Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631524 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9150 on: December 23, 2009, 08:33:46 am »

That came up already, before we forked the discussion thanks to angry mob...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9151 on: December 23, 2009, 08:49:38 am »

Oh well.

A further off-topic note: I think I know when exactly DF will be complete. As in, completely complete. It will be complete exactly 1050 years after its development began.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9152 on: December 23, 2009, 10:00:10 am »

Gonna crosspost this year, though I'm sure a lot of the more dedicated gents in this topic know all of this stuff already. I compiled a list of the new features and changes the next version will have. I tried my best to grab the info from the devlog, this very thread, as well as the podcasts.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AT8EQVUjrv96ZGc5cnBwOHZfMjgyY3FzZHFtanA&hl=en

It's probably not everything and it may contain mistakes, but this behemoth is 11 pages long and contains almost 5000 words. Yeah. This is going to be a gigantic release.

This document is amazing.

Anyway, since there's now a lot of new ways to organize your army and defend your civilians, will there be new challenges ? (apart from the underground I mean)
Will the goblin come more often ? With stronger forces ? And especially - will they attack indefinitely, like it used to be ?

Well, nothing explicitly like that. As I said in the doc, Toady is viewing the underground, especially the new HFS and RNGers, as the ultimate challenge right now. Also remember the ability for endless sieges from the underground (not goblins, though).

However, some stuff may lend itself to more challenging play, such as the changes to the material, weapon/armor, and wound system. Battle is much more involved, and a much more deadly prospect than before.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9153 on: December 23, 2009, 11:42:53 am »

Hmm.
I'm not sure, but I seem to remember hearing (or reading) that some goblin civs could be living underground.
In any case, I figure goblins are a viable option for a 'layer's inhabitants' and thus unending in their assaults. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9154 on: December 23, 2009, 12:06:14 pm »

Oh well.

A further off-topic note: I think I know when exactly DF will be complete. As in, completely complete. It will be complete exactly 1050 years after its development began.

I think that's actually on-topic.  And it won't necessarily take 1050 years; we might run out of megabeasts much sooner than that. :D

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #9155 on: December 23, 2009, 01:06:23 pm »

With all of the new underground stuff, has any consideration been given to cave adaptation becoming more of an issue?

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9156 on: December 23, 2009, 01:10:59 pm »

The addition of burrows should mean that cave adaptation is less of an issue, since you can better control which dwarves go outside.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9157 on: December 23, 2009, 01:18:44 pm »

Hey, today's devlog got posted while I was writing this.  Primitive weapons and repopulation for the undergrounders.  Neato.

You still planning to release by th end of the year, toady?

It was never "planned."  It's still hoped, but no promises:

Anyway, I'm acting now as if I can get it out by the end of the year, and when that doesn't work out, there shouldn't be that much left.

Sutures will apparently act much like stuck-in items, so can they therefore be twisted in the wound or pulled out?
If so, would this just worsen the wound or remove the suture, or do anything nastier?

Yes, they can be pulled out.  This causes bleeding/pain, and presumably also removes the suture's beneficial effects like preventing infections:

Quote from: GaGrin
If sutures appear in the characters inventory much as a stuck-in item, will it be possible to rip them out and re-open a wound; and if not for this release, will similar effects like tearing and loosening of stiches be something you look at in future revisions?.
Quote from: Toaster
Are the sutures eligible targets for wrestling?  Would ripping them out cause bleeding and/or pain?

I've got code in that'll handle the sutures being torn out in terms of bleeding and pain (much like a stuck-in), but I don't know if they can be targeted.  They are explicitly skipped by most item-considering bits.  Ah, it appears that they can be targeted.  Sick.

Also, how do casts work? Can they be broken or cracked by further attacks?
Although that's kind of invalid if they count as wounded dwarves and would not participate in fights...

Also, no-item damage is OUT for this release, so I expect that casts will make fine clubs if one can swing 'em, but won't be breakable. (Maybe worsen the break under the cast by attacking, though the cast should distribute force in such a way that it won't.)

