Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637225 times)

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7200 on: November 20, 2009, 11:16:45 pm »

I don't think I'd ever accept a sexist dwarf civ. I'd probably delete the world and re-gen. Some of my most impressive champions have been female.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: November 20, 2009, 11:25:56 pm »

Hopefully in a few versions, you could start as another dwarf civ and start a war against them, led by elite female champions.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: November 20, 2009, 11:35:14 pm »

Haha, true. I can't wait for that version myself. To finally be able to take the fight to the elves for once, not that it would be much of a fight. Maybe a better term would be a slaughter, or a picnic.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: November 21, 2009, 12:14:09 am »

A late thought on weapon naming;

Will there be a culling of unimportant named weapons in worldgen as with unimportant historical figures, or are the criteria limited enough that all cases of a weapon being named will be worth keeping?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: November 21, 2009, 12:37:50 am »

Will there be a culling of unimportant named weapons in worldgen as with unimportant historical figures, or are the criteria limited enough that all cases of a weapon being named will be worth keeping?

It won't track weapons in worldgen at all yet: "It also keeps track of the item used to kill critters now (including both missile weapons and ammunition), and that'll pop up on the legends screen for every death that occurs once play begins (didn't have time to generate consistent weapon data for world gen)."  So I guess you could say it's going to cull all of them.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: November 21, 2009, 01:19:41 am »

Yeah, I think we need artifacts in world gen before regular named weapons.

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: November 21, 2009, 03:34:42 am »

Anyone else think "Thud" when people are talking about dwarven genders?

On the note of named Missiles: Comparing arrows to bullets is a little unfair (despite DFs weapons firing faster than uzis), I do however agree with named siege bolts as they would be a little easier to salvage (i'll also claim fandom to Glen Cooks "Black Company" series where one mage makes an anti mage ballista bolt that he drags around for years).

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: November 21, 2009, 03:43:56 am »

Speaking of american politically-correct stuff...

Are we going to have slavery? Pyramids wont build themselves...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: November 21, 2009, 03:49:54 am »

There already is a form of "slavery" in the game, just not in dwarf mode. It's mentioned in Legends when certain races conquer another.

There was already a massive shitstorm about it, and dwarves don't abide by slavery anyhow, so no need to add it in any more.

To put it practically, there's about a million other things Toady could be coding so it's a moot point..
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 03:55:30 am by KaelGotDwarves »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: November 21, 2009, 04:51:01 am »

Yes.  Here are some dev items relating to slaves (and captive laborers, which can amount to the same thing):

# PowerGoal8, NEW SOLDIERS, (Future): You conquer a city and take prisoners back to home, pressing them into service.
# PowerGoal71, YOUR PLATFORM, (Future): The slaves carry a giant platform on which you sit above the reserves behind your advancing army. When your army enter a narrow ravine, you are fired upon by kobold archers.
# PowerGoal115, THE DEATH DRIVE, (Future): The goblin prisoners tow your carriage through the pass. Whipping them doesn't seem to work after a time and you get snowed in. Running low on food, you decide to cook and eat the old goblins and keep the fresh ones.

Slavery is also one of the ethical issues that civilizations can have opinions on, so you can bet on more being done with it at some point.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: November 21, 2009, 06:48:42 am »

I don't think I'd ever accept a sexist dwarf civ. I'd probably delete the world and re-gen. Some of my most impressive champions have been female.

So true: after all, Tholtig was the greatest warrior that dwarfkind has ever seen.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: November 21, 2009, 07:13:35 am »

So true: after all, Tholtig was the greatest warrior that dwarfkind has ever seen.

Pah; women just don't have the same muscle strength as men. That's why their place is on the battlefield; the men need to save their strength to forge the weapons and armor they wear!

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: November 21, 2009, 08:10:29 am »

I'm considering a civ/pets with a "queen" member that will give birth to hundreds of "drones" over time. This looks possible with the caste system. However:

Will it be possible to change the length and frequency of pregnancies?

As I don't want for the queen to give birth to twenty at once. Five, four times as fast a normal would be good.

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: November 21, 2009, 09:22:00 am »

Yes.  Here are some dev items relating to slaves (and captive laborers, which can amount to the same thing):

# PowerGoal8, NEW SOLDIERS, (Future): You conquer a city and take prisoners back to home, pressing them into service.
# PowerGoal71, YOUR PLATFORM, (Future): The slaves carry a giant platform on which you sit above the reserves behind your advancing army. When your army enter a narrow ravine, you are fired upon by kobold archers.
# PowerGoal115, THE DEATH DRIVE, (Future): The goblin prisoners tow your carriage through the pass. Whipping them doesn't seem to work after a time and you get snowed in. Running low on food, you decide to cook and eat the old goblins and keep the fresh ones.
Now thats dwarven way to be practical.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: November 21, 2009, 09:30:03 am »

There already is a form of "slavery" in the game, just not in dwarf mode. It's mentioned in Legends when certain races conquer another.

There was already a massive shitstorm about it, and dwarves don't abide by slavery anyhow, so no need to add it in any more.

To put it practically, there's about a million other things Toady could be coding so it's a moot point..

Oh come on, "dwarves don't abide by slavery anyhow"?
What with hundreds of goblins in cages which we throw from towers and use as gladiators versus wardogs and beasts we capture?
Dwarves are the WORST slavers in the hands of a player. There's just not a lot of control in game mechanics yet, but it's here since early versions. Also don't tell me that it's bad to keep people in cages and make them to work but it's ok to burn them in magma :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 1065