the adage IS feed a cold, starve a fever, however, many people will tell you that starving or overeating taxes the system and is not good when you are sick. i believe it was adapted later by doctors or something to indicate that you should keep warm, but i'm not completely sure on that.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 08:09:35 am by thedrelle »
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9367 on: December 27, 2009, 09:13:47 am »

Norwegian names aren't really that bad, considering that they were originally formed by taking the father's name (e.g. Anderssen) or the name of the location where one lived and adding them to one's name, and it is likely that they would be easily anglicized (for example, Anderssen -> Anderson) without significantly change from the original form.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9368 on: December 27, 2009, 09:27:10 am »

Even Zoom To Building?
That is a bug with the most nefarious of schedules, infrequent enough to catchyou off guard, but frequent enoughthat people will know about it and will have you tear your hair screaming WHYYYYY

Because on megaprojects, it's so much better than manually hunting down the couple of Suspended segments...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 09:31:42 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9369 on: December 27, 2009, 11:33:38 am »

You could just let the dwarves continue construction and the suspended segment will show up, unless its on a critical part of the megaproject, but yea I get what you mean.

Zooming to the suspended building from the jobs screen usually works, its the (r)ooms menu that is notorious for crashing.

Anyways, hope ya feel better tomorrow Toady! Be sure to drink lots of water as that is importaint for a fever. I also hope Scamps senses that Toady isn't feeling so good and acts like a cuddly kitten for a while, but you know, cats.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9370 on: December 27, 2009, 12:59:47 pm »

Toady is taken by the flu.
Toady cancels develop Dwarf Fortress: too sick.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9371 on: December 27, 2009, 01:01:39 pm »

Zooming to the suspended building from the jobs screen usually works, its the (r)ooms menu that is notorious for crashing.
Both can crash.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9372 on: December 27, 2009, 01:06:48 pm »

Both can crash.

Yea, I've had it happen there, but it seems to do it less often than the rooms menu. The rooms menu is still useful for pinpointing where a particular dwarfs bedroom is so I can reassign it.

The main reason why its notorious to me is that I tried to use the rooms menu to jump to various zones and it crashes every single time I tried to zoom to a zone.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:09:19 pm by smjjames »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9373 on: December 27, 2009, 01:09:00 pm »

The flu... that's what happens when you do things like take breaks and interact with the outside world.  It's punishment from the gaming gods!  Back to work!  But really, hope you're feeling better.

Oh, also, quick followup on this:

Quote from: Toady One
I haven't updated race-glosses yet, and I'm not sure if I will yet (it's in the countdown but isn't a top priority).  That was always sort of a strange hack to get an extra descriptor out in front of the creature (it was used originally for animated trees which aren't even used in the game anymore -- the elven druids used to cast spells on the forest outside the 2D cliff).
Quote from: dev_now
12/05/2008: [...] I also gutted the RACEGLOSS system from the raws. I'm not sure I'll replace it this time around -- that would probably involve a few short-cuts that would allow you to automatically generate creature morphs from a material/plant list with proper material replacements for each one.

Did racegloss end up getting updated?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:16:28 pm by Footkerchief »

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9374 on: December 27, 2009, 01:14:00 pm »

Kidiri cancels browse Bay12 fora: Give water.
Kidiri cancels give water: Needs empty bucket.

Damn it! Where's my bucket?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 1065