I don't think they can worsen the break by attacking.  That would count as "attacking part damage," too.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 01:21:58 pm by Footkerchief »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9158 on: December 23, 2009, 02:32:14 pm »

I still need to run a few more invasions and add little groups for the adventurer to find. These will all come from the same overall populations, which can be depleted and slowly come back if there are enough around. General wilderness populations are a little more complicated, so that's not in yet for them.

I get the feeling that Toady may have read my earlier question (may not have been green though) wondering about whether general wildife will be harder to extinct.

indoor/outdoor farming have been separated from the use of trees
Does this mean what I think it means? Either we can now farm trees for fruit or other non-wood products or (MUCH less likely) we can gather fruit and stuff off of trees. Or I could be completely misinterpreting this.

I know leaving trees uncut or whatever is elfy, but its perfectly dwarfy to use whatever resources they can get from the environment.

The addition of burrows should mean that cave adaptation is less of an issue, since you can better control which dwarves go outside.
Or you could just remove the cave adapt tag which is what I did.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:33:57 pm by smjjames »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9159 on: December 23, 2009, 02:43:26 pm »

indoor/outdoor farming have been separated from the use of trees
Does this mean what I think it means? Either we can now farm trees for fruit or other non-wood products or (MUCH less likely) we can gather fruit and stuff off of trees. Or I could be completely misinterpreting this.

Yeah, I don't see how it could be interpreted to mean either of those.  My guess is that it just means that entities can now have farming without tree use, or tree use without farming.  Judging from context, he probably made this change so that the underground animal peoples, who don't farm, can still use trees to make wooden weapons.  I'm not sure what it was about the current entity structure that prevented this.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9160 on: December 23, 2009, 03:31:34 pm »

Also, how do casts work? Can they be broken or cracked by further attacks?
Although that's kind of invalid if they count as wounded dwarves and would not participate in fights...

Also, no-item damage is OUT for this release, so I expect that casts will make fine clubs if one can swing 'em, but won't be breakable. (Maybe worsen the break under the cast by attacking, though the cast should distribute force in such a way that it won't.)

I don't think they can worsen the break by attacking.  That would count as "attacking part damage," too.
I flubbed that, meant someone attacking the arm in question.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9161 on: December 23, 2009, 03:40:57 pm »

Ooh, ooh, I just remembered something!

Since you're now handling the tree/plant use for entities, could you look into a problem with the [BARRED]-only armor items? Specifically, gloves and boots seem to be susceptible to the problem. They're supposed to be made from bone, but end up being made from cloth. I don't know how the whole material rewrite thing has affected it, but can you check?

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9162 on: December 23, 2009, 03:43:36 pm »

I flubbed that, meant someone attacking the arm in question.

Ah, gotcha.  Yeah, I imagine the cast acts as armor/clothing to a limited extent, but the limb can still receive further injuries.

Ooh, ooh, I just remembered something!

Since you're now handling the tree/plant use for entities, could you look into a problem with the [BARRED]-only armor items? Specifically, gloves and boots seem to be susceptible to the problem. They're supposed to be made from bone, but end up being made from cloth. I don't know how the whole material rewrite thing has affected it, but can you check?

Can you clarify a bit?  Do they end up getting made from bone AND cloth, or just cloth?  Is there a discrepancy between what you can make in Fortress Mode and "generated" items, e.g. stuff brought by merchants?

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9163 on: December 23, 2009, 03:46:47 pm »

The latest iPhone, as far as I can tell, has a 600 MHz ARM CPU

I really want to make a Total Annihilation joke about "cores" here but it just isn't working.

It appears the conflict over the transfer of consciousness from flesh to machine has moved from decimating a million worlds to running our Ipods.

Well, ARM Resource Management Division has to make money somehow. KBots are expensive!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9164 on: December 23, 2009, 03:50:14 pm »

Clarification: Modded items that contain only [BARRED] as their material preference will, for lack of bone material to choose from, be made out of cloth and only cloth. This has no effect on making the items in fort mode (since you have bone available), but adventurer mode shops and fort mode traders frequently stock "rope reed plated gauntlets" in my games.

Also, given the theme, I fear DF will never run on ARM CPUs. Because its main functions are composed of Core items.

Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 1065