Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631796 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9120 on: December 23, 2009, 01:43:57 am »

[ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]

This gives me a mental image of a dwarf training for years in the art of Bite-Fu.

Actually, it came up earlier that your soldiers will do exactly that if you mod biting to be a primary-level attack.  They'll attend biting demonstrations, do solo biting drills, and bite-spar.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9121 on: December 23, 2009, 01:47:59 am »

That sounds absolutely incredible. Im giggling in my chair now at the thought of 15 or so dwarves watching a bite demonstration.

I love this game.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9122 on: December 23, 2009, 01:49:20 am »

What would be incredibly awesome is if we could tell dwarves what attacks were primary and what were secondary. Like i could select these six dwarves and tell them to train Throwing, and then once they were ledgendary throwers i could give them serrated discs and send them out hunting until their ambusher skill was high, then i would have my own Dwarven Ninja Clan.

This must be done! I wonder how hard it would be.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9123 on: December 23, 2009, 01:53:15 am »

You can give them weapons, but I don't think you can just train them in throwing. Toady actually talked about this sort of thing, IIRC. It seems that the only way for a dwarf to train the throwing skill is by throwing stuff when he tantrums.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9124 on: December 23, 2009, 01:55:18 am »

Which is a shame, since throwing is so effective in adventure mode.

Unless it gets nerfed, that is.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9125 on: December 23, 2009, 02:01:07 am »

Throwing should be one of default competencies for any fair dwarf lady.

Bring on engraved masterwork Obsidian mugs!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: December 23, 2009, 02:04:56 am »

Let's think about that. The ranged weapons have been redefined and now launch their ammo with a certain force and certain max speed, presumably depending on the weight of the ammo. If normal throwing is redefined the same way, then there's not going to be a lot you can do throwing, for example, butterflies, unless there is a bug that does not limit their flight speed or your throw speed.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9127 on: December 23, 2009, 02:06:53 am »

You can give them weapons, but I don't think you can just train them in throwing. Toady actually talked about this sort of thing, IIRC. It seems that the only way for a dwarf to train the throwing skill is by throwing stuff when he tantrums.

Oh i know, what i meant was how hard it would be for Toady to let you set which attacks are primary and which are secondary in-game.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: December 23, 2009, 02:07:44 am »

I could see though, that if throwing were a 'primary' attacking method, a funny bug would be if they were programmed to throw whatever was in their hands at the moment. Mothers going to battle with their child would shock and amaze as they used their child as a projectile to kill invading goblins, then cancelled fighting to pick the baby up, then threw him again.

I can practically see it.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9129 on: December 23, 2009, 02:09:12 am »

Ovbiously you'd have to first be able to set 'weapons to use' as well, so that Dwarves didn't start stripping themselves to throw their clothes at enemies.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: December 23, 2009, 02:16:02 am »

In which case, I'd tell them to feel free to use the bins as quivers, and the mugs as ammo.

It'd be the best use for them yet!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: December 23, 2009, 02:19:36 am »

Mugs will presumably become more useful when they are actually used to drink from, rather than Dwarves just throwing themselves bodily into the booze barrels and licking themselves dry.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: December 23, 2009, 02:38:40 am »

Yup, all a matter of pressure.  Doesn't matter if pressure is applied along a near razor edge, over your whole body, or something in between regardless it is going to do damage if the pressure is high enough.

Well, the pressure required to do a particular amount of damage is going to vary depending on the contact area and probably other factors.  Think about how snowshoes work.
Technically you do the same damage over any area, but "damage" has a slightly different meaning. slicing someone open could be the same amount of "damage" as a large bruise, just concentrated on a smaller area.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: December 23, 2009, 03:21:22 am »

It would also hurt alot more.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9134 on: December 23, 2009, 04:07:15 am »

Well you could make some disk-handling-gloves for them that used the disks as ammo. Wouldn't train the throwing skill per se but since it's basically not used in dwarf mode anyway might as well act like it doesn't exist.

It would also hurt alot more.
I thought really fine slices hurt less.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 1065