Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575524 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6795 on: November 15, 2009, 10:12:10 am »

Are you a nocturnal amphibian now? lolz

Seriously, it's 7 AM on the west coast, but hey, its the weekend.

Edit: Just noticed that I think I'm asking more total questions (questions made, not percentage of all of them) than anybody else (not combined of course). But hey, I have alot of curiosity. I'm also really analytical and stuff, so.... heh. Nothing wrong with asking alot of questions as long as it doesn't go overboard or are irrelevant.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:20:44 am by smjjames »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: November 15, 2009, 10:13:56 am »

Are you a nocturnal amphibian now? lolz

Seriously, it's 7 AM on the west coast, but hey, its the weekend.
Most people who work with no real force keeping them diurnal tend to either become nocturnal or entirely divorced from regular sleep patterns.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: November 15, 2009, 10:23:44 am »

I was mainly joking around though, and its the weekend.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: November 15, 2009, 10:31:53 am »

Toady could become a polypashic sleeper. That kind of schedule allow you to sleep only 2-3 hrs per day, and it's ideal for home workers (the guy in the link work at home for instance), or other people with no regular schedules.

Of course, it's hard to adapt, but once you're over it, you've got something like 6 extra hours a day to work of do other stuff.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: November 15, 2009, 11:04:37 am »

The problem with Polyphasic sleeping is that some people believe it shouldn't be used over long periods of time. (Months and years)

There isn't any evidence of any downsides last I checked mostly because people don't keep it up for that long.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 11:16:10 am by Neonivek »

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6800 on: November 15, 2009, 12:29:16 pm »

Gah, I had a legitimate question, but I read through the latest posts of this thread and promptly forgot it. Something about castes and the new titans/demons.

IonKitten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6801 on: November 15, 2009, 12:52:07 pm »

I want this so bad. Considering selling artwork so I can donate. Go Toady Go!

Also, polyphasic sleeping is known to drive people crazy for unknown reasons, however they tend to be undocumenteed (a case of unreliable narrator, in that they don't realize that it's driving them nuts.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6802 on: November 15, 2009, 12:57:37 pm »

Well some psychologists theorised that lack of REM sleep (dreaming) drives people insane.

IonKitten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6803 on: November 15, 2009, 12:59:16 pm »

Hmmm... if my schedual were flexible enough, that might actually be a good thing considering that I have a lot of nightmares. xD
But yeah, not letting your subconcious present itself is a pretty bad idea.

PERHAPS WE CAN INTEGRATE THIS SLEEPING PATTERN AND RESULTING INSANITY TO DWARVES?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6804 on: November 15, 2009, 01:07:03 pm »

Dwarves are insane enough as they currently are.

Polyphasic sleeping is supposed to condition you to enter REM sleep imediately, if that's even possible. There are some thoeries around that say that long term polyphasic sleeping causes people to go insane by causing the subconcious mind to manifest alot more causing people to have allucinations and very vivid dreams (and nightmares).
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: November 15, 2009, 01:12:09 pm »

I get nightmares but I mostly ignore them

Probably because the nightmares I had as a child couldn't possibly be topped by any nightmare. No really!

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: November 15, 2009, 02:02:27 pm »

Well some psychologists theorised that lack of REM sleep (dreaming) drives people insane.

Well, that's Sleep Deprivation. Polyphasic sleeping aim to get only REM sleep, or deep sleep.

The problem being that we don't know the effect of the other sleep phases (light sleep, etc.) and we don't know the effect of long-term Polyphasic sleeping, even if I never heard of anyone becoming insane while "polynapping". Then again, there's few documented examples of people doing it for more than one year.

pubby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: November 15, 2009, 02:17:20 pm »

[q]There are some thoeries around that say that long term polyphasic sleeping causes people to get into a strange mood and cause them to have sudden urges to make strange objects [/q]
Fix'd

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6808 on: November 15, 2009, 04:28:36 pm »

Makes for a pretty good episode of Star Trek though.

When I was a kid, one of the worst nightmares I ever had was, funnily enough of the Bronze Collossus, from Jason and the Argonauts. Except in my dream it was shaped like Lord Nelson, from the statue in Trafalgar Square which either makes it infinately more, or less terrifying. Still made that horrible shrieking metal noise that Talos makes in the film though. Ugh

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6809 on: November 15, 2009, 04:56:54 pm »

Have you determined the cause of the "dwarves run around naked" bug from the dev log 2 days ago?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 1065