Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638278 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4785 on: September 18, 2009, 05:57:17 pm »

I think Mephansteras meant that it shouldn't require a workshop that requires a specific object where if you don't embark in the right place, you won't be able to make it and you can't ask for glass in trade.

While it's easy enough to mod some of the soil layers to be useable for sand collection, the point is that most workshops just require a bit of raw stone, wood, metal bars, or blocks to build. All of which are easy to get. The few that do need something as well else really only require barrels and buckets, which again, are easy to get.

@Footkerchief: Now if we could get the alchemists workshop to accept metal flasks.....
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 05:59:16 pm by smjjames »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: September 18, 2009, 07:19:08 pm »

Yeah, need to fix that so you don't become a superplaguefort automatically without local sand, tree-cutting bugs aside.

It's like how you can request flux, but only if they have access to it.

As for alchemist workshops, wouldn't certain precious metals satisfy the nonreactive requirement?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: September 18, 2009, 07:25:21 pm »

As for alchemist workshops, wouldn't certain precious metals satisfy the nonreactive requirement?

Well, the reactivity explanation falls a little flat anyway since the only "alchemy" is soapmaking, which you can do in any ordinary cooking pot.  Plus the alchemist's lab makes you use clear glass specifically, even though green glass is no more reactive (I think).

e: slight correction, it looks like lye will eat through aluminum, which shouldn't be a concern for working-class dwarves.  Other metals are probably okay though?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:31:52 pm by Footkerchief »

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #4788 on: September 18, 2009, 07:52:46 pm »

For soapmaking, honestly, the kitchen would make just as much sense.  And since soapmaking will be a raw'd reaction (by the looks of it anyway), and the alchemist's shop and kitchen will both be reaction-capable, it'll be easy to move the job over there.  I think that would automatically make it a job for Cooks, unless the new reactions have a profession parameter.

Sounds reasonable.
I've seen an old soap making workshop in my local historical thingy, and it was sort of largish/elaborate.
There was this big wooden support thing with a huge hanging pot, and a few benches. I guess a large kitchen could handle the task.
But it was pretty much a specialty task back then.

"Have you smelled Earl's soap? I swear he's been witchin' it somehow."
"Really? I don't get mine from him anymore." *Moves cloth sack behind back*
"That's odd, I thought he was the only one in the village with goats."
"Well... Um... I get mine from market."
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: September 18, 2009, 09:02:12 pm »

Well, the reactivity explanation falls a little flat anyway since the only "alchemy" is soapmaking, which you can do in any ordinary cooking pot.  Plus the alchemist's lab makes you use clear glass specifically, even though green glass is no more reactive (I think).

e: slight correction, it looks like lye will eat through aluminum, which shouldn't be a concern for working-class dwarves.  Other metals are probably okay though?

Platinum will be dissolved by basic solutions, so thats out (our chem department has lost several $400 platinum crucibles that way) but I'm pretty sure gold can handle it.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: September 18, 2009, 10:36:27 pm »

Gameplay-wise, if the Alchemy profession gains use, it'd likely involve more expensive and/or exotic materials for the hard stuff. Ergo, there needs to be some measure of training; mass-produced soap fills this requirement handily.

Also, with imported sand/glass goods, the Alchemist's workshop will no longer be a luxury for sand maps; getting one set up will be a crucial step towards protecting your fort against pandemic infections.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: September 19, 2009, 12:39:09 am »

Ladies and Gentledwarves, today is a dark day. At around the 16th of Granite we received word that the fortress of Butterflytoast, our patrons, were struck by an incurable death called the red splotches. The king was among those that died within the first month, and as far as we know the fortress has been completely unpopulated. Now for the bad news.

Yesterday, as the surgeon general made his rounds of the quarters, he noticed Urist Horntrench had passed out. Subsequent examination revealed that it was red splotches. Today the surgeon general and his immediate medical staff have all been diagnosed with the red splotches. Their infections are expected to become terminal at noon today, by which time we believe most of the populous will have contracted the disease as well.

My fellow dwarves, I now ask you to pray to your gods. Not for yourselves, your family, or your king. I ask you to pray for those that will survive, for even survival will be a dance with Armok. Thank you. I leave you to tend to my family.

Since most people probably didn't get the reference: Jack London's "The Scarlet Plague". (Which I haven't read yet, although it is freely available online at Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21970/21970-h/21970-h.htm)

There is a pretty awesome old-timey 1950's radio drama adaptation that you might enjoy listening to if Jualin's dorfatization intrigued you:
http://media.libsyn.com/media/scififriday/scififriday42.mp3

Kinnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: September 19, 2009, 01:57:35 am »

Urist The Surgeon requires an assistant to procure a head.
Urist The Surgeon requires an assistant to procure a head.
Urist The Surgeon requires an assistant to procure a torso.
Urist The Surgeon requires an assistant to procure a right arm.
Urist The Surgeon requires an assistant to procure a left right arm.
Urist The Surgeon requires an assistant to procure an elven left leg.
Urist The Surgeon requires an assistant to procure a cave spider right leg.

Changed slightly to produce a more dwarfy outcome.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: September 19, 2009, 05:39:14 am »

Quote from: Toady One
Now that soap isn't as worthless, it seems people want its making moved out of the alchemist's workshop
Wow, that was a quick response.

I'm doing custom workshops and furnaces
Awesome.

Still, since you can assign any number of reactions to the new buildings, and reactions can now be given required skills (from among existing types), this should be quite versatile for allowing modders to turn almost any item(s) into almost any other item(s) in more thematic workshops, using raw items and materials or the hard-coded ones.
Dwarf Fortress: Platonic weave from which all other sandbox games are cut?

Seriously, this is less of a game, more of a narrative whose paramaters you establish yourself to whatever precision you want.
Which, I guess, is what Toady is aiming for.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: September 19, 2009, 08:51:38 am »

I wonder if we can use the custom workshops/reactions to make "living" creatures?

Get some dwarf bones, some rotten meat, probably some modded material for flavor, and you get dwarven zombies.

If creatures can be created, then you'd just need to create a zombie dwarf in the raws, give him the [trAINABLE] tag(think that was it), and use the new venom system to have them kill invaders. If you can actually set it so their flesh is rotten, even better.

I don't know if infections or rotten flesh will affect other dwarves, but if so, you can use the burrows feature to seperate your "necromancers" from the rest of the fortress.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: September 19, 2009, 08:53:15 am »

custom workshops and furnaces
inb4 modded superworkshop that does everything
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: September 19, 2009, 08:54:02 am »

Not sure about crafting zombies, but a workshop that crafts Golems could be good.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: September 19, 2009, 09:17:26 am »

The new custom workshops seem like they could hold a great deal of potential. Since you can choose what skill is trained it could be possible to set up "training dummies" by creating a custom workshop that would require certain materials, rock, wood, corpses, and train their weapon skills.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: September 19, 2009, 09:29:57 am »

The new custom workshops seem like they could hold a great deal of potential. Since you can choose what skill is trained it could be possible to set up "training dummies" by creating a custom workshop that would require certain materials, rock, wood, corpses, and train their weapon skills.
The main question is - WHEN?

When this version will be released?
Finis sanctificat media.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4799 on: September 19, 2009, 09:32:02 am »

Avast, thie be a question of'en axed on these hear shores, matey.

Arrrr.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 1065