Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631746 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9105 on: December 23, 2009, 12:35:59 am »

And what creature would that be?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9106 on: December 23, 2009, 12:37:43 am »

And what creature would that be?

Some sort of Fish.

Though I GUESS I could look it up, it is just hard to find animals based off of vague descriptions.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:40:42 am by Neonivek »

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9107 on: December 23, 2009, 12:41:41 am »

The latest iPhone, as far as I can tell, has a 600 MHz ARM CPU

I really want to make a Total Annihilation joke about "cores" here but it just isn't working.

Classic RTS high five! :holds hand out for high five:

This may have been asked before, and this may not be the right place to put it, but: If a dwarf (or any creature) has no teeth and no limbs, will the creature try to gum the enemy to death?

There is a creature in real life that has no teeth and it basically does JUST that to crush you to death.

Yup, all a matter of pressure.  Doesn't matter if pressure is applied along a near razor edge, over your whole body, or something in between regardless it is going to do damage if the pressure is high enough.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9108 on: December 23, 2009, 12:47:14 am »

I really want to make a Total Annihilation joke about "cores" here but it just isn't working.

Classic RTS high five! :holds hand out for high five:

This may have been asked before, and this may not be the right place to put it, but: If a dwarf (or any creature) has no teeth and no limbs, will the creature try to gum the enemy to death?

There is a creature in real life that has no teeth and it basically does JUST that to crush you to death.

Yup, all a matter of pressure.  Doesn't matter if pressure is applied along a near razor edge, over your whole body, or something in between regardless it is going to do damage if the pressure is high enough.

Of course, anything will do damage if enough force is applied. I think DF has already proved you can kill someone with a thrown grain of sand if you throw it hard enough.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9109 on: December 23, 2009, 12:47:40 am »

I don't think the game has the connections to count teeth for bite attacks so as long as their mouth doesn't get cut o-

Somebody is going to have to make an arena recording of a dwarf trying to bite a SoF, or in regular-game if they can set that up.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9110 on: December 23, 2009, 12:50:08 am »

Well specifically when you have no teeth your crushing people with your Jawbone. Which would be rather painful

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9111 on: December 23, 2009, 01:05:07 am »

As long as your muscles were strong enough, yes, yes it would hurt alot. But if you'd just had all your limbs lopped off, you're not going to be in the mood for some gumming.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9112 on: December 23, 2009, 01:15:40 am »

It appears the conflict over the transfer of consciousness from flesh to machine has moved from decimating a million worlds to running our Ipods.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9113 on: December 23, 2009, 01:19:38 am »

Interesting question.  I'm pretty sure it hasn't come up before.  My guess is no, since there would be no body parts left for the bite attack to use, and no "gum" body part to use instead:

[ATTACK:BITE:CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH]
[ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
[ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
[ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]

I don't think the game has the connections to count teeth for bite attacks so as long as their mouth doesn't get cut o-

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "connections," but it does count the teeth.  In the above example, it finds all the teeth on a given head and adds up their relsizes to get a total contact area, to which ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC is applied.  This controls the wound dimensions.  If teeth get knocked out, the bite will create a smaller wound.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 01:22:49 am by Footkerchief »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9114 on: December 23, 2009, 01:26:25 am »

That is amazingly detailed, and I am suddenly enthralled for vague reasons.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9115 on: December 23, 2009, 01:36:27 am »

This gives me a mental image of a dwarf training for years in the art of Bite-Fu.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9116 on: December 23, 2009, 01:37:10 am »

Well, the pressure required to do a particular amount of damage is going to vary depending on the contact area and probably other factors.  Think about how snowshoes work.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9117 on: December 23, 2009, 01:39:13 am »

Is the new version going to be out by x mas?

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9118 on: December 23, 2009, 01:40:11 am »

This gives me a mental image of a dwarf training for years in the art of Bite-Fu.

Legendary Biter

I guarantee it, since Biting is a skill, it can be trained. Yet another roadblock to getting a dwarf to legendary in all skills, sadly, but I bet it trains for armless dwarves when wrestling.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9119 on: December 23, 2009, 01:43:37 am »

Legendary Biter

I guarantee it, since Biting is a skill, it can be trained. Yet another roadblock to getting a dwarf to legendary in all skills, sadly, but I bet it trains for armless dwarves when wrestling.

Dwarves won't use skills in combat that aren't set as their primary attacks or some-such.

Toady used throwing as an example: Someone who throws stuff during a tantrum will learn the skill and then be able to teach it to other dwarves, but they won't actually use it in normal combat.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 1